The Best Arguement for Great Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Studs only make a small positive difference on ice or had packed snow, and have a negative impact in all other conditions - dry snow, wet snow, slush, wet, dry.
^^^That^^^

The only people I know of that use the studded tires are the ones who live in the frozen north where there is ice/snow on the roads continuously for 4+ months out of the year. Otherwise most people would be putting them on and taking them off every other week.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Saw more than a few of those in the ditches today. Lots of cars, especially EVs for some reason and given they are relatively rare in these parts the number in the ditch kind of stood out. That said, there were also lots of 4x4 SUV types too, but they also comprise about 50 percent of the local fleet. I would be interested to know what it is about EVs that makes them so prone to falling off the road on ice.
I like to avoid ditches, LOL. But in Feb 2021, when TX got hit with freak storm, 8" ice and snow, I put the ole RAM in 4 high, and drove on the shoulder of the road all the way to town. The skating ring road was impassable, especially after they brought out road graders and scraped down to ice.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
^^^That^^^

The only people I know of that use the studded tires are the ones who live in the frozen north where there is ice/snow on the roads continuously for 4+ months out of the year. Otherwise most people would be putting them on and taking them off every other week.
Good news, that’s where we live. Spending some cash on the proper tires for the worst conditions you drive is much better than a tow and body shop bill because you lost it into the ditch or curb.
IMG_3900.jpeg

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just got the 4 snow tires installed on the wife's Toyota Sienna today. We may get a storm or two in our neck of the woods but drive to Upstate NY (real upstate, not Orange county) where drops are measured in feet. Just always feel more comfortable in front wheel drive because if I get in a slide I can steer and power out of it. 4wd I always feel like the rear keeps pushing me where I don't want to go. So another vote for buy the right tire, and go cheap somewhere else.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
You get great gas mileage when it's like that, I had a Doc appoint 2-3 yrs in Saskatoon, 3 hr drive, run into freezing rain at -10, I put the off side wheels in the grass and made it fine at about 60km, a fire bird when flying by and put her in the ditch rear first and the snow wiped the front facia off. City boy.

Right now we have no snow at all, not good is you are farming. I am running studs in the winter. Main reason is for in town where I am now, for stopping. The city dones not salt, they do spread a bit of sand on the main streets, after the fact.

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have Cooper Evolution Winter tires on my 2010 Ram 1500 2WD crew cab. I leave them on all year round. Just as quiet as all season tires. They are also studdable. Reasonable price also.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I told the missus and the kid 4wd don’t mean 4wheel stop. This year we have comparatively little snow compared to normal for this time of year but it’s cold enough to freeze.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You north of the 48th parallel gang could use the track drives they put on the ice fishing vehicles on Lake of the Woods.

The snowmobile clubs have Deere Tractors pulling trail groomers with track drives too. Pricey.

1703126313720.png

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Those aren’t all that they are cracked up to be. Watch the videos the story til now on YouTube. He was running them on his 700hp gladiator and they were good on the flats not so good on really uneven surfaces.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
TestPilot,
My experience was totally different. I was on bad roads a lot in Colorado and Wyoming. They made a huge difference. working in the mountains, snow and ice are around from Nov until May or later.

OP
OP
Dean2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Studs only make a small positive difference on ice or had packed snow, and have a negative impact in all other conditions - dry snow, wet snow, slush, wet, dry.
I agree. If I was driving on packed snow or ice pretty much all winter I would be running studded tires. It really isn't that expensive to get them studded. I ran them when I lived up north and most of the roads were not paved, so compacted snow/ice on gravel. They were great there. Now, most of the roads around me are paved and only occasionally ice covered. For that, ice radials from Michelin or Nokian make a lot better all around outcome.

Merry Christmas all.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like everything else, you have to follow the latest news, even top tire companies can stumble. Tires, anything but cooper for 2024.
What's wrong with Cooper?

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First hand I do not know, but there is a lot wrong apparently with recent cooper tires, start here and do some research.
The majority of people in that thread had zero issues with Cooper tires. I've been running Cooper Snow claws on my truck and they're fantastic, so far. I guess we'll see how they are after a few winters.
I'm so happy with them, I was going to get the AT3 4s for my summer tires.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes, but there are a lot of threads out there man with similar concerns. As always this wont effect every customer, but I don't know of any other brand having these issues. Same thing with hemi tick, most hemi's dont tick but it's a thing. If I was gonna buy coopers, I'd buy from reputable dealer that has a good warranty. les shuab maybe.

from my tire poll, coopers are the most popular tire ram forum.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I just got the 4 snow tires installed on the wife's Toyota Sienna today. We may get a storm or two in our neck of the woods but drive to Upstate NY (real upstate, not Orange county) where drops are measured in feet. Just always feel more comfortable in front wheel drive because if I get in a slide I can steer and power out of it. 4wd I always feel like the rear keeps pushing me where I don't want to go. So another vote for buy the right tire, and go cheap somewhere else.
Dont worry about snow up here right now, there is none....but yes, normally there would be a lot of snow right now.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The difference between last year and this

Attachments

• IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0624.jpeg
    IMG_0624.jpeg