Under the hood heat pad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramtrucker12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sound/vibration deadener.. Personally get rid of it, it holds heat, mice and other animals love it and it's also a great forestarter once flame gets to it... Don't ask how I know lol

I can attest to this thing being a nesting place for mice...they destroyed mine and I had to remove it to get rid of the little rodents! Unfortunately, I purchased a new pad ($125) and those little freaking clips that hold it in (7 for $25, rip off) before I did some research and found it's not necessary to have it. The damn thing is sitting in the garage now as I try to decide if I'm really going to install it or not.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I found a mouse nest on top of my engine not long after I bought my truck, they'd eaten some of the battery blanket and I think it happened at the dealership. I bought some spray that's supposed to repel mice and other rodents and sprayed that for a while, but I haven't seen any return of rodents since.

I think the logical thing to do is to leave it on, unless you live in an area that has a lot of mice. Then take it off. Or try the rodent spray and see if that helps. But I can't see any reason just to take it off unless the rodents are constantly eating it

Blue Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No Spark Plugs
Rodent habitat, I remove them on all of my vehicles. Haven't seen paint damage from heat yet.

Octane

Reaction score
Did not know that people lived with so many rats.Think I'll remove my carpet too. Lol

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
You guys have the same hood liner I have? It's just a very thin, stiff, felt like pad that's molded to the shape of the hood and its supporting structure. I think it looks great. In fact I think it would look funny without it. The only thing the mice touched in my engine bay was the battery blanket, and they just took a little bit of it. I believe those are made from a plant-based material now.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What's the point of this thing? I'm having a time with my windshield washers and was considering permanently removing it. Bad idea? Why? Thank you!

View attachment 212559

I really believe my 2005 1500 never had one of those., so you should be fine. On the other hand, I had that thing so long maybe I did take it out (or it fell apart) and I don't remember. But I think I never had a liner like that.

My 2020 Laramie sure as hell does tho...

mhud59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just a thought, would the heat from the exhaust manifolds and engine heat discolor the paint if you remove the padding?

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a thought, would the heat from the exhaust manifolds and engine heat discolor the paint if you remove the padding?
51 posts later and we still trying to answer the OP’s question. There seems to be 50% per side. For arguments sake, has anyone had their paint peel off or ever saw this in real life? Could be one of those “Bigfoot” myths that maybe true, but then again, why hasn’t one popped up dead somewhere? Still this question goes unanswered and It’s probably best to giver hell if you take it off If you are and post up your results in one years time about your hood paint bubbling/peeling off or not.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
51 posts later and we still trying to answer the OP’s question. There seems to be 50% per side. For arguments sake, has anyone had their paint peel off or ever saw this in real life? Could be one of those “Bigfoot” myths that maybe true, but then again, why hasn’t one popped up dead somewhere? Still this question goes unanswered and It’s probably best to giver hell if you take it off If you are and post up your results in one years time about your hood paint bubbling/peeling off or not.

A guy I met at Mcdonaolds says his cousins freinds brother buddy had his Ram Hood Paint not aonly burn off but it also caught on fire adn burn down theNation of Poland.

True Story

Honest

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

I've read of accounts of paint fading on a BMW after the liner was removed, and in one case the X-brace under a Ford Focus hood with no liner was apparent on top, after heat faded the paint around the brace. The X-Brace apparently blocked some heat, while the unprotected sheet metal overheated.

One more reason to keep it... if you live in a very hot climate, it may help keep the Sun from adding heat to your engine bay while driving.

In any case, I won't be removing mine, and if it falls off or gets eaten, I'll get another one. I see many reasons to have it, and none to remove it.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read of accounts of paint fading on a BMW after the liner was removed, and in one case the X-brace under a Ford Focus hood with no liner was apparent on top, after heat faded the paint around the brace. The X-Brace apparently blocked some heat, while the unprotected sheet metal overheated.

One more reason to keep it... if you live in a very hot climate, it may help keep the Sun from adding heat to your engine bay while driving.

In any case, I won't be removing mine, and if it falls off or gets eaten, I'll get another one. I see many reasons to have it, and none to remove it.
Finally someone brings forth evidence! I stand corrected! lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Some of the cars don't have an under hood heat pad. My wifes old 2016 R/T Challenger which she bought new,never had an insulation blanket on the hood.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Some of the cars don't have an under hood heat pad. My wifes old 2016 R/T Challenger which she bought new,never had an insulation blanket on the hood.

But did that Challenger have one of those big engine cover type deals?I know sometimes you open up the engine on new cars and all you can see is a big plastic cover. That probably is enough to insulate it.