Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The worst part of a Redline change is those bottles. Takes forever to dump it in.

Great oil though. My Hemi never ran so smooth...

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
'Good to the last drop',,,,

I let each oil bottle sit upside down in the funnel for ' a minute/2 plus', regardless of what brand/type it is.

I also use a funnel which is large enough to hold 2 bottles at once.

Alternate between other 'oil change/under the hood' related tasks in-between.

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Just ordered 7 quarts of Red Line for my first oil change... now for the Royal Purple filter I'm guessing...

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I didn't see pennzoil platinum on the list? what do you guys think about pennzoil? i haven't heard a lot of good about it but sopesedly its gotten a lot better and has improved? sounds like ram comes with pennzoil conventional from the factory...?

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yes : Rams come with the factory fill of Pennzoil only because of a contract Fiat has with Shell!! No other special reason!

If your buying oil of the store shelf---> I (myself) consider Pennzoil Oils to be within the top of the list. With the list including: RP / M1 / Castrol / Valvoline / Havoline / Motorcraft / Citgo / Kendall / .... Quaker State is a sister oil of Pennzoil --> Its base oil and additive packages are very similar! Their Ultimate Durability oil has brought back very low wear numbers within many UOAs... (Great Oil)!

Look over the VOA of the oils and chose an oil that has a higher PPM of Moly & Boron... The Hemi (MDS) lifters seem to favor the moly additive... I myself like a bit more Zinc also for the Cam!

Now if you compare Pennzoil to what we call Boutique Oils? ---> Amsoil / Redine / Brad Penn / Motul / Fuchs /... The results will be similar as well within the UOAs!! The so called Butt Dyno & Ear Test might be a bit different...

The fact is---->With the proper general maintenance along with a well thought out OCI according to your driving style & habits and proper selected oil filter: Your engine will reach well over 200K miles using any of these oils...
Many owners just sleep better at night using the Boutique Oils! (Nothing Wrong with This)!! {Sleep Is Very Important!!}

Now if you switch the subject and stop talking about Brands and talk about ( Viscosity) ---> That my friend is a whole new can of Worms!!!

Last edited:

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Yes : Rams come with the factory fill of Pennzoil only because of a contract Fiat has with Shell!! No other special reason!

If your buying oil of the store shelf---> I (myself) consider Pennzoil Oils to be within the top of the list. With the list including: RP / M1 / Castrol / Valvoline / Havoline / Motorcraft / Citgo / Kendall / .... Quaker State is a sister oil of Pennzoil --> Its base oil and additive packages are very similar! Their Ultimate Durability oil has brought back very low wear numbers within many UOAs... (Great Oil)!

Look over the VOA of the oils and chose an oil that has a higher PPM of Moly & Boron... The Hemi (MDS) lifters seem to favor the moly additive... I myself like a bit more Zinc also for the Cam!

Now if you compare Pennzoil to what we call Boutique Oils? ---> Amsoil / Redine / Brad Penn / Motul / Fuchs /... The results will be similar as well within the UOAs!! The so called Butt Dyno & Ear Test might be a bit different...

The fact is---->With the proper general maintenance along with a well thought out OCI according to your driving style & habits and proper selected oil filter: Your engine will reach well over 200K miles using any of these oils...
Many owners just sleep better at night using the Boutique Oils! (Nothing Wrong with This)!! {Sleep Is Very Important!!}

Now if you switch the subject and stop talking about Brands and talk about ( Viscosity) ---> That my friend is a whole new can of Worms!!!

thanks for the info.... someone mentioned an ingredient that valvoline does not have and pennzoil does but i can't remember the name lol... what are the most important things to look for in a synthetic oil... I'm not planning on going top of the line. want something thats a reasonable price... $50 or so....

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thanks for the info.... someone mentioned an ingredient that valvoline does not have and pennzoil does but i can't remember the name lol... what are the most important things to look for in a synthetic oil... I'm not planning on going top of the line. want something thats a reasonable price... $50 or so....
That additive is called Molybdenum, or Moly for short. You want an oil that has at least some in it. Pennzoil Yellow Bottle or Redline have the most Moly. Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra have a decent amount. Mobil 1 has a decent amount as well.

Valvoline has none from what VOAs I've seen so I would stay away from it IMO.

If you're looking at the $50 range I would say Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra would be your best bet. Amsoil and Royal Purple will run more than that and Redline is about $90.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Thanks. I'm a little skeptical because in the past I haven't heard too much good about penny oil but a lot of guys on here seem to like it. I guess it's probably improved like everything else. What about filters?

I have heard frame isn't too good?
What about wix? Or k&n?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm "purpleized" and believe that RP is one of - if not the - highest quality lubricants out there. We use it in our vehicles as well as for our business.

10330479_1049553258397430_4544973994834803635_n.jpg

10423673_639145509560685_2389026328023230243_n.jpg

Yes, the oil cost a bit more than others (minus the gun oil) but it makes a difference. The engines run way smoother than with other oils and the engine tick on my '03 Ram got way better.

RedViper94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just for information purposes, I used RedLine 5w30 and a RP filter on my last oil change. I currently have 1000 miles on it and it hasn't thrown any codes. I remember in previous posts that people were wondering if it would effect the valves. It hasn't!!!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just for information purposes, I used RedLine 5w30 and a RP filter on my last oil change. I currently have 1000 miles on it and it hasn't thrown any codes. I remember in previous posts that people were wondering if it would effect the valves. It hasn't!!!
Thanks for the update. MDS works fine as well?

RedViper94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, It might sound weird, but with my truck, I very rarely heard the thrumming noise associated with it, I actually went to the dealer to see if I had it! He advised that yes it did. But again, yes, it seems to be working, no code has been thrown saying that it is malfunctioning.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Viper, next oil change for me will be 5w30 Redline with RP filter no doubt. Notice any difference with redline or sound the same? What RP filter number did you get?

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I might do 5w-30 next time as well. I've put about 500 miles on my Redline 5w20 and it seems to sound the same to me at start up...maybe a little quieter at operating temp, really can't tell. I wasn't really looking for a different sound though, just wanted an oil I can possibly do 10k OCI's with to keep my maintenance schedule easy.

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to use Mobil 1 Extended Performance exclusively, but have been giving Pennzoil Platinum a try. It seems to work well. I run an OEM filter or K&N since I hate removing the oil filter on these trucks.

RedViper94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Viper, next oil change for me will be 5w30 Redline with RP filter no doubt. Notice any difference with redline or sound the same? What RP filter number did you get?

I used the RP 10-48 filter, I didn't notice any undue noise from the motor before, other than the lifter tick, which is still there.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
i noticed by the poll a lot of people use mobil one? i thought i read somewhere that someone had an issue mobile 1 made the truck tick or have more engine valve noise or lifter noise? ...... anyone run into that here using mobil 1?

does K&N make a synthetic filter? are the K&N filter good to use with synthetic oil?