Under the hood heat pad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgtryanusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's the point of this thing? I'm having a time with my windshield washers and was considering permanently removing it. Bad idea? Why? Thank you!

20200620_212336.jpg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Sound/vibration deadener.. Personally get rid of it, it holds heat, mice and other animals love it and it's also a great forestarter once flame gets to it... Don't ask how I know lol

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
It definately doesn't. Last time one caught fire it spewed transmission fluid on that, soaked in ATF it then it ignited. If it was just metal nothin would have gotten out of hand.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
It definately doesn't. Last time one caught fire it spewed transmission fluid on that, soaked in ATF it then it ignited. If it was just metal nothin would have gotten out of hand.

Did the actual pad burn or was it just the transmission fluid burning? I'd leave it in, not only does it deaden sound and protect the hood paint from engine heat, but it helps keep the engine and battery warm when parked.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
It burned to bits! Had that not been there the truck could probly have been saved. I hate sound deadener like these they're basically just wicks waiting to light up.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
It burned to bits! Had that not been there the truck could probly have been saved. I hate sound deadener like these they're basically just wicks waiting to light up.

How did it end up soaked in ATF?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Vent tube was plugged off it pressured up popped the dipstick out and that was the end. Tranny was slippin pretty bad to begin with but still that felt crap didn't help at all.

But hey atleast dodge doesn't use the same stuff for fender liners and skid plates like Chev and Ford do lol

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Vent tube was plugged off it pressured up popped the dipstick out and that was the end. Tranny was slippin pretty bad to begin with but still that felt crap didn't help at all.

But hey atleast dodge doesn't use the same stuff for fender liners and skid plates like Chev and Ford do lol

Well the good thing is the 8-speed doesn't have a dipstick for the tranny :D

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Don't remind me! I hate that aspect of it! I wana make one for the 8 speed.

I'm happy not having a dipstick. My old Ford had problems with the dipstick falling out and contaminating the transmission. Cost me a whole new transmission at a hundred forty thousand miles because the dipstick had come loose and I didn't realize it. Then years later it happened again. Saw a puddle of ATF under the truck and got under there and it had come loose. Had to put another one in. Fortunately the transmission was still okay. So I think the idea of having it sealed is a good idea!