Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
the magnet attracts the metal particles, so that when you drain your oil you can remove the majority of them via the magnets.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Filter-Mag's are nice,,,,

No 'magnet cleaning' involved,,,

RedViper94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL! I just finished reading the entire post! Very informational, I also had an oil "leak", went to the dealer and found that the filter had started to back itself off. My truck currently has almost 30,000 miles on it and I have been letting the dealer do the oil changes because they were free. The leak was around 20k, they told me that Ram had found a problem with the OEM filter backing off and had changed the part number. For the life of me I can't remember if the new filter they put on was the smaller or bigger version. I'm due for an oil change shortly and I have no tick other than the injectors. Thanks for all the great info!!!

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
LOL! I just finished reading the entire post! Very informational, I also had an oil "leak", went to the dealer and found that the filter had started to back itself off. My truck currently has almost 30,000 miles on it and I have been letting the dealer do the oil changes because they were free. The leak was around 20k, they told me that Ram had found a problem with the OEM filter backing off and had changed the part number. For the life of me I can't remember if the new filter they put on was the smaller or bigger version. I'm due for an oil change shortly and I have no tick other than the injectors. Thanks for all the great info!!!

^^ I have experienced the same problem twice before.

RedViper94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stopped at the dealer and they gave me the Mopar numbers on the filter, the original (bigger) filter was MO-899, part # 0488-4899-AC-001, this is the one that backed itself off, The one they replaced it with (smaller) is MO-339, part # 04892339AA, they buy their oil in bulk obviously and said that it's Pennzoil Syn Blend. I asked them about changing from 5W20 to the 5w30 and they said that it wasn't a problem and if any problems occurred (you get it fixed here anyways)! I'm thinking of trying the Redline 5w30 with the Royal Purple filter. My question is, Which filter # should I use?
Thanks!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you have the 1500, your royal purple filter for a 2013 5.7 is part number 10-48.

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
FYI I had a pepboys giftcard to use up and went to stockup and buy that same filter, with there current sale using promo code 35FORALL they work out to $9.75 a unit, pretty good deal figured I'd share the news on this thread since the consensus seems to be RP filter is the way to go.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the 1500, your royal purple filter for a 2013 5.7 is part number 10-48.
I just did an oil change (7 quarts Redline 5w20) with the big filter royal purple 20-820 for my 2013 5.7. Mine came from factory with the big filter installed. Will I have problems?

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine came with the big filter from the factory as well and mines a 13. You should be fine with that.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just did an oil change (7 quarts Redline 5w20) with the big filter royal purple 20-820 for my 2013 5.7. Mine came from factory with the big filter installed. Will I have problems?
Do you have electric power steering? I do and big filter fits fine, just curious.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have electric power steering? I do and big filter fits fine, just curious.

So if the previous years oil filters work on the 13+ models, why would they switch to a smaller size?

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if the previous years oil filters work on the 13+ models, why would they switch to a smaller size?

Could be a few reasons,,,

OCI's are longer on the later models,,, Perhaps the specs of the prior filter did not meet that criteria.

Smaller, more compact. Might be able to utilize the same filter on several vehicles instead of having multiple types of filters for multiple types of vehicles,,,

Bigger is not always better,,,

Last edited:

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So not being decided yet on an oil I started evaluating multiple oil anaylsis available across multiple sources on da internetz! mwwwahhhaha

My focus was narrowed to synthetics but that's about it. One thing that kept jumping out as I looked at good UOA vs there respective original VOA where two line items Molys and Boron. I know there was several statements made about moly in an attempt to counter friction and wear leading it to be a desirable attribute to combat said friction and wear but that left me scratching my head with if a blend doesn't have moly how are they battling it, obviously by other additives or not at all. If not at all, then the UOA would show significant wears metals easily ruling them out as not a good oil to pursue. That lead me to seeing ones with high Boron when it was weak in Moly. As it turns out it seems like blends are generally one or the other or a balance thereof. That's just my novice observation, it could be I've just stared at too many numbers and anaylsis LOL. So yea, all of this is still way over my head but that got me looking into what does Boron do? And I came across this tidbit:

http://www.boronlube.com/assets/boron-lubrication-introduction-handout-r1.pdf

Like I said this is all still over my head. So I'm continuing to look into it but figured I'd through it out there and share it with the rest of you fine folks and hopefully someone much more knowledgeable than I on lubricants will chime in with more on Boron... or for that matter other elements besides Moly and Zinc that should be evaluated....

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So not being decided yet on an oil I started evaluating multiple oil anaylsis available across multiple sources on da internetz! mwwwahhhaha

My focus was narrowed to synthetics but that's about it. One thing that kept jumping out as I looked at good UOA vs there respective original VOA where two line items Molys and Boron. I know there was several statements made about moly in an attempt to counter friction and wear leading it to be a desirable attribute to combat said friction and wear but that left me scratching my head with if a blend doesn't have moly how are they battling it, obviously by other additives or not at all. If not at all, then the UOA would show significant wears metals easily ruling them out as not a good oil to pursue. That lead me to seeing ones with high Boron when it was weak in Moly. As it turns out it seems like blends are generally one or the other or a balance thereof. That's just my novice observation, it could be I've just stared at too many numbers and anaylsis LOL. So yea, all of this is still way over my head but that got me looking into what does Boron do? And I came across this tidbit:

http://www.boronlube.com/assets/boron-lubrication-introduction-handout-r1.pdf

Like I said this is all still over my head. So I'm continuing to look into it but figured I'd through it out there and share it with the rest of you fine folks and hopefully someone much more knowledgeable than I on lubricants will chime in with more on Boron... or for that matter other elements besides Moly and Zinc that should be evaluated....
You should check out PYB. It has a high Moly count, a good amount of Boron, and as much Zinc as the current API standard allows. Plus it has a relatively high TBN.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Pennzoil.htm

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You should check out PYB. It has a high Moly count, a good amount of Boron, and as much Zinc as the current API standard allows. Plus it has a relatively high TBN.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Pennzoil.htm
Thanks for the tip, if I was going to go conventional pyb would be my hands down easy choice but I want longer intervals that a synthetic affords and my decision is not so clearcut in that area. I'm currently leaning towards a custom blend.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca