Under the hood heat pad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
But did that Challenger have one of those big engine cover type deals?I know sometimes you open up the engine on new cars and all you can see is a big plastic cover. That probably is enough to insulate it.
Nope it was a shaker hood car,so no insulation blanket or fancy plastic covers on the engine. Insulation hood blankets on trucks are relatively new, with-in the last 20 years,prior to that the majority of trucks had a painted hood underneath,with no insulation blanket. If you're running hot enough to blister the paint on the hood,you got far more serious issues,and i think you should be pulling over and grabbing the fire extinguisher,as things might get really hot in a big hurry,lol

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
People get some weird superstitions about car parts. Apparently 20w oil is an evil government plot to make you buy less fuel, hood insulation is an evil plot to feed rats, MDS is an evil plot to destroy lifters even on non-MDS engines somehow. It's a miracle people trust any of the other engineering that goes into vehicles.

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My last truck was a 2004 Ram SLT Quad and it did not have the underhood heat blanket/shield. I traded it in when I purchased my current truck in 2018 (14 yrs old). There was absolutely no discoloration in the hood paint. It sat outside uncovered it's entire life. It had 193,000 miles on it also.

I don't have a picture of the hood, but this is a picture I took two days before I traded it in. I know my paint was NOT hampered by the absence of a hood liner/shield.

ETA: mileage

Last edited:

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to add more info. I had originally early on wanted to get the hood liner for my '04, but decided it was more $$ than I wanted to spend at the time. The actual name of the part was listed on some websites as a sound insulator.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I can only contribute this little bit of info- the clips that hold the liner in are $3.50'ish each piece from my local dealer but they are $10 for a bag of 25 off amazon. the part # is
4878883AA. They seem to be more or less a one and done kind of part.

Octane

Reaction score
People get some weird superstitions about car parts. Apparently 20w oil is an evil government plot to make you buy less fuel, hood insulation is an evil plot to feed rats, MDS is an evil plot to destroy lifters even on non-MDS engines somehow. It's a miracle people trust any of the other engineering that goes into vehicles.
20w oil is an american government plot, americans are to use it but the same cars overseas can use 30w.American rats are different,they like tasty underhood insulation.The engineers that are to be trusted are the same ones that designed fca lifters.And it's in any real americans blood to know better than to trust government.Government,not money is the root of all evil.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Nope it was a shaker hood car,so no insulation blanket or fancy plastic covers on the engine. Insulation hood blankets on trucks are relatively new, with-in the last 20 years,prior to that the majority of trucks had a painted hood underneath,with no insulation blanket. If you're running hot enough to blister the paint on the hood,you got far more serious issues,and i think you should be pulling over and grabbing the fire extinguisher,as things might get really hot in a big hurry,lol

Maybe true, but I still see no reason at all to remove it. Should keep the engine bay a little bit more temperate and cut down the noise a little bit, and like I said before, I think it looks good. But then I don't spend a whole lot of time standing in front of the truck looking in the engine bay.. I'm usually driving it :cool:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Maybe true, but I still see no reason at all to remove it. Should keep the engine bay a little bit more temperate and cut down the noise a little bit, and like I said before, I think it looks good. But then I don't spend a whole lot of time standing in front of the truck looking in the engine bay.. I'm usually driving it :cool:

I never said remove it, i just stated that some FCA vehicles don't have a hood insulation blanket. It's up to the OP on whether he wants to remove it or not,i was just letting the rest of you guys know that some vehicles don't have the blanket. And also that a hood insulation blanket is a relatively new item added to the trucks in the last 20 years or so,trucks prior to that time usually didn't have a hood isolation blanket. If some of the Challengers don't have the blanket and there's no issue with cooking the hood paint on them,i'm pretty sure there'd be no issue on a truck either,considering the engine bay on the trucks is probably close to twice as big as the cars engine bay. If he wants to remove it,all the power to him,as there's a few guys racing the trucks who've stripped the blanket off for weight savings,and i can't say as i've seen one of them yell about blistered paint,lol. Besides it's his truck,and i'm pretty sure he's allowed to remove it if he wants,i don't think the government watch dogs have made it illegal to remove it "yet",but give them a few more years and they might,lol

19PowerWagon392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys have the same hood liner I have? It's just a very thin, stiff, felt like pad that's molded to the shape of the hood and its supporting structure. I think it looks great. In fact, I think it would look funny without it. The only thing the mice touched in my engine bay was the battery blanket, and they just took a little bit of it. I believe those are made from a plant-based material now.
They are Soy-based, how stupid is that, either way, the will always nest in it if it sits long enough, Sad part is the wrap around the wires is the same material, I'm sure you can figure out what happens when they start chewing on that!

Jim Flaherty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two points,
- remove battery blanket if you live in warm climate, heat is battery's enemy.
- pine squirrel warmed up on my engine and chewed through an injector wire, now I keep a small pail of mothballs under the truck

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My brand new 19 classic didn’t come with one. The ones I’ve seen seem to come with a hood light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to go double check my 19 classic.
Have the hood insulation but NO underhood light.
The no light thing kinda ****** me off, my 17 I traded had BOTH

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
My dealer said that they quit installing the under hood light as standard in 2018. You must order it or install it yourself.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I purchased this kit to add the light to my Ram.
https://www.amazon.com/2012-2016-Dodge-Under-Harness-Mopar/dp/B0178GNMDU
It fits 2012 to 2018 (same part number as dealer 2012-2018) so it should fit your classic.
There are two utube video’s which make installing a 10 minute task.

Do you have the connector for it on the passenger side of your engine bay? It's a very easy install and you don't actually have to remove the liner to put it in. You can just feed the wire down the channel and then connect the push pins that you can get to.

I recently got a LED bulb for mine and it's much brighter.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-TWISTED-Festoon-Interior-Lights/dp/B073VFDFN7

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you have the connector for it on the passenger side of your engine bay? It's a very easy install and you don't actually have to remove the liner to put it in. You can just feed the wire down the channel and then connect the push pins that you can get to.

And thank you sir for that led tip. I got the same for mine & its a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I have a buddy who just bought a 2019 Classic,and we spent an hour trying to find the pigtail for an underhood light on his truck,and it appears like FCA did away with the hood light pigtail on some of the trucks,as we couldn't find it,and i know where to look for it.I even traced the harness back aways and there's nothing on his truck as far as hood light pigtail is concerned.Truck in question is a 2019 Stinger Yellow Express ,but he does have the underhood insulation pad,lol

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I have a buddy who just bought a 2019 Classic,and we spent an hour trying to find the pigtail for an underhood light on his truck,and it appears like FCA did away with the hood light pigtail on some of the trucks,as we couldn't find it,and i know where to look for it.I even traced the harness back aways and there's nothing on his truck as far as hood light pigtail is concerned.Truck in question is a 2019 Stinger Yellow Express ,but he does have the underhood insulation pad,lol

Back on another thread about the underhood light I remember some people said many of the made in America Rams didn't have that connector, but the ones made Mexico like my regular cab Tradesman did have it. Hard to believe they'd leave it off upper end trucks, and put it on a basic one like mine.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93