The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Still waiting

Well it's been in the shop since last Tuesday (8th day). On Thursday they said they needed to drop the oil pan to inspect. Today they have yet to do that. Meanwhile I'm driving a Jeep Patriot and paying for a 2015 ram 3500. I can't seem to post a clip of the noise but it is definitely a lower end tap and only present on cold start. Haven't so far been impressed with the dealer or mfr.

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Here is a clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iu8wKXom5Y

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup...that's what I heard as well on mine.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ya that's definitely not normal for a 6.4, another victim of the wrist pin issue. I'm not sure why they are doing any tear down, unless it falls outside the TSB range. If it does fall within the TSB then there is no engine tear down to be done, simply verify the noise, write down some scan tool info then order a complete engine.

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It's outside the date range. Door sticker says mfr 11/14 which means to me the factory is full of **** on this date range Crap and in damage control mode

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's outside the date range. Door sticker says mfr 11/14 which means to me the factory is full of **** on this date range Crap and in damage control mode

Nope...it just means they did their best to identify the date range they received bad wrist pins at the engine assembly plant, when those engines were put in the trucks and what trucks received the defective engines. The engines are delivered to the assembly plant as complete engines.

In an earlier post I surmised that some of the bad engines could have been placed in trucks prior to the two ranges they posted in the service bulletin.

There is no way they could have pinpointed exactly what trucks got the bad engines. There's just too much parts inventory from numerous suppliers coming into the sourcing stream to track that accurately.

As far as what they are doing with your engine, if it is bad wrist pins, then the diagnostic procedure they are using isn't correct for that known issue.

They must think it is something else. But, from the sound I heard, I feel confident in stating you have the issue. I've heard that noise before.

Did you bring the service bulletin to the dealer's attention?

Last edited:

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Polecat
Yours has that crappy sqeaking/chirping noise at start up too..... sounds like mine minus the knocking..

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ya that's definitely not normal for a 6.4, another victim of the wrist pin issue. I'm not sure why they are doing any tear down, unless it falls outside the TSB range. If it does fall within the TSB then there is no engine tear down to be done, simply verify the noise, write down some scan tool info then order a complete engine.

How's that engine swap coming along? You start into it yet?

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow!. that is a loud sound. But, it goes away. Im wondering what it would sound like with the hood open. If it wouldnt be too much trouble and u would do one with the hood open........Im the only one that did a video with the hood open and got right down near the core of the engine(without taking my arm off). Mine is very quiet with the hood closed. But, like I said i only hear the belt whirring. That would give a good comparison of the two? :) Just a thought. Maybe i should do one with the hood closed too. But, like i said before, u wont hear a peep.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How's that engine swap coming along? You start into it yet?

Not yet, I'm pretty busy so I probably won't start on it till Friday at the earliest. Won't be to bad though, the replacement engine is complete from top to bottom, nothing from the old engine gets transferred over.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Interesting. I would have figured they'd just send the rolling assembly, but it's likely way more efficient to have you guys swap the whole damn works. Makes more sense.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iu8wKXom5Y

mine sounds just like yours except for that loud knocking noise. that knocking noise sounds really bad. If that's the "clatter", I don't have it, im in the clear. Good luck polecat.....

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, they tore it down and found no metal in the pan no play in anything no damage to the lower end and no damage to the cylinder walls. They're going to cold start it tomorrow and it will be "ready to go". REALLY? With no repairs I'd be surprised if that loud noise just goes away. Start over with a new dealer next week is my guess. Chrysler just looks at the date and says "nope that's not wrist pins" even though those of you that have heard it say it sounds like wrist pins. Love the truck just want it running right. Can't even possibly sell it while it's rattling like a worn out diesel. LEMON

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
mine sounds just like yours except for that loud knocking noise. that knocking noise sounds really bad. If that's the "clatter", I don't have it, im in the clear. Good luck polecat.....

Zeddy does that incessant annoying tick like noise persist with yours when you're accelerating or under load?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Well, they tore it down and found no metal in the pan no play in anything no damage to the lower end and no damage to the cylinder walls. They're going to cold start it tomorrow and it will be "ready to go". REALLY? With no repairs I'd be surprised if that loud noise just goes away. Start over with a new dealer next week is my guess. Chrysler just looks at the date and says "nope that's not wrist pins" even though those of you that have heard it say it sounds like wrist pins. Love the truck just want it running right. Can't even possibly sell it while it's rattling like a worn out diesel. LEMON

Have they looked at the exhaust manifolds? Sometimes a loose or broken mount bolt stud can cause a clatter until it heats up and expands enough to seal again.

Also, I would suggest when you get it back and if you get a couple of thousand more miles on it, get a oil sample kit from Blackstone Labs then retrieve a sample and send off for analysis. That will give you a better understanding where your metal wear is and another data point to go off of.

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Good comment. I'm just very frustrated right now but I will run it a wile and see what it does. I have heard about the exhaust manifold issue and it's worth a check. Thx for all the insights from everyone

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Zeddy does that incessant annoying tick like noise persist with yours when you're accelerating or under load?

I haven't noticed. I saw your post last night and tried to hear it on my way in to work this morning. didn't notice anything.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I haven't noticed. I saw your post last night and tried to hear it on my way in to work this morning. didn't notice anything.

OK, thanks for checking. I don't hear it with the windows rolled up, but roll them down when your driving in traffic and it's enough to drive me bonkers. Had it to the dealership- guess it's normal. Might get a second opinion just in case. To me it REALLY sounds like an exhaust leak but they said they can't find a leak at the manifolds.