Towing upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaryRamSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 2.7
I have a 2015 Sport with 3.21 gear ratio and will be towing a 22 foot travel trailer with it. I've had the factory trailer brake controller installed and will be using a Blue Ox WDH with built in sway control. The trailer is 3,750 lbs dry and just under 5,000 lbs loaded with a tongue weight of 375 lbs. I'm well within my weight ranges but want to take care of my truck since it's main duty is my comfortable daily driver. Are there any upgrades that I should look into to ensure that I'm protecting it while using it to tow? I'm worried about longer trips through the mountains and know that my truck wasn't built with towing in mind. Thanks for the feedback.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That little bit of weight I wouldn't be concerned. The WDH is overkill in my opinion for that load. Check your fluids. Watch your Trans temp although I doubt it will get too hot and test your trailer brakes regularly as well as clean and check your trailer light/brake plugs. I've pulled a lot heavier with a lot less truck without any problems outside of trailer brake problems and the odd flat tire.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You're fine with what you have. It will tow fine as long as you don't exceed the tow rating.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Watch your tires and be sure they are at max cold PSI when towing. Tires are probably the weak link in your setup. If/when you replace them you might go to something with a higher load range rating. But, as the others have said, you have a good setup and should be fine.

Just re-reading your post. Is that 375# tongue with the loaded 5000# trailer or the dry weight? If it's with the loaded weight that's a very light tongue weight to trailer weight ratio. Lighter tongue weights generally result in more sway. If you experience sway, adjusting your WDH to put more weight on the truck should help.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That's good setup you have. If I'm understanding you correctly... you're very aware of that, but want to go above and beyond to ensure your truck lasts a long time. Preventative maintenance. Use the severe schedule for changing fluids and all other aspects of maintaining your truck. It's also never a bad idea to install a heat-dissipating tranny pan and differential covers to ensure the ability to maintain optimal temps while towing in the hilly stuff.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If those weights are brochure weights, take them with a large lump of salt. Mine claimed 675# tongue. Fully loaded it’s closer to 1100.
375 is way too low for a 5K trailer. It would be hard to keep on the road that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If those weights are brochure weights, take them with a large lump of salt. Mine claimed 675# tongue. Fully loaded it’s closer to 1100.
375 is way too low for a 5K trailer. It would be hard to keep on the road that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is accurate, figure 12% tongue weight, that's 600lbs and that is marginal. 375 on tongue wit 5k loaded trailer weight, you'd likely have very bad sway.. you need good tongue weight for towing stability, don't matter if your towing with a 1500 or a semi truck

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tongue weight figure is for unloaded trailer. Manufacturer would have no way to know how much of the 5000lb. gross weight you are actually using. Plus, depending on how much is loaded in front of the axles, the tongue weight will change. Regardless, you will be fine. I towed a 25' rv with GVW of 5500lbs all the way to South Dakota and back (4000 miles) with my 2015 QC 1500 with 3.21 rears. Towed like a dream even with 20+ mph crosswinds.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also think you're good to go. Fill those tires to max pressure while towing, and ensure the tongue weight is at least 10% of total trailer weight. Preferably 12% - 15%.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Watch your tires and be sure they are at max cold PSI when towing. Tires are probably the weak link in your setup. If/when you replace them you might go to something with a higher load range rating. But, as the others have said, you have a good setup and should be fine.

Just re-reading your post. Is that 375# tongue with the loaded 5000# trailer or the dry weight? If it's with the loaded weight that's a very light tongue weight to trailer weight ratio. Lighter tongue weights generally result in more sway. If you experience sway, adjusting your WDH to put more weight on the truck should help.

I have wondered about that, I hear alot of max PSI at cold rating but tires expand no? So like my tires are 50 PSI and I fill cold to 50 PSI wouldn't them expanding and going beyond the 50 cause them to fail? I have been curious on this for quite some time.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have wondered about that, I hear alot of max PSI at cold rating but tires expand no? So like my tires are 50 PSI and I fill cold to 50 PSI wouldn't them expanding and going beyond the 50 cause them to fail? I have been curious on this for quite some time.

That's all figured in with PSI ratings. I'd imagine the engineers plan for the hottest scenario possible. Like driving across Death Valley in 120 degree weather. I watch mine on my DIC sometimes in hot weather and they get well above the 80 cold PSI.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The max psi is the cold rating so they are meant to go higher as the temp increases. They will fluctuate quite a bit.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
These trailers tow pretty well with minimal tongue weight because they're well balanced. For example most of the time the kitchen and heavier stuff is centered over the axle. I pull compressors and generators that way over 4K and you can pick up the tongue by hand yet they tow like they aren't even there. If it has a lot of weight in the front and the back and the middle is light it'll teeter over bumps and throw you around, but well loaded and/or engineered the tongue weight doesn't need to be that high.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That's all figured in with PSI ratings. I'd imagine the engineers plan for the hottest scenario possible. Like driving across Death Valley in 120 degree weather. I watch mine on my DIC sometimes in hot weather and they get well above the 80 cold PSI.
Thank you, didn't know that. Brings some comfort.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks Billyw. That sums up my point quite nicely.

OP
OP
CaryRamSport

CaryRamSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 2.7
Thanks for all of the responses. I ended up upgrading to a 17 Bighorn with the 3.92 ration, and trans cooler. I didn't gain any in payload but picked up some towing capacity and peace of mind.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all of the responses. I ended up upgrading to a 17 Bighorn with the 3.92 ration, and trans cooler. I didn't gain any in payload but picked up some towing capacity and peace of mind.

You should be fine. We tow the same dry weight (3,750) trailer, first with my 2015 Sport 2WD and now my 2017 Laramie 4WD. Both trucks have 3.92 setup which comes in handy on steep grades. I also use a WDH as it really helps alleviate any rear end bounce on the truck. Just make sure your TT is level, along with the truck and check your trailer tires frequently for any uneven tread blocks or side bubbles. Trailer tires unfortunately are mostly made in China so keeping them at max cold pressure will help prevent overheating and other undesirable problems.