Tires or traction control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It just showed up at donor summit in California, but it was extremely wet and dense! Anyways I was making a turn in the snow and the damn thing got stuck, it was probably 6-9inches deep but couldn't get any traction!

My question is I have the traction control and terra grappler g2, my truck if in any snow seems really sloppy! Idk if it's the traction control or the tire? Or both! I'll post a picture of the snow later!

I had grapplers on my other truck and they seeker kinda sloppy in snow aswell! Maybe there not a good now tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It just showed up at donor summit in California, but it was extremely wet and dense! Anyways I was making a turn in the snow and the damn thing got stuck, it was probably 6-9inches deep but couldn't get any traction!

My question is I have the traction control and terra grappler g2, my truck if in any snow seems really sloppy! Idk if it's the traction control or the tire? Or both! I'll post a picture of the snow later!

I had grapplers on my other truck and they seeker kinda sloppy in snow aswell! Maybe there not a good now tire.

Agreed, feels liked the composition is too hard , to get better mileage they sacrifice traction. Like drivin on hard plastic , not rubber. Just my .02

Last edited:
OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed, feels liked the composition is too hard , to get better mileage that sacrifice traction. Like drivin on hard plastic , not rubber. Just my .02

It's probably the tires?

Doesn't feel like the tires are digging in to the snow

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Afaik the G2 were developped more like a street tire but with the look if a AT tire.

For AT application you should go for real AT tire

Last edited:

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a set of atturo trail blade xt's, I know they are not known and newish in the field , but so far they blow away the terra grapplers. I've heard few reviews on em and none have been bad. They balanced well and traction so far is WAY better than the nitto's.
4fe72462db5ff7fdd99f92c052d3372d.jpg

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Afaik the G2 were developped more like a street tire but with the look if a AT tire.

For AT application you should go for real AT tire
Are you Cereal? Fuuuck, What should be my next AT?

I do most 98% of my driving on pavement but when i need traction i want traction

Last edited:

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had good luck with my Cooper ATPs and have read mostly good reviews about their AT3s also. Two that consistently get really good reviews are the GY Duratracs and the BF Goodrich all terrain T/A ko2.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
You would have better luck with all seasons. They are off road looking tires not off road tires.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree with bryan, for on/off road performance... Cooper/Mickey Thompson have nailed it with their new tire designs. I take mine through sharp rocky climbs almost every weekend and I don't have 1 chunk yet.

The nittos would look like a grenade went off under them.

They handle better on the road, sound better, more rock ejectors, siping, look better, tougher side wall, tread...easy to balance and no crazy left/right pulls on the highway.

Im a fan.

IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it most likely the tires and not the traction control? Should I turn off the traction control when stuck-ish

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So it most likely the tires and not the traction control? Should I turn off the traction control when stuck-ish

No. unless in mud. Traction control in snow and ice actually helps. You actually DON'T want the snow to be cleared from the tires. A good snow tire has many sipes and small blocks with void between them to actually pick up the snow and drastically increase the surface area of the tire with the snow crystals, (think about rolling up a snowball). Spinning and throwing the snow is the last think you want. In snow think slow and easy.

In mud, let 'er rip tater chip!

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
:hmm:

first time I've been told that Toyo's and Nitto's were trash

I've always used Michelin LTX M/S 2, and have been extremely happy with them, but they have discontinued them and don't have the Defenders in the size I want

I have the Duratracs but want a load range E for towing and something less aggressive, my buddy had the Cooper AT3 but said they didn't last but 25,000 miles

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a bad review posted just the other day showing how out of round Atturos can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA7_jx-pbAM

Crazy, glad I didn't see this before I bought em. Mine mounted and balanced with NO issues at all. If I had seen this I may not have bought em. Maybe different because they're on 22's. Who knows ?? Any way for now I like em a lot. For the price it's a no brainer!

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No. unless in mud. Traction control in snow and ice actually helps. You actually DON'T want the snow to be cleared from the tires. A good snow tire has many sipes and small blocks with void between them to actually pick up the snow and drastically increase the surface area of the tire with the snow crystals, (think about rolling up a snowball). Spinning and throwing the snow is the last think you want. In snow think slow and easy.

In mud, let 'er rip tater chip!

i thought i was good driving in snow, The snow i was in was not deep like 9-12 inch deep... The onlything i can think, it was very wet, i just dont get even in 4wd, i couldnt even get enough traction to rock the truck back and forth. i had to dig down to street to get enough rock/ momentum to then floor it through to the street.

On a side note there was a Subaru and BMW that were struggling too

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i thought i was good driving in snow, The snow i was in was not deep like 9-12 inch deep... The onlything i can think, it was very wet, i just dont get even in 4wd, i couldnt even get enough traction to rock the truck back and forth. i had to dig down to street to get enough rock/ momentum to then floor it through to the street.

On a side note there was a Subaru and BMW that were struggling too

Lol lets hope they were struggling too, or else we should all be embarrassed haha

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol lets hope they were struggling too, or else we should all be embarrassed haha

I was super embarrassed but when all of those cars that are snow "idiot proof" were struggling, i was like okay. Someone said should have bought a ford, i was like :flipthebird:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca