The Dubstep Shep R/T Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, couldn't get the truck exactly aligned. Looks like I'm going to need a little something extra to get the camber right up front.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here are some pics of how it sits. The camber is hard to see, but it still needs some adjustment. The front passenger side is also still sitting a little high, so I need to pull the spring and make sure it's clocked correctly.

b320966ad88162f579fe279acb385d21.jpg

c02f58f737795768430efb58e017b56c.jpg

b492955ac9ab57c1bc8aa60083a7bd9c.jpg

bdd312155e614f9655ed2cac574bdb34.jpg

Honestly, I don't like the drop up front. The rear can't be helped and I'll do the axle mount relocation there. But up front I think I may do a longer, stiffer spring and a drop spindle. With the spindle I can do whatever brakes I want to, so I may just go that route. We shall see.

Also, why couldn't you just put the upper and lower arms under the spindle instead of above it? Seems like that would be the best route. Custom, but still.
1f10a111f31c0eecbd06016013cae087.jpg

a6e6cc3613095f13f994aacca9c27a1c.jpg

4d5d0557a4691f9f8de44e61578a5d45.jpg

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Guys... I think I have a problem.

I may or may not have come up with a concept for adjustable front control arms with coilovers...

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Basically it was similar to how they do SLA suspensions on mustangs.

I never fleshed it out though because I bought my vette.

Well out it on paper so we can see it.. or send it to me so I can draft it up and engineer it and send it of to a buddy to mill or fab.

It really wouldn't be too hard to fab up a lower control arm that receives a coil-over from TCP or something like that and a tubular upper arm that the coil-over passes through and is lengthened from stock measurements to adjust for the camber issue when doing a 2-3" drop up front

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well out it on paper so we can see it.. or send it to me so I can draft it up and engineer it and send it of to a buddy to mill or fab.

It really wouldn't be too hard to fab up a lower control arm that receives a coil-over from TCP or something like that and a tubular upper arm that the coil-over passes through and is lengthened from stock measurements to adjust for the camber issue when doing a 2-3" drop up front

"put in on paper" = probably a full weeks worth of work, plus I would need a truck with all the OEM parts to get dimensions off of.

Honestly it's no different than any other fully adjustable SLA system. You'd probably have better luck contacting a company like Cortex or another one that does SLA suspensions for a living and getting them to make something for you.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"put in on paper" = probably a full weeks worth of work, plus I would need a truck with all the OEM parts to get dimensions off of.

Honestly it's no different than any other fully adjustable SLA system. You'd probably have better luck contacting a company like Cortex or another one that does SLA suspensions for a living and getting them to make something for you.

I'll make it myself, no need for a company to do it for me... my only issue is its to big for my mill unless I just tube the whole thing... this is something Ive been thinking about for awhile and surprised no one makes anything for these trucks...

but alot can be borrowed in design and engineering from other similar setups
just gotta find the time to engineer it.

These are a little more complex than designing crawler set ups like im used to but I'm all for the challenge...

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There's a lot that goes into it, especially to match a spec. It's almost easier starting from scratch.

The longest and most difficult part would be getting the dimensions. Building 3d models from that is easy.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a lot that goes into it, especially to match a spec. It's almost easier starting from scratch.

The longest and most difficult part would be getting the dimensions. Building 3d models from that is easy.

Yup, having the little joy of Solidworks and 3d modeling helps.. I haven't searched for frame and part dimensions and specs yet but did this for my Zr2 when I started to design how to do my SAS project on that. I tend to over think things and over design things...

Alot of my buddies tell me I need to start my own shop and actually get paid for all what I tinker with...

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Quick update:

Got my upper ball joints replaced with some to increase my camber and finally get rid of the negative degree or two I had. Worked like a charm, but pushed the wheels out a bit. Enough that I decided to just run wheel spacers on the rear for now.

Finally got around to installing my trailer brake controller. That was a ***** and a half to get to those stupid screws on the backside of the bracket. Terrible design... But it's in. I also ordered a RA4 radio that's going in soon, then I need to get my truck re-flashed.

I went ahead and got the windows tinted as well. Went with 70% on the windshield and it's perfect.

I also put in my catless y-pipe and dumped my exhaust before the axle. It's pretty mellow just driving around but DAMN it gets loud at WOT. Sounds great, and I'm sure it'll be the perfect level once I dynamat everything.

First thing I need to do next is install my RA4, then get the truck re-flashed and aligned.

Next is a rear bumper without the exhaust cutouts. Already got one lined up there. Then it's tearing up the interior to get the dynamat in and install my sub.

Then I'll probably be done with the truck for a good, long while.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No such thing as "done" lol! Post up some pics when you get the non-cutout bumper on... :favorites13:

And an exhaust sound clip would be cool too.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No such thing as "done" lol! Post up some pics when you get the non-cutout bumper on... :favorites13:

And an exhaust sound clip would be cool too.

Well when you have an actual race car, the money tends to float towards it haha.

I'll see about hooking up my GoPro sometime this weekend or next week.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Progress, our most important product". LOL
Jay

coolbrzblu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How would getting a custom spindle compare to redoing the arms on the front suspension? I have an inquiry with MMW on a custom spindle to get our geometry back to stock with a 2-3" drop, fix the bump steer and allow the srt-10 brakes to mount up.. Any chance there would be enough interest to justify doing a group buy?

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How would getting a custom spindle compare to redoing the arms on the front suspension? I have an inquiry with MMW on a custom spindle to get our geometry back to stock with a 2-3" drop, fix the bump steer and allow the srt-10 brakes to mount up.. Any chance there would be enough interest to justify doing a group buy?

Basically it's a much better option... the big issue is the spring rate. If you drop, you need a higher spring rate, and the spindle doesn't do that. The arm geometry would be correct though so that's a big improvement.

Let me know what they quote you at. I'd be interested to see how much. I had looked at it with the SRT-8 Jeep brakes.