Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I enjoy doing most any kind of maintenance of my vehicles. Doing an oil change is nice and cathartic, BUT Mopar sure made it a PITA, not to mention a mess, on the 1500 Rams on model years 2015 and newer with the hemi. The hydraulic power steering unit makes it virtually impossible to get any kind of container under the filter to try and catch most of the oil. Tried the "filter glove" sold by Geno's (didn't fit, no room), and and a few improvised approaches like wrapping the steering unit with tin foil, or using a gallon zip lock bag, but still a mess was hard to avoid.
Finally just installed a remote oil filter. Fabricated a bracket that wraps around the frame, rubber cushioned as it clamps around it, and positions the remote filter mount perfectly without having to drill holes in the frame. Remote came with adaptors that can use either the M22x1.5, so stock filters can be used, and the 3/4 - 16 so larger capacity filters can be used.
Now changing oil on the Ram is a snap.
Which remote filter kit did you use? Any change in oil pressure?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
On my 2017 the electric rack & pinion is bolted to the crossmember directly under the filter with about 2" of clearance to squeeze an oil filter cap socket in there, thats why a 45 or 90 degree adapter would be nice.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Used a Cool-Tek kit. Believe it was what they call their premium one as it comes with adaptors for both filter thread sizes. Using the high quality Gates 250 PSI hose that came with the kit, I'm seeing a 1 psi drop from running with the filter in the stock location. The hoses are as short as they can possibly be.

Earlier in the summer, I made up a set of hoses using Earls top quality braided SS hose and their fittings, all AN10. With that, there was zero pressure drop, however one of the Earls fittings had a bad cone and I absolutely could not get it to seal, even when using the soft aluminum AN10 cone washers, which are designed to stop leaks. So that set up seeped oil at that fitting where the male & female cone ends come together. Went that route as I had enough of the Earls AN 10 hose left over from another project.

An issue I had with the fittings used tho was the AN to NPT adaptors screwed into the base that attached to the stock filter location took up just about too much space making the 90 degree AN fittings that screwed to those adaptors a real bear to get on (damn electric power steering unit again).

Once I get more time I may re-attempt using the braided SS hose but this time use dedicated fittings that assemble directly to the hose, are 90 degree, and with an NPT male end, at the stock filter location. I would then use same kind of fitting, but straight, which assemble directly to the hose and also have an NPT male end for the remote location. That eliminates the use of NPT to AN adaptors. Unfortunately those fittings are $29 each from Summit.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Used a Cool-Tek kit. Believe it was what they call their premium one as it comes with adaptors for both filter thread sizes. Using the high quality Gates 250 PSI hose that came with the kit, I'm seeing a 1 psi drop from running with the filter in the stock location. The hoses are as short as they can possibly be.

Earlier in the summer, I made up a set of hoses using Earls top quality braided SS hose and their fittings, all AN10. With that, there was zero pressure drop, however one of the Earls fittings had a bad cone and I absolutely could not get it to seal, even when using the soft aluminum AN10 cone washers, which are designed to stop leaks. So that set up seeped oil at that fitting where the male & female cone ends come together. Went that route as I had enough of the Earls AN 10 hose left over from another project.

An issue I had with the fittings used tho was the AN to NPT adaptors screwed into the base that attached to the stock filter location took up just about too much space making the 90 degree AN fittings that screwed to those adaptors a real bear to get on (damn electric power steering unit again).

Once I get more time I may re-attempt using the braided SS hose but this time use dedicated fittings that assemble directly to the hose, are 90 degree, and with an NPT male end, at the stock filter location. I would then use same kind of fitting, but straight, which assemble directly to the hose and also have an NPT male end for the remote location. That eliminates the use of NPT to AN adaptors. Unfortunately those fittings are $29 each from Summit.
Thanks for the info! So can you use the stock oil filters with the kit or do you have to get one with a different thread?

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can use the stock ones if I use the M22 adaptor, but I'm not. Currently have a Mobil 1 M1-301 on there which has the 3/4-16 thread, so I'm using that adaptor. Got a decent deal on three. Once those are used, I'll order several of the RP 30-8A; same size, but the better RP filter.
The larger filter adds about 3/4 to a quart to the total oil fill.
I still have a few Mopar stock filters and could easily change adaptors to the M22 x 1.5 and use one of those, but why use a lesser capacity filter?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can use the stock ones if I use the M22 adaptor, but I'm not. Currently have a Mobil 1 M1-301 on there which has the 3/4-16 thread, so I'm using that adaptor. Got a decent deal on three. Once those are used, I'll order several of the RP 30-8A; same size, but the better RP filter.
The larger filter adds about 3/4 to a quart to the total oil fill.
I still have a few Mopar stock filters and could easily change adaptors to the M22 x 1.5 and use one of those, but why use a lesser capacity filter?
Thanks! Do you happen to have a part number for the kit?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I enjoy doing most any kind of maintenance of my vehicles. Doing an oil change is nice and cathartic, BUT Mopar sure made it a PITA, not to mention a mess, on the 1500 Rams on model years 2015 and newer with the hemi. The hydraulic power steering unit makes it virtually impossible to get any kind of container under the filter to try and catch most of the oil. Tried the "filter glove" sold by Geno's (didn't fit, no room), and and a few improvised approaches like wrapping the steering unit with tin foil, or using a gallon zip lock bag, but still a mess was hard to avoid.
Finally just installed a remote oil filter. Fabricated a bracket that wraps around the frame, rubber cushioned as it clamps around it, and positions the remote filter mount perfectly without having to drill holes in the frame. Remote came with adaptors that can use either the M22x1.5, so stock filters can be used, and the 3/4 - 16 so larger capacity filters can be used.
Now changing oil on the Ram is a snap.
The 15 has an electronic steering actuator and there's plenty of room to get you hands on the filter and to put a container under it to catch the fluids .....??

See my post just a few from above ... I approach the filter from the front while up on ramps , plenty of room and simple Imo ..1f398608de5f5d5d490e843c5eaf88ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tried it from the front with the Geno's filter glove and no joy. Either something changed on the 2017, or I just don't have enough patience to get it in there (which is entirely possible). Regardless, happy with the remote setup I'm now using.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tried it from the front with the Geno's filter glove and no joy. Either something changed on the 2017, or I just don't have enough patience to get it in there (which is entirely possible). Regardless, happy with the remote setup I'm now using.
I'm glad your happy with your set up Sir , I think the remote filter is cool , my Ram is a 14 , maybe something has changed with yours ??

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So i found out when I changed my oil last time the filter glove which works great on the smaller filter, doesn't work so well on the larger filter. Made a pretty good mess. Might try R.L.K.s method of using a flexible quart container

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For Hemi395, the kit I used was a Perma-cool 70988 which relocates the stock oil filter and comes with the M22 x 1.5 nipple for the stock oil filter (it relocates the stock oil filter to a remote location). I also ordered another nipple in 3/4 -16 so I also could use larger filters which I presently am.
The box has "cool-tek" printed on it, but it is a Perma-cool kit.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For Hemi395, the kit I used was a Perma-cool 70988 which relocates the stock oil filter and comes with the M22 x 1.5 nipple for the stock oil filter (it relocates the stock oil filter to a remote location). I also ordered another nipple in 3/4 -16 so I also could use larger filters which I presently am.
If you have the stock M22 x 1.5 nipple and want a larger filter , Royal Purple's. RP 20-820 Is one of if not the best out there ...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

This is exactly what I've been looking for, a relocation kit that takes the stock filters. I have a good stock of RP filters so I really want to use them and this kit will work with them. Thanks!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think with whats going on with oils losing our preferred additives im going to start a small stock of redline ZDDP and possibly also ( not sure yet) MOS2. I dont think redline will be dropping our favorite additives any time soon but it cant hurt to have it.

Just sharing my bedtime thoughts. LOL.

Carry on.

Edit: 6pack for 34$!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LU3Z2MC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3UDS6REYKUGIF&psc=1
What's the recommended mix ratio of the liquiMoly per 7 qts of oil ?
Just wondering how far a 6 pack would go and what ppm increase of Molybdenum would be expected on your UOA ?
Also wondering about the shelf life of the liquiMoly ...meaning if you use say one can per oci , one of the cans could be on the shelf for 5+ years .
I guess maybe you could shake them once in a while ?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What's the recommended mix ratio of the liquiMoly per 7 qts of oil ?
Just wondering how far a 6 pack would go and what ppm increase of Molybdenum would be expected on your UOA ?
Also wondering about the shelf life of the liquiMoly ...meaning if you use say one can per oci , one of the cans could be on the shelf for 5+ years .
I guess maybe you could shake them once in a while ?

I can't give factual answer to you questions. I know that with 7quarts i read a lot of guys dumping in half to a full bottle. I have not looked into mixing ratios. As for shelf life. Im assuming that since MOS2 is technical a suspended poweder that mixing is a necessity. I also think if kept in a cool dry dark place it will last a LONG time.

So I really have no good answers for you. LOL.

EDIT: from Liqui Moly website,

For best results add to motor oil at every oil change. One can treats up to 1.5 gal (6 liter) of oil. Minimum oil filling of 3 liters (3.17 U.S. QT) is requested for optimum product performance.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks !

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
For best results add to motor oil at every oil change. One can treats up to 1.5 gal (6 quarts) of oil. Minimum oil filling of 3 liters (3.17 U.S. QT) is requested for optimum product performance.

So by this information, we would need two cans for 6.34 quarts for ( optimum product performance)?