tick 5.7 hemi, 2013 ram 1500, 146012 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a engine tick, drivers side for the last 6 months. No codes being thrown. Both exhaust manifolds had broken bolts and bad gaskets, dealership covered them under lifetime warranty. Took to dealership last Monday and heard yesterday from them engine needs complete upper rebuild. Getting new cam, bearings, spring and seal kit for valves, 16 lifters, gasket kits and hopefully new oil pump. This has been a ongoing issue for at least the last 6 months and the dealership has been great in troubleshooting to try to fix this issue.

Its amazing that with only 146000 plus miles that its in that bad of shape. The only CHRISTMAS present is I have a 100$ deductible to pay.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well as of yesterday, I still have no truck. Its back together and runs but as dealership stated it has drivability issues and engine is not running rite. Gave me new loaner car and said a few more days. NIGHTMARE FROM HELL

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well as of yesterday, I still have no truck. Its back together and runs but as dealership stated it has drivability issues and engine is not running rite. Gave me new loaner car and said a few more days. NIGHTMARE FROM HELL
These things happen, at least ya got a warranty. My old mans chevy detonated at 120k without a warranty, valves met pistons and it wasnt a pretty sight. On the bright side it should last at least 150k more miles, they should be putting the upgraded part # ones in there

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well been 3 weeks now, no truck. Yesterday the girl in charge of my account said, they are still looking at it. Now 2 master techs working on it. Starting not to feel good. Like I told her for 5200$ plus core and shipping they could have dropped in a Jasper 5.7 and have been done with it. The insurance company accepted all repairs and yes I have 100$ deductible, but what condition is it going to be in when I get it back. I owe 12000$ on it. KBB value 8000$ possibly, trade-in maybe 7-8000$. I don't want a new 72 month term and payment.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wouldn't want my engine replaced with a Jasper, or any rebuilder special. If anything, a new MOPAR service replacement. Not sure I understand going though all that trouble and not doing a valve job as well. Oil pump is pretty cheap but you have to pull the pan so guessing they will try not to do it. Good luck.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As of yesterday, They have had the truck as of November 30, Dealership called and said truck running, runs rough, timing set and good and oil pressure good, 2 master techs and they are confounded, were under front cover all of this week now going back under valve covers on Monday. Any thoughts or ideas. Replaced cam, 16 lifters, checked valve seats and springs and checked valves said they were ok, rods ok, ????????????

Called FCA and opened case with them yesterday to get a field rep involved from Chrysler, don't know what else to do. What would cause it to have a drivability issue and runs rough after the work they have done to it.

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As of yesterday, They have had the truck as of November 30, Dealership called and said truck running, runs rough, timing set and good and oil pressure good, 2 master techs and they are confounded, were under front cover all of this week now going back under valve covers on Monday. Any thoughts or ideas. Replaced cam, 16 lifters, valve seats and springs and checked valves said they were ok, rods ok, ????????????

Called FCA and opened case with them yesterday to get a field rep involved from Chrysler, don't know what else to do. What would cause it to have a drivability issue and runs rough after the work they have done to it.

They replaced the valve seats??? That doesn't sound like something a dealer would/could do as it typically requires machining. Personally I'd want to get the heads check out by machine shop or at least perform a compression and leakdown test on the motor. But at this point I think it would be very reasonable just to request a new long block and be done with it.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should have said they checked the valve seats, valves and springs. All they did was replace all the lifters and cam, along with all the gaskets needed to do the fix. Now it runs rough. that's why I got FCA involved because of that. I am supposed to meet with them at the dealership on Wednesday of this week. I am going to request a new engine. Warranty should cover I hope.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You could mention they took the course of action based on their opinion it was fixable. As in if they put in an engine in the first place they could have avoided that mess. However, for what dealers charge to put in engines, it will exceed value of truck, and even if it didn't, they would likely "say" it will. Try and work a buy back of your truck into the deal, they will sale something like that at auction as a total, they will take pennies on the dollar, but force them to not play with you and tell them you want that added in or forget it take them small claims.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I should have said they checked the valve seats, valves and springs. All they did was replace all the lifters and cam, along with all the gaskets needed to do the fix. Now it runs rough. that's why I got FCA involved because of that. I am supposed to meet with them at the dealership on Wednesday of this week. I am going to request a new engine. Warranty should cover I hope.
I would request new engine also......since they can't diagnose, maybe they can install new without any issues.....if not they need to find another line of work......LoL

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got a call from the tech at the dealership after the service called me and told me that a cylinder was out of position. The tech called me and corrected the statement and told me when they pulled the passenger side valve cover they found two rods on one cylinder that were not seated correctly and they fixed that. Then they went to the drivers side and found one rod not seated correctly and fixed that. They are closing everything back up this morning and are going to start it up and see what it does as far running and codes. I just hope they didn't bend a rod or worse put one through the cylinder. We will see.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Got a call from the tech at the dealership after the service called me and told me that a cylinder was out of position. The tech called me and corrected the statement and told me when they pulled the passenger side valve cover they found two rods on one cylinder that were not seated correctly and they fixed that. Then they went to the drivers side and found one rod not seated correctly and fixed that. They are closing everything back up this morning and are going to start it up and see what it does as far running and codes. I just hope they didn't bend a rod or worse put one through the cylinder. We will see.
That would be the push rods for the lifters, valves would fail to open all the way causing to run rough.
It is possible it bent the push rods & if they put longer ones in the wrong location could bend a valve & smack piston top.
So much for some dealership techs........

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's why we call them part changers and not mechanics.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thankyou to everyone on your thoughts. Its been a tough 4 weeks but Dealer called this morning and said they ran it last night and again this morning along with a trip of a few miles with a analyzer attached and seen no issues, no codes and running smoothly with no more noise. Going to pick it up this afternoon. Again thanks to everyone for there thoughts. I know it could have ended very bad but all is good for now. FCA tells me my warranty is good through 2/2022 so I can sleep at night now.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That's real good man, too bad so many crappy dealer stories have people believe the worst. Sounds like a reputable good dealer there.