Tranny shifting funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TripleT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Hey, i just got back from my deployment and my wife was driving my truck while i was gone( im not blaming it on her) but i lifted it 5 inchs and put 35 inch tires on it with steel wheels. I feel like the stock gear ratio is not strong enough to turn these tires. so i think my tranny is taking a beating from this, when it shifts gears it takes forever and when it finally shifts it feels like it goes into neutral and then changes gear. it takes a very long time to get to 60 MPH. ive read on other threads that it might be the TPS sensor or it might be the Governor solenoid set up next to the valve body. i dont want to go to auto zone and buy off brand crap. i wanted to replace the parts with after market parts meant to take abuse off road. Let me know if any of you dont understand what i mean by the tranny shifting. I have a appointment in a couple days to get my axles rebuilt and have 4.56 gears put in to see if that will help. im going to pay 2500 for both axles to get done, i dont think is that bad of a price plus they will get my truck back to me in two days. im in alaska so anything up here is expensive. let me know what you guys think i should do. Thanks. Its a 1999 dodge ram 1500 laramie 5.2l 46re

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thats because the stock gear ratio is not enough. This is a classic example of what happens when you dont regear. Grenades the driveline.

4.56 is what you need to turn those big tires, good choice on gears. Your truck will feel like it did with stock tires (Usually 245's). Great price for 2 rebuilds and gear installs! Thats for both axles? Id look at going with a Dana 60 swap though, half ton axles suck for offroad... or just about anything other then stock use LOL. IMO. You prob have to replace wheel bearings and ball joints every year right?

Sounds like a slipping trans to me, you might be able to get some more life out of it with a service (fluid and filter change, band adjustment, then try adjusting TV cable), but id start looking at a rebuild. Sorry boss, but I could be wrong to though, hopefully I am!

BTW Deployment as in Military?

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
John is right about your tranny. That slipping is a tell tale sign of eminent failure. You may get a little more life out of it with some maintenance (governor pressure sensor/solenoid swap, band adjustment, fluid/filter change). But you will need a rebuild at some point.

OP
OP
T

TripleT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Yes deployment as in military. ive been in the air fore for a couple years now. im stationed in alaska and the off roading is great up here. yeah ive been looking at rebuild kits for my tranny. i found a couple of used trannies up here for a couple hundred bucks that i was thinking about buying and rebuilding in my garage while i destroy the other one in the woods. yes they are rebuilding both axles completely minus axle shafts. im dropping the truck off in a couple days and when i get it back i will post on how it is driving.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes deployment as in military. ive been in the air fore for a couple years now. im stationed in alaska and the off roading is great up here. yeah ive been looking at rebuild kits for my tranny. i found a couple of used trannies up here for a couple hundred bucks that i was thinking about buying and rebuilding in my garage while i destroy the other one in the woods. yes they are rebuilding both axles completely minus axle shafts. im dropping the truck off in a couple days and when i get it back i will post on how it is driving.

Well thank you for your service!

I imagine the wheeling in Alaska is awesome! Sounds good man, let us know how it feels after! I think your gonna like the 4.56's :naughty:

OP
OP
T

TripleT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Update. Dropped the truck off tomorrow. they found a couple things wrong with my front differential, and they need to put a different set up to make the 4.56 gears work. Complete job they said should me 3k. ill be picking the truck up in two days.

OP
OP
T

TripleT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Update. Just got my truck back from the shop. They rebuilt both axles minus replacing axle shafts and put the 4.56 gears in. Total job cost me 2750 with my military discount. Now to talk about how the truck runs, so before the regear my truck would take forever to get to 60MPH and the gears would slip no matter what. Now the transmission only does this weird thing in first to second, its not like its slipping its like it shifts to second then pauses then continues going on. It is very weird, but the rest of the gears shift very smoothly. It is still slow seeing as its a lifted truck with 35s and steel 15 inch rims. It drives much better and i wish i did this last summer. Anyone deciding to regear dont think twice about it, get it done and you will be very happy. Also i have noticed my gas mileage is improving because my motor is not in such high RPMs to get the truck moving. Im very happy.:pepper: