tick 5.7 hemi, 2013 ram 1500, 146012 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well the nightmare begins all over again. Got my truck back Wednesday, drove it Thursday no issues, parked it and drove it Saturday to take garbage to dump. Coming back home truck died at stop sign, hard to start but started, drove to next stop sign and shut off again. Got it stated again got on interstate headed to dealership at 70 mph, oil pressure at 44, then in a matter of 30 seconds went down to 26, then 12 and 6, then nothing, lights on dashboard going off NO OIL PRESSURE, got her pulled off rattling away. Called tow truck, delivered to dealership, told service guy that I was pissed, told what happened and gave to keys to him and told him I will call him Monday.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wow, sorry to hear that. Well silver lining is you are definitely getting a new motor now. Hope they give you a nice loaner in the meantime.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
metal in oil is what the tech just called and told me. waiting to see what insurance says about it. When they cranked it and pulled it into shop the tech heard a lower end knock. Dropped oil pan and said it had a broken push rod and it was going to need a engine now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Insurance company approved engine replacement with used engine with 74000 miles on it. Just hope its a good one, anyway the policy still will be in force so any problems ay least they will cover it.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well got my truck back. motor failure was unrelated to the cam and lifter replacement that they did the first time. Motor failure was a rod sleeve at crank on #1 cylinder. A clip holding the crank bearing next to #1 cylinder shattered and a pieces of it was restricting oil flow to Rod sleeve bearings at crank shaft resulting in excessive wear on all rods connecting to cylinder heads. #1 rod was also fractured. The final death was a piece of the clip or crank bearing by #1 cylinder was sucked into oil pump when I was running at 70mph on interstate and oil pressure went to 0psi with oil temp spiking to 295 degrees. Needlessly my lifetime warranty forever with 100$ deductible replaced the engine with remanufactured one. Now have a rebuilt engine with 36 months/ unlimited milage and then my forever warranty kicks back in.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, here we go again. The used engine the warranty company put in now has lifter failure again. currently truck is in shop at dealership. they are in the process of tearing it down to see what is damaged. the used engine had 77000 miles on it at install and was inspected and certified. I put around 15000 more miles on it when the other day I was sitting in a drive thru and heard the ticking on drivers' side and was verified by dealership. My warranty for life should kick in again so my 1oo dollar deductible is all I should have as payment. more info to come as I get it.

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Heard from Dealer today. I guess the cam and 8 lifters are bad on drivers' side, so they are replacing cam and all lifters under warranty. Don't know yet if warranty service is going to let them look at passenger side, haven't heard yet,

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you are gonna keep it, I'd ask what they want to replace the other sides lifters added to the job, maybe 500 bucks or so. Legally and even morally, they are only on the line to fix what is damaged, but you might opt for all new lifters to match that cam for the long run. If you are thinking about getting out of that truck, maybe you should consider this, then let them fix it as is. There may be metal in that engine from the first fix, a fail 15k after a "fix" is a bad sign, or from the "new" engine whatever.

Every so often you get a "nugget" on how widespread this issue is. You have another low mileage hemi to replace your oem engine, and it also failed the same way, what are the chances?

OP
OP
shicksjr01

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, the dealership called today, and the insurance company authorized a complete upper rebuild, replacing cam and all lifter as well as gaskets. Also replacing both exhaust manifold gaskets. I have 100$ deductible so that's good. The last time they did this the engine lasted 2 days and it blew up so I hope I can trust it after this.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat