Uconnect OTA Update Endless Loop Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I spoke with customer support and was told to perform a reboot AFTER the update took place but was still showing as required with the annoying popup "schedule update" screen. My radio was not outputting any sound but would let me change inputs. Backup camera and phone bluetooth worked for calls but not much else.

"Harman Radio FOTA Concern. Customer may postpone the FOTA update up to 20 times. After this, the radio transitions to “forced update” mode, and the user is required to schedule the update. Radio functions are blocked in this mode until the update is completed. In certain cases, under this “forced update” mode, the FOTA may complete, but the popup continues to persist even over ignition cycles. If this condition occurs, the following procedure can be used to recover and clear the popups.

Important: In the recovery process the ignition must remain on and the set time must be allowed to expire prior to performing the two button reset.

Recovery Process to stop popups from recurring:

1. Choose 'schedule Update'.

2. Set time at least 2 minutes ahead of current time. (For example, if the radio currently shows 10:46 AM, set the time for 10:48 AM). This step is to ensure that “set time” is in the future, and not recently past. However, customers CANNOT set time earlier than 10 minutes past the hour. (For example, the set time cannot be anytime between 10:00 AM – 10:09 AM, 2:00 PM – 2:09 PM, 11:00 PM—11:09 PM, etc.)

3. Confirm that the time is set 2 minutes into the future and select 'Set Time'.

4. In the next screen, select 'OK' to approve the installation. Do NOT press the X. Verify the time on the screen is the correct, no digits are missing, same as the time originally selected. If this screen does not appear, re-initiate from step 1.

5. Keep the ignition on and wait for 3 minutes to allow the set time to pass (for example, if the time was set for 10:48 AM, wait until at least 10:49 AM). Ignition must remain on throughout this process.

Uconnect-Capture.png

7. The 'Schedule Update' popup will appear again after the radio resets, but do NOT perform the Set Time at this time. Instead proceed to ignition off BUS sleep cycle.

8. Perform a complete one hour BUS sleep cycle.

a. Ignition off.

b. open door

c. close door

d. lock the door

e. Wait for One Hour.

f. Make sure keys are 25 feet or more away from vehicle if a Keyless Go vehicle.

9. After the one hour BUS sleep cycle is completed, turn the Ignition On, and confirm that the software update pop up is no longer present."

davidd13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for posting this. I just got the dreaded update screen today and kept postponing it because I was driving around town and got the forced update message. When I finally got home and scheduled an update, the popup screen would not go away, and the radio would not function. After applying the process, my radio/navigation functions returned to normal. I have a 2014 Ram Laramie with and 8.4 head and navigation.

OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Glad it helped. If anyone needs the entire document just send me a PM with your email. It was a lot of picture cut/paste to upload everything.

sanch109

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello.

I tried this and it didn’t work.

Do I do the initial steps with the truck turned on?

I did the first 7 steps with the truck on then turned it off on step 8.

Am I missing something?

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Should we go through this process if we get the ota update message for the 1st time? Or is this just to fix the failed ota update?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should we go through this process if we get the ota update message for the 1st time? Or is this just to fix the failed ota update?

it sounds like this is for after the OTA update is done but for some reason you keep getting the pop up. I don't think this cancels the OTA update from updating....

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for posting this. I've been getting the message for a few weeks, and everytime I would schedule it......but a few days later it would start asking again. Yesterday it started asking again and wouldn't stop.....and wouldn't you know it, we're on a long trip, so having no radio sucked yesterday. Did your fix this morning and "voila", I have a radio again :) 2016 Rebel with 8.4 Nav radio.

Ram really needs to better test their update procedures....this one sucks.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So is there anyway to force the OTA update screen to pop up? Mine came up once, failed and hasn't come up since....

E-rok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had this happen to me yesterday, it kept prompting an update and locked the radio. Set it for 3 min ahead, and then held the buttons down for a reset and it has gone away so far.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did notice that my SW version is still the same version (17.43.01) that I updated to last November. So the update didn't happen, but my radio isn't locked anymore, so I'm happy. Guess I'll check if the update can be downloaded from the Mopar website.

Ox1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine tried to update while I was driving & failed. I reset the system & the "endless loop" went away and I got my radio back. Now it's trying to update again & doing the exact same crap. I'll try the OP's instructions ... this sucks!!

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I spoke with customer support and was told to perform a reboot AFTER the update took place but was still showing as required with the annoying popup "schedule update" screen. My radio was not outputting any sound but would let me change inputs. Backup camera and phone bluetooth worked for calls but not much else.

"Harman Radio FOTA Concern. Customer may postpone the FOTA update up to 20 times. After this, the radio transitions to “forced update” mode, and the user is required to schedule the update. Radio functions are blocked in this mode until the update is completed. In certain cases, under this “forced update” mode, the FOTA may complete, but the popup continues to persist even over ignition cycles. If this condition occurs, the following procedure can be used to recover and clear the popups.

Important: In the recovery process the ignition must remain on and the set time must be allowed to expire prior to performing the two button reset.

Recovery Process to stop popups from recurring:

1. Choose 'schedule Update'.

2. Set time at least 2 minutes ahead of current time. (For example, if the radio currently shows 10:46 AM, set the time for 10:48 AM). This step is to ensure that “set time” is in the future, and not recently past. However, customers CANNOT set time earlier than 10 minutes past the hour. (For example, the set time cannot be anytime between 10:00 AM – 10:09 AM, 2:00 PM – 2:09 PM, 11:00 PM—11:09 PM, etc.)

3. Confirm that the time is set 2 minutes into the future and select 'Set Time'.

4. In the next screen, select 'OK' to approve the installation. Do NOT press the X. Verify the time on the screen is the correct, no digits are missing, same as the time originally selected. If this screen does not appear, re-initiate from step 1.

5. Keep the ignition on and wait for 3 minutes to allow the set time to pass (for example, if the time was set for 10:48 AM, wait until at least 10:49 AM). Ignition must remain on throughout this process.

Uconnect-Capture.png

7. The 'Schedule Update' popup will appear again after the radio resets, but do NOT perform the Set Time at this time. Instead proceed to ignition off BUS sleep cycle.

8. Perform a complete one hour BUS sleep cycle.

a. Ignition off.

b. open door

c. close door

d. lock the door

e. Wait for One Hour.

f. Make sure keys are 25 feet or more away from vehicle if a Keyless Go vehicle.

9. After the one hour BUS sleep cycle is completed, turn the Ignition On, and confirm that the software update pop up is no longer present."
Also stand on one leg and jump up and down 25 times. Just go to dealer and they will do it. Called uconnect customer service today uconnect called dealer 3 way call set up appointment for them to do the update. The update if you screw it up bad will brick your radio then its got to be replaced on your dime.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also stand on one leg and jump up and down 25 times. Just go to dealer and they will do it. Called uconnect customer service today uconnect called dealer 3 way call set up appointment for them to do the update. The update if you screw it up bad will brick your radio then its got to be replaced on your dime.

Dealer was able to install 18.x?

OP
OP
QwikKota

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Is there an ignore button for you?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there an ignore button for you?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Just cant fix ignorance its ******.So no help for you. Hope your radio is working MR I can do it All, I know my Radio will be just fine

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealer was able to install 18.x?
Going this week no problem again if you attempt this on your own their is a giant chance of turning your radio into a brick , and then you will have to replace it> 829 at dealer and installing extra cost. Me just rather have them update it, and they mess it up its all on them. No brainier but you do have some idiots that think aim crazy why is that? those are the people you ignore. Also if you don't think it can not happen just read up on it.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going this week no problem again if you attempt this on your own their is a giant chance of turning your radio into a brick , and then you will have to replace it> 829 at dealer and installing extra cost. Me just rather have them update it and they mess it up its all on them. No brainier but you do have some idiots that think aim crazy why is that? those are the people you ignore. Also if you don't think it can not happen just read up on it.

Im asking because the only version "we" can install is 17.43.01. The version this thread is about is 18.something and as far as I know is NOT downloadable nor is it available to a dealer as a standalone file.

So if you go to the dealer, please report if they install 17.43.01 or 18.something.

As far as self-installation, yes, it can brick the radio. But so can the OTA so can the dealer.

Out of the 3 possibilities, I trust myself more than the other 2!

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im asking because the only version "we" can install is 17.43.01. The version this thread is about is 18.something and as far as I know is NOT downloadable nor is it available to a dealer as a standalone file.

So if you go to the dealer, please report if they install 17.43.01 or 18.something.

As far as self-installation, yes, it can brick the radio. But so can the OTA so can the dealer.

Out of the 3 possibilities, I trust myself more than the other 2!
Well as of yesterday uconnect called the dealer on a three way conversion and set it up for the dealer to do the install of the update on my 2016 Ram Laramie no charge. But their are knuckle heads out their because they spends hours cutting and pasting. your only supposed to do what they say. Well I would rather have the dealer do the update that's why we paid all this money for the radio in the first place. Good luck Also if dealer bricks your radio its on them.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well as of yesterday uconnect called the dealer on a three way conversion and set it up for the dealer to do the install of the update on my 2016 Ram Laramie no charge. But their are knuckle heads out their because they spends hours cutting and pasting. your only supposed to do what they say. Well I would rather have the dealer do the update that's why we paid all this money for the radio in the first place. Good luck Also if dealer bricks your radio its on them.

Do let us know, because the "knuckleheads" most likely dont know WTF they are talking about :)

They might install 17.43.01, but that is NOT THE UPDATE this thread is referring to.

Not saying YOU are wrong, but THEY are wrong. Very interested to know what update you end up with (if any).

FWIW, I installed 17.43.01 on my own without issue. I believe the USB form of their updates is pretty solid, the bricking is usually from a failed OTA. And honestly Im not even sure how many are relaly BRICKED, versus dealers/Uconnect/whoever knowing the system enough to figure out how to get out of it.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do let us know, because the "knuckleheads" most likely dont know WTF they are talking about :)

They might install 17.43.01, but that is NOT THE UPDATE this thread is referring to.

Not saying YOU are wrong, but THEY are wrong. Very interested to know what update you end up with (if any).

FWIW, I installed 17.43.01 on my own without issue. I believe the USB form of their updates is pretty solid, the bricking is usually from a failed OTA. And honestly Im not even sure how many are relaly BRICKED, versus dealers/Uconnect/whoever knowing the system enough to figure out how to get out of it.
I will let you know my appointment is this coming Thursday for the Uconnect update.The last update was 17.43 this new update is 18. something