Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For me, I would prefer to use a strategy that doesn't need an additive to be effective. For instance, we know Redline 5w30w doesn't require it. I would like to find another alternative that doesn't.
So far according to the BITOG, that is M1 FS 0w40. An oil change with M1 costs 141 USD for my Ram. An OC with Redline 5w30 costs 160 USD. Its not too bad I guess.
Castrol Magnatec would cost me 95 USD
Castrol Edge would cost me about the same as Redline.
See that’s close… for me M1 0w40 with rp filter and Lubeguard costs me $65, redline $150 with rp filter.

EchoQuill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Any idea when this reformation happened? Did it also happen with 5w40? I ran that last year and it had 2931ppm of calcium.
Mobil reformulated the entire FS lineup, and added 5W-30 to it, which is sold exclusively at Advance Auto Parts. The entire lineup consists of: 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40, and 5W-50.

The entire lineup uses the same API SP type additive package, and carries notable OEM approvals such as Porsche A40, MB 229.3/229.5, and BMW Longlife-01.

The 5W-30, 5W-40, and 5W-50 blends use Group III as the primary base oil.

The 0W-40 uses a 50/50 mix of PAO and GTL as the primary base oil.

The entire lineup uses an extremely high concentration of Alkylated Naphthalene, up to 20% of the blend is made of ANs. This allows the additives to better cover and adhere to metallic surfaces. ANs also clean. Esters are not very strong cleaners, and they interfere with the additive package.

That being said, not all esters are equal.

So how does it compare to Red Line?

Well, I don't have that much fate in the reformulated Red Line 0W-20, 0W-30, and whatever else they reformulated that starts with a 0W.

However, old school formulations like 5W-20 and 5W-30 from Red Line are still made with high concentrations of POE and crazy amounts of ZDDP, and a decent amount of Moly, along with a middle of the road detergent package. All of this ads up to a very very thick tribo-film that will protect no matter what.

To sum it up: if you have a HEMI that you suspect might be trouble, is noisy, or you think FCA set you up for failure by installing a subpar cam or lifters, then Red Line is your best bet for survival.

If you have a healthy HEMI, then Mobil 1 is a great choice, or QS Euro 5W-40, or PUP 0W-40, are all great oil.

At the end of the day, I strongly believe that everyone should use whatever they can afford and can get them through the ownership period with as little trouble as possible. After all, we all have better things to do than spending time and money on engine repairs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok so trucks own the top 3 spots just like every year, but one guess at what is the 4th most sold vehicle in these united states?

Hint Burla might be the genius for buying his wife one in 2009... I'm telling you guys that need a second vehicle, as an economical super functional SUV that gets great mileage, man you can't go wrong. Also, it sits like a mid sized, I am 6'4 well over 250 and I can't sit most cars at all, and this thing sits me just fine, truly better then a wrangler. Most stuff is easy to work on if you get the 4 banger. And what a great car to get a young person, so many used ones you can get on the cheap. The secret is long out I guess, these things sell 3 times as many as civics.

The RAV4 has cemented its place as the bestselling non-pickup in recent years, and that continued for 2022. Sales were down 2 percent but it still had a wide margin over the next highest-selling model on this list.

led-1636723552.jpg?crop=0.818xw:0.750xh;0.0697xw,0.jpg

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so trucks own the top 3 spots just like every year, but one guess at what is the 4th most sold vehicle in these united states?

Hint Burla might be the genius for buying his wife one in 2009... I'm telling you guys that need a second vehicle, as an economical super functional SUV that gets great mileage, man you can't go wrong. Also, it sits like a mid sized, I am 6'4 well over 250 and I can't sit most cars at all, and this thing sits me just fine, truly better then a wrangler. Most stuff is easy to work on if you get the 4 banger. And what a great car to get a young person, so many used ones you can get on the cheap. The secret is long out I guess, these things sell 3 times as many as civics.

The RAV4 has cemented its place as the bestselling non-pickup in recent years, and that continued for 2022. Sales were down 2 percent but it still had a wide margin over the next highest-selling model on this list.

View attachment 523648
Best selling!
So the McDonald's hambergers are the best????

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 523648
Awesome! Thinking about trading the wife’s Camry for one of those real soon. She loves the fuel mileage but hates being so low to the ground.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome! Thinking about trading the wife’s Camry for one of those real soon. She loves the fuel mileage but hates being so low to the ground.
Maybe a 6 inch lift???? ;)

Years ago, I was in Flagstaff, Arizona and saw a guy with a 79 Trans Am on a 4Wd truck chassis.... with a lift.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'd seen Mazda was rated #1? Maybe that was J.D. Power. Whatever.

Why in the world would a mega-corporation the likes of Exxon-Mobil supply only Advance Auto Parts with new formula Mobil 1 FS? Baffling to me.

Peeps around here consider AAP the poor sister to AutoZone, which is poor sister to NAPA. Few use O'Reilly's anymore here.

EchoQuill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Why in the world would a mega-corporation the likes of Exxon-Mobil supply only Advance Auto Parts with new formula Mobil 1 FS? Baffling to me.

Actually, they sell the new formulation everywhere, except for 5W-30. So, you go to Walmart to get 0W-40 and 5W-40, and you'd have to go to AAP to get FS 5W-30 at their overinflated price.

I agree, it's beyond stupid.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Gotta get the two tone man, a throw back to old landcruisers. They have a lot of choices, (black with white or visa versa) I like the white roofs and hood, to get this look vinyled on is 640 here locally, 320 roof and 320 hood.

rav4-new-hero.gif
OIP.jpg

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Here is my take and I am sure many will disagree. I see that many have their favorite oil brand and loyalty is all important to them. I have watched many tests on different brands. IMO it's not the brand that's so important but how often you change to oil. If you believe for one second changing your oil at 10,000 mile that is insane. I think somewhere between 4,000 to 7,000 miles is a good place to change your oil. I have dome this most all my life, but with the 5.7 and cylinder deactivation and the lifter issues this is best. I have now 132,000 miles and high idle hours and I've had not one issue.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Here is my take and I am sure many will disagree. I see that many have their favorite oil brand and loyalty is all important to them. I have watched many tests on different brands. IMO it's not the brand that's so important but how often you change to oil. If you believe for one second changing your oil at 10,000 mile that is insane. I think somewhere between 4,000 to 7,000 miles is a good place to change your oil. I have dome this most all my life, but with the 5.7 and cylinder deactivation and the lifter issues this is best. I have now 132,000 miles and high idle hours and I've had not one issue.

Um, the 4,000 previous pages prove your guess wrong. Best study up.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Before I start hunting and pecking in Blackstone UOA / VOA, did anybody get a recent analysis of additives in the new formula Mobil 1 FS series engine oils?

I think Travis said it's chocked full of ZDDP (zinc and phos), did it have any moly?

Since Red Line has BOTH lots of ZDDP and MoDTC, are we sure it is only the Moly antiwear additive that works to prevent and kill Hemi valve lifter tick?

i.e. - guys at LubeGard to low moly / low zinc oils and have reported tick kill / prevention. My question is - would adding only zinc also kill / prevent tick?

IF yes, then I would think the new formula Mobil 1 FS series is a new candidate for Hemi engines? Or did the Amsoil users experience say otherwise? i.e. - does the base oil play a big part (need substantial polyol ester in base oil to kill / prevent ticks also)?

P.S. - damn Blackstone sent me my Red Line 0W-30 UOA analysis, but hasn't released the cleaned report to their website yet! I suppose they can't get help just like every other workplace.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Before I start hunting and pecking in Blackstone UOA / VOA, did anybody get a recent analysis of additives in the new formula Mobil 1 FS series engine oils?

I think Travis said it's chocked full of ZDDP (zinc and phos), did it have any moly?

Since Red Line has BOTH lots of ZDDP and MoDTC, are we sure it is only the Moly antiwear additive that works to prevent and kill Hemi valve lifter tick?

i.e. - guys at LubeGard to low moly / low zinc oils and have reported tick kill / prevention. My question is - would adding only zinc also kill / prevent tick?

IF yes, then I would think the new formula Mobil 1 FS series is a new candidate for Hemi engines? Or did the Amsoil users experience say otherwise? i.e. - does the base oil play a big part (need substantial polyol ester in base oil to kill / prevent ticks also)?

P.S. - damn Blackstone sent me my Red Line 0W-30 UOA analysis, but hasn't released the cleaned report to their website yet! I suppose they can't get help just like every other workplace.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

we can wait, dont worry about it, and thanks for getting that! whats the moly?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Thanks, Travis.

Ok, Moly only 71, Zinc 1026, and I'd wager no base oil polyol ester (except as additive carrier only).

Too bad it's not 10 years ago when this came out. Then we could try this on a ticker to see what it did. Would save a lot of money vs. Red Line if it turned out the critical factor was lots of antiwear additive of either type.

Oh, well. I got enough Red Line for a while. Some of you guys hoarded stacks full.
Btw, while I wait for Blackstone to get my UOA formatted, I will give sneak preview....

RL 0W-30 original formula API SN did not shear down viscosity in ~ 3,000 miles of winter stop and go driving and had plenty of TBN left, FWIW.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whats the 4 digit revision number on the jug of your 0w40 if you still got it? Or does the label say SP
6748 on the new oil.
I’ll keep you posted how it sounds vs my current 5w30 redline and the UOA in a few months.
Both of my redline uoas going out this week.

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks, Travis.

Ok, Moly only 71, Zinc 1026, and I'd wager no base oil polyol ester (except as additive carrier only).

Too bad it's not 10 years ago when this came out. Then we could try this on a ticker to see what it did. Would save a lot of money vs. Red Line if it turned out the critical factor was lots of antiwear additive of either type.

Oh, well. I got enough Red Line for a while. Some of you guys hoarded stacks full.
Btw, while I wait for Blackstone to get my UOA formatted, I will give sneak preview....

RL 0W-30 original formula API SN did not shear down viscosity in ~ 3,000 miles of winter stop and go driving and had plenty of TBN left, FWIW.
Ester is minimal but it was replaced with alkylated napthalenes which has incredible cleaning power like esters. Their using up to 20% here is my guess.