Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a fantastic choice of oil and filter !!!

Blackstone Labs usually takes 10 days ish on kits ...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I posted this in the towing thread but thought the regs in here who don't frequent that thread may like to have a gander. Great info.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@69GWC ,

[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Welp ordered my wheels&tires today :)

Acouple weeks and it will be my oil change time.
Going to go to the big RP filter and 4 quarts 5w30 and 3 10w30 of Redline.

How long does it take Blackstone labs to send out a test kit ?

You just reminded me. I never got a 2nd response ( in our string of emails) from dave about mixing redline viscosities:disgust:... ill look into this again. Dave must know my number on caller ID now. :doh2:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah doesn't say synthetic anywhere and goes to answer the question who they would use to make their oil = Pennzoil. They also make a synthetic mopar, but I don't think PQIA tested that. They tested 3 oem oils, honda and suburu I think. Interesting thing, the cost of moparmaxpro is pretty expensive, way more expensive the pyb. So bottom line, use pyb if you want to use mopar fluid, and save 20 bucks per 5 qrt. good call Corey

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now the question is if you go to the dealer and say I want an oil change do you get Mopar oil, Pennzoil, or whatever the monthly special on bulk oil is?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
^^^
You get what you ask for (within reason)or you leave.;)

But to be safe id ask for PYB unless they had PUP

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was at the local ram/ Jeep dealer today( not my dealer) and their shelf was full of Carquest and Napa oil. [emoji848]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: U&A

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I spoke with my older brother earlier tonight. Before he opened his own business in '02, he was a master mechanic at a mega-ferd dealer, and previously spent 10+ yrs on their SVT, hand-building motors cradle-to-grave. They were a John Force NHRA sponsor at the time as well. They were also a "Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Jeep" conglomerate megaplex. I ordered my '00 Dakota R/T SBRC from them while I was stationed in Korea. Story for another day.

He said his dealership always stuck with motorcraft filters and oils except for "synthetics". Remember, in the early 2000s, synthetics' cost-benefit worthiness was a huge debate and a hard sell to the commoner. M1 was the oil they stuck to [and reserved for] SVT vehicles. The rest were [good] motorcraft dino or [better] syn blend, in dealer speak. He also mentioned that it was the dealership owner's choice and that Ford didn't hold it against him at all to run whatever oils he felt were prudent to support his business.

On the "Dodge" side, they literally ran what their supplier would sell the cheapest per quarter. When they were running 1/4 or less in their bulk barrels, the parts douche would order whatever the least expensive oil was in each grade at the time and that is what every vehicle would get. Mopar filters were the "premium" and pure white, unbranded filters were the norm. Yes, they sold and serviced Vipers as well. Scary.

This was 16+ years ago. I don't know how close this is to being accurate in dealerships today. The point is, consider what your dealership is really using for that "free" or "really cheap" oil change that "meets specs". Do you have the privilege of knowing for sure what is being dumped in your crank case? Chances are, you don't.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Rampant,

In reguards to “knowing” what they actually pour in unless it is from the oil pump and then you really wont know as you say.... you can ask to watch. My dealer has big glass windows at the service center so you can watch. I watched them crack open 2 new boxs of PUP 0W40 and pour them in on by one.
If it came from a drum i would never have even used the free oil changes

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another reason to do your own changes is how long they let it drain. I usually let my truck drain for several hours. They let it drain until it's dripping and then on goes the drain plug

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I only let it drain for about 10 min after it starts dripping.

No harm no foul IMO.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I do my own for the peace of mind but it can be a pain for people. Even I hate dealing with the left over oil. If you take it in you have to find a good dealer. One you trust, and one where you can tell the techs actually care and enjoy working with cars. Dealers like that ARE out there.

I think it has gotten a lot better in recent years. The access people have to the internet now dictates a lot of things. Reviews/research/etc. I really believe the blow up of SRT in recent years has pulled Mopar into a better quality of service. I could be wrong, but this seems apparent at dealers I have been to. Unlike in the early 2000’s, there are a lot of legitimate upscale offerings from the brand. The main thing to worry about is getting someone who either doesn’t care or is working on 3 hours of sleep and accidentally puts the wrong oil in your vehicle, doesn’t tighten your filter, forgets to put your oil cap back on, etc. I suppose that is the risk you run when dealing with humans lol.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just to put it on the table,

99% of the people on this thread do thier own oil changes. The discussion is for more of a hypothetical situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca