The future looks pretty sad.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Most of the rental houses here in the Yukon do. Electric, propane and diesel are the main sources. We don't have any pipelines of any sort so natural gas is not an option.
My house is wood heated with diesel as a backup.
It was -36f here two days ago without wind something like -50f with wind.
I've considered selling everything and moving somewhere warm especially when it's -50f with no wind. Things start to act real strange in the cold.

I've been in -53, but I was younger and stupider. Never again if I can help it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, failure of epic proportions on the people that bought them and did 0 research on Lithium batteries. Lithium batteries don't like the cold. Never have, never will.

At my previous job I would have to take all my lithium batteries for my power tools and bring them to the cab of the truck to warm up before I could use them. They wouldn't power the tools at all and wouldn't charge until they were warmed up.

Absolutely shocking it's the same thing with EVs.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same in Chicago, lots of stranded Tesla's at the super charger station. Apparently to use the super charger, your battery has to be at a certain temperature before it can take the high charge and with record cold, the batteries do not meet that condition, and so can't take a charge, leaving the drivers without a means to charge. I do not know if slower chargers need the batteries to be warmed at the same temperature of the super chargers, but either way, its funny to hear of drivers trying for hours to charge their cars even tho it won't take a charge, hoping against hope that something would happen.

Last edited:

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WOW..lots of good information gathered on this Forum. A very helpful slice of facts and common sense. No EV up here where we just ent through a week of -40 to -52. Heck province to the west had electric grid concerns. Imagine if they had to support thousand of EV's ...the whole system would crash...which would be like a snowball rolling downhill for businesses..emergency services..etc etc...I wonder if the "wonder boys" have thought about these possibilities?

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
WOW..lots of good information gathered on this Forum. A very helpful slice of facts and common sense. No EV up here where we just ent through a week of -40 to -52. Heck province to the west had electric grid concerns. Imagine if they had to support thousand of EV's ...the whole system would crash...which would be like a snowball rolling downhill for businesses..emergency services..etc etc...I wonder if the "wonder boys" have thought about these possibilities?
I keep saying when ambulances, firetrucks and city vehicles like plows become electric then I'll trust it. Ever wonder why aircraft companies are not using electric planes?

Honestly as it sits ambulances and firetrucks aren't electric and it's because it's not even remotely reliable. ;)

Us Canadians sure like the cold eh. Haha

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd already have one, lol. Another ihst truth, tesla has a cheap tesla, but they dont sell it to america. 25k american dollars and if thios hits the lots here, I doubt I could stop my wife from buying one. But just like meds, usa citizens spend more on the teslas they buy and can't get all options. Apparently tesla doesnt want cheap teslas in the hands of spoiled americans! Man this one really chaps my hyde. That is a perfect car for the wife, little two door electric job for her little 20 mile commute, but we cant buy it.

View attachment 535278rscrption
It's coming to the US in 2024/25 - that's what the insiders are saying. $25k for one.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I keep saying when ambulances, firetrucks and city vehicles like plows become electric then I'll trust it. Ever wonder why aircraft companies are not using electric planes?

Honestly as it sits ambulances and firetrucks aren't electric and it's because it's not even remotely reliable. ;)

Us Canadians sure like the cold eh. Haha

There actually are EV ambulances. They haven't caught on much in the US because they are too expensive and EMS budgets tend to suck hind tit behind police and fire. I think NYC is the biggest area with any EV ambulances. If the price was better, those are actually great options for EV for most agencies. Spends most of it's time in a heated garage waiting, and even the diesel ones tend to stay plugged in anyway.

Fire trucks, no, the need to idle and run equipment off it prohibits it. Plus the lead time for a fire truck is approaching 3-5 *years* right now. Fleet management is starting to require a crystal ball.

A neighboring small police department tried Teslas. They worked for them, but they are a low crime area with a small area of responsibility. I don't think Tesla makes a pursuit rated model, though some aftermarket outfitters are trying to shoehorn them into the market. Big departments won't buy them, even if they were the greatest thing ever (and they aren't) because they are too much money to buy and to fix when they get damaged. We changed colors over $225 per unit...

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
There actually are EV ambulances. They haven't caught on much in the US because they are too expensive and EMS budgets tend to suck hind tit behind police and fire. I think NYC is the biggest area with any EV ambulances. If the price was better, those are actually great options for EV for most agencies. Spends most of it's time in a heated garage waiting, and even the diesel ones tend to stay plugged in anyway.

Fire trucks, no, the need to idle and run equipment off it prohibits it. Plus the lead time for a fire truck is approaching 3-5 *years* right now. Fleet management is starting to require a crystal ball.

A neighboring small police department tried Teslas. They worked for them, but they are a low crime area with a small area of responsibility. I don't think Tesla makes a pursuit rated model, though some aftermarket outfitters are trying to shoehorn them into the market. Big departments won't buy them, even if they were the greatest thing ever (and they aren't) because they are too much money to buy and to fix when they get damaged. We changed colors over $225 per unit...
I was meaning more so Canada and northern Canada but u could see a place like NY trying it for sure. Didn't they try electric snow plows and that failed miserably?
Kinda wonder how long a tesla battery would power a 15kw home inverter. If my solar could keep it charged I may have a new use for some of those left at the charge stations. :anitoof: kidding I couldn't do that. Likely have to take the battery apart and re wire the cells anyways, 400-800vdc is too much for any home inverter. 48v would be the best.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I was meaning more so Canada and northern Canada but u could see a place like NY trying it for sure. Didn't they try electric snow plows and that failed miserably?

I thought you guys just ran everything on whale oil???

No idea on the plows. My frame of reference is pretty much entirely based on first responder fleets.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I thought you guys just ran everything on whale oil???

No idea on the plows. My frame of reference is pretty much entirely based on first responder fleets.
Haha we pretty much do. Not sure if you know where I'm at but to put it in perspective I am 80 miles from The Alaska border, Skagway is the nearest US town.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Haha we pretty much do. Not sure if you know where I'm at but to put it in perspective I am 80 miles from The Alaska border, Skagway is the nearest US town.

If I had to fill in a map of Canada, I could accurately label Niagara Falls and Toronto. The rest of it would just be doodles of moose and mounties.

Your border guards are very polite when they search your stuff, btw. When asked "do you have $10k or more in cash on you?" bursting out laughing and "do I *look* like I have $10k in cash?" is not the correct response.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
If I had to fill in a map of Canada, I could accurately label Niagara Falls and Toronto. The rest of it would just be doodles of moose and mounties.

Your border guards are very polite when they search your stuff, btw. When asked "do you have $10k or more in cash on you?" bursting out laughing and "do I *look* like I have $10k in cash?" is not the correct response.
:happy175: when I go to the states I love Ur border guards. Coming back to Canada they're diccks! The one guy we call officer doofy because he's special to say the least. "doodles of moose and mounties" :anitoof: don't forget the natives! Lol

I wonder I'd they'd be specific 10k USD or cad 10k USD might as well be 15k cad.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I suppose you've never had your car torn apart at the border. I recall as a kid the Canadian border guards searched the station wagon my mother had which wasn't bad, but ill never forget the car next to us sitting in a bay all torn apart. Left an impression on me for sure about what 'authority' meant.

OP
OP
Brandon-w

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I suppose you've never had your car torn apart at the border. I recall as a kid the Canadian border guards searched the station wagon my mother had which wasn't bad, but ill never forget the car next to us sitting in a bay all torn apart. Left an impression on me for sure about what 'authority' meant.
Who woulda thought after all the convictions and criminal records from marijuana they'd legalize it years later. Now bc is like a drug safe haven its Insane. Ban guns legalize crystal m€th. :buttkick:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Nope. Just had the small furry one walk around it and put his nose in a bunch of places. Didn't even steal my chicken wings, which was the hottest thing in my truck at the time.

Of course, I don't have hidden compartments in my car, don't run drugs, and remember to leave my guns at home.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

When I think of the Canadian border guards, I've the impression of "Dudley Dorights", "Bull Winkles" and "Rocky, the Squirrels" ... never been to Canada, so I could be wrong to take old cartoons seriously on how they might actually be?

Status
Not open for further replies.