Tires or traction control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
spring snow or slush is something completely different. Its like ice with built in water, (and anyone who has driven on water on top of ice knows what that is like). The water keeps the snow and ice from sticking to the tire and itself. In that condition momentum is your best friend.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What i still dont understand... Was my slippin and sliddin not getting any traction a tire issue, or the traction control, lets say i had BFG ko2 on, would i be in the same boat.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
spring snow or slush is something completely different. Its like ice with built in water, (and anyone who has driven on water on top of ice knows what that is like). The water keeps the snow and ice from sticking to the tire and itself. In that condition momentum is your best friend.

Glad to know i wasnt all crazy, going to pull a picture up of what i was "stuck in"

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
f663a91fd33fdb9d04af6717e08b0329.jpg

My truck is the only one there with **** in the back! Those "deep" tire patterns are mine. As you see i took a wide turn then reversed, and you can kinda see where i got stuck. if anyone has issues seeing this ill draw it out no problem... But i was trying to take a picture, because the view is amazing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
e64502631c4e30029f25675bbf56bbcc.jpg

Like I said great view! Be commercial status of the damn vw wasn't there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read through your posts and you mentioned having it in 4wd. If your 4wd is working properly and it wasn't a solid sheet of ice under the snow I'd have to say the tires are to blame because it isn't that deep. Having the extra weight from whatever was in the back of the truck should've helped too.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read through your posts and you mentioned having it in 4wd. If your 4wd is working properly and it wasn't a solid sheet of ice under the snow I'd have to say the tires are to blame because it isn't that deep. Having the extra weight from whatever was in the back of the truck should've helped too.

Im assuming the 4wd is in working order because there is no light on the says service 4x4... The Snow was watery and icy, it wasnt your nice crunch snowball making snow... It was wet, heavy, and firm. idk how to explain it. I mean there were other people struggling to get traction too, i just figured i got a nice truck with AT tires, not street tires and i cant even rock the truck...

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have to second the junk tire opinion. Being from Alaska, I'd never admit to being stuck in that... ;)

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to second the junk tire opinion. Being from Alaska, I'd never admit to being stuck in that... ;)

It could be driver error... But even if had no idea how do drive in snow, Not even the slightest, the truck should not have even been stuck in that... I was able to get it out with out a tow truck haha, i was able to eventually rock it and get out but sure was rediculous and embarresing...

Noob question, Would having a LSD or locker in that situation have done anything else?

Part of it was once i was moving i decided to stop and reverse on a hill, then try to move up. So i had no momentum. If i kept moving wouldnt have been an issue... But i wanted the shot haha

The tires did fairly well this past winter. The only other time i got stuck was when i went through a snow bank up a hill then realized probably a bad idea, reversed down the hill made a 4 point turn then got stuck in the icy snowbank and high centered. Going up a hill in 2wd with 2 feet of snow, it struggled but it made it! I did have this tire on my old ram my 04, after having Goodyear MT on them, and the MT seemed more solid on snow and ice then the grapper OG not the g2. And all of the reviews online say the g2 is the best. I have only really been stuck once, but this was a close to being stuck situation. So im at a loss.

Last edited:

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
lol... wasn't hacking on you... much ;)

yeah a LSD would have certainly helped.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol... wasn't hacking on you... much ;)

yeah a LSD would have certainly helped.

Is traction control crap? It almost seemed if i could have had more engine power could have maybe done something? Just want to make sure, spinning your tires is useless right? Giving it gas and moving steering wheel back and forth would have done nothing. Some "local" was telling me thats what i need todo...

You have to admit that, that picture was a nice shot, and worth slipin and sliding

BTW i have an edit on my last post

Alaskanpeeps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Alaska as well. Not having a lsd was the biggest problem. with out it and in 4wd you only have one front and one rear tire spinning. Traction control is great in some circumstances. For instance I kept getting stuck in sand pulling my travel trailer in to my new property. I'd berry my truck to the axles. My problem was I'd turn the traction control off ahead of time knowing I'd need to get ruff with it. Well one day I decided to leave the traction control on. And even though I started to get stuck. The traction control did its job and distributed the power to the tires that needed it. And I made it through. That was the day I learned what it actually did.
In ur situation knowing that there was gravel right under the slush. U should have turned it off and got in to the gas. It would have kept ur tread cleaned out wile digging down to the gravel where u could have got traction. The locals where right in saying to turn the wheel back and forth searching for traction. All the weight in the back of ur truck would help ur situation. For winter I run Toyo mts. And had them siped. they give me great traction in deep snow and the sipes work great on ice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Im assuming the 4wd is in working order because there is no light on the says service 4x4...
Which transfercase do you have? The 44-44 Full time(has the Auto 4x4 button) or the 44-45 Part time? You could be having issues of your fronts not engaging. The 44-44 has drawn criticism about how it engages: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEhT-scgV2o

Electronic traction control can only do so much.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which transfercase do you have? The 44-44 Full time(has the Auto 4x4 button) or the 44-45 Part time? You could be having issues of your fronts not engaging. The 44-44 has drawn criticism about how it engages: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEhT-scgV2o

Electronic traction control can only do so much.

The part time, 4 lock 4 low

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The part time, 4 lock 4 low

Without a limited slip differential in the rear, you essentially have a two wheel drive in the slick stuff, one in front, one in the rear.

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Few things in this thread that are false. First off nitto is not toyo nor is toyo nitto. I've had mud grapplers and trail grapplers and have gotten 30k out of both. They are a mud tire they are soft and need to be rotated every oil change. Nittos and toyo both make a great tire. The terra grappler g2 is a great snow tire and so is the r/t. Yes a mud tire will chunk on rocks well because it's made for mud. If your gunna be on rocks get the r/t. Yeah a hard tire will last longer but plastic doesn't grip with a **** so you have to make a compermise they don't make a tire that you can pound through the mud and not chunk not howl and last longer then 40k and have good grip on wet tar it's just not gunna happen so pick a tire that fits your driving style best. Oh and no one is giving anything away so you get what you pay for is very true with tires.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Few things in this thread that are false. First off nitto is not toyo nor is toyo nitto. I've had mud grapplers and trail grapplers and have gotten 30k out of both. They are a mud tire they are soft and need to be rotated every oil change. Nittos and toyo both make a great tire. The terra grappler g2 is a great snow tire and so is the r/t. Yes a mud tire will chunk on rocks well because it's made for mud. If your gunna be on rocks get the r/t. Yeah a hard tire will last longer but plastic doesn't grip with a **** so you have to make a compermise they don't make a tire that you can pound through the mud and not chunk not howl and last longer then 40k and have good grip on wet tar it's just not gunna happen so pick a tire that fits your driving style best. Oh and no one is giving anything away so you get what you pay for is very true with tires.

Toyo and Nitto are very much the same tire, same compounds, same company.
8c19bbf2643e7b6b67d218535f38c251.jpg

Mud tires are among many #1 choices for rock crawling along with swampers.

With that said, Ive seen the chunking of toyo tires first hand.. The same trail, the same day, with my coopers...zero.

What some consider lasting 40k or more, doesn't apply to everyone.. M/t, a/t, commercial.. When you buy tires for the purpose of using the tread (off road)..they should all be replaced before 40k anyways. Unless you're the type that will drive on a tire until it no longer passes inspection or the steel is showing...

What I'm trying to say is that toyo is nitto, mud tires are great for mud and rocks, nitto sucks, 99% of the time that someone has 40k on their set of tires, they were done with 10k miles ago, and nitto sucks.
https://youtu.be/7THp4XD-NxI

IMO

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've ran multiple Nitto Trail Grappler tires in 35x12.5 R/17 on multiple vehicles.. I've ran all of the major brands in mud terrain... Toyo Tires weather they are nitto or not are complete garbage, Worst tire I and many I know has ever ran.... Ive ran Nittos, Toyos Procomp xterains, mud terrains, BFG mud terrains, Cooper mud terrains and a off brand named Mud Claw made by cooper.

All of these except the Mud Claws were ran on vehicles that weighed 6500lbs to 10,000lbs used heavily off road, in the snow, mud and pavement. Out of all of them the Nitto Trail Grapplers got the best performance, and wear life following to the proper replacement at wear bars. second was the MT Baja MTZ. 3rd was Cooper STT's Pro's

With the nitto's I constantly put those things to the most abuse one could on the farm off road towing etc etc.... all in all it was the best tire that held up with its stiff sidewall and soft tread. Now mind you the longest I would have them on my trucks was about 1-1.5 years and 35k-40k. The last set was changed at 42k on a solid axle CTD Ram... I may be that 1% but I'm that 1% that has ran more tires than most....

Another new tire that is out on the market produced by Federal is a new tire company called Patriot tire, so far they have a great reporting and they are claimed to be made from similar rubber mix as a semi tire....

Now for the Nitto Toyo debate, as I have heard this a lot myself I have yet to hear any actual truth to this other than people talking on forums and the unreliable Wiki site. I take it with a grain of sale for a few reasons, its the same type of myth that has floated around about ford owning cummins, If toyo and nitto are the same why does Les Schwab only carry Toyo and others that carry nitto don't carry Toyo... just a few things to think about but doesn't really matter cause my real world experience tells me that Nitto is whom will get my money.