V6 E fan. Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive been thinking about deleting the clutch fan and doing the e fan conversion.

Is this conversion worth the money? Noticeable gains?

I still have the factory thermostat. Can you adjust the fan yourself with a diablosport or is that something a tuner has to do?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a vehicle that is already knocking on the door of 400hp I don't believe replacing the engine driven fan is going to net you major gains. It's like the ricers who bypass their AC and power steering pump because it puts an extra draw on the engine. If you are looking to mod the engine more heavily in the future or go forced induction then it might be worth your time to have the electric fan. If you're just doing a mild bolt-on build, then no.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Regardless of any minor power gains, real or imaginary, I just liked the room it frees up in front of the motor. I'd do it just for that alone.

And yes, end user can set fan speeds with tuner as far as I know. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. I know I've seen it in the menu on my I2 before.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I'm not sure there's any data on it but it's possible removing the clutch fan could prolong water pump life as well....just speculating?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Agree with the above. Of course their should be some barely measurable amount of power and fuel economy gain, but then you're putting more of a load on the electrical system.

My 2017 Ram has the Pentastar. It's probably been discussed, but I believe the only reason it has an E-fan is because this little engine is so far away from the radiator. I'm shaped like a bratwurst and could still climb in there, there's so much room. LOL.

Xscream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a before and after test and gained 1.3 mpg on the average and Noticed a little more power. How much I don’t know. But the room that was freed up was worth the 107 bucks

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the v6 efan is much quieter and efficient than the ac efan on my 2015 that I've run since i did the clutch fan delete.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Removing the clutch fan DOES pick up a bump in power. Its worth doing even w/ mild bolt ons as long as you have a tune. Also you **** need a V6 efan. The stock A/C fan is all need to cool the truck. I removed my clutch fan 2 yrs ago & have been using the stock A/C fan. Havent had any problems in south Louisiana summers. I also have a 180* t-stat

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Only issue I've heard is if you are towing heavy a lot the e-fan can't keep up as good as the clutch fan.

Again, that's what I've heard. No experience since I haven't tried it. I tow heavy often.

OP
OP
VB712

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Removing the clutch fan DOES pick up a bump in power. Its worth doing even w/ mild bolt ons as long as you have a tune. Also you **** need a V6 efan. The stock A/C fan is all need to cool the truck. I removed my clutch fan 2 yrs ago & have been using the stock A/C fan. Havent had any problems in south Louisiana summers. I also have a 180* t-stat
Just the man I was hoping would reply. Can I adjust fan control myself with the diablosport? I already have a custom tune. Also I was thinking I would be fine with the factory ac fan. Now, I don’t have a 180 thermos so would I still be good with just the ac fan?

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would definitely get a 180* t-stat while pulling the clutch fan off to keep temps down.

Yea you can adjust the fan temps w/ the Diablo. Not sure of what temp it needs to be set for as Jay adjusted mine in the tune but the ability to adjust fan temps is in the hand held

I only tow a 14' utility trailer w/ a zero turn every week or so in the summer so I dont have anything heavy. I havent had any issues even in July & August Louisiana weather but I havent tried to pull a big camper or anything either

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, Gary, should this mod be attempted by those of us unwilling to plop down all that cash for a tuner and PCM to adjust the temps? From what I've been able to gather, us later-model owners are kind of stuck if we want to make this a budget swap. Even if we dump the clutch fan and swap the t-stat, we're still subject to the truck kicking the A/C e-fan when it wants to do so, correct?

The only way I can see around this is to remove the clutch and A/C fans, then add an aftermarket e-fan with an adjustable relay so we can set the temps...that would still involve spending money, but not nearly as much as if we bought the cheapest tuner and paid for a an PCM swap.

I appreciate any clarifications on this subject! The more I research this, the more I'm inclined to leave my fans alone. Heck, if I want to go quick and fast, I'll jump in the wife's Cayenne S!

TXCOMT

Last edited:

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t remove the clutch fan and use the stock V8 Efan if you are towing and going up big hills/mountains. My truck overheated going from Salt Lake to Boise pulling my empty 8.5x16’ enclosed trailer last summer.

If you need to tow then just put the clutch fan back on and your good to go. Been doing that ever since and everything is fine. Definitely worth removing the clutch fan for town driving.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have the 180 thermostat and shutters removed from the grill and still didn’t help enough

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, West...here in North Texas, there aren't many steep grades and I don't hardly tow, so the clutch fan delete may indeed be worth looking into!

TXCOMT

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, Gary, should this mod be attempted by those of us unwilling to plop down all that cash for a tuner and PCM to adjust the temps? From what I've been able to gather, us later-model owners are kind of stuck if we want to make this a budget swap. Even if we dump the clutch fan and swap the t-stat, we're still subject to the truck kicking the A/C e-fan when it wants to do so, correct?

The only way I can see around this is to remove the clutch and A/C fans, then add an aftermarket e-fan with an adjustable relay so we can set the temps...that would still involve spending money, but not nearly as much as if we bought the cheapest tuner and paid for a an PCM swap.

I appreciate any clarifications on this subject! The more I research this, the more I'm inclined to leave my fans alone. Heck, if I want to go quick and fast, I'll jump in the wife's Cayenne S!

TXCOMT

To tune the 15+ Rams isnt that expensive now that Diablo offers the pcm swap now the way that they do. Much cheaper of a tuning option to do the pcm swap. I would use a tuner to adjust the fan set points instead of adding a relay & such but thats just me.
http://www.moes-performance.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=I3-PCM-EXCHANGE

Last edited:

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It vibrated my whole truck inside. Yes it was the Mopar V6 and yes it was bolted in nice and tight. I didn't notice any improvement. But each truck is different. Put my quiet clutch fan back on. Brand new V6 fan sitting here. Come get it. LoL

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It vibrated my whole truck inside. Yes it was the Mopar V6 and yes it was bolted in nice and tight. I didn't notice any improvement. But each truck is different. Put my quiet clutch fan back on. Brand new V6 fan sitting here. Come get it. LoL

Do you know how much time you just saved me? After digging into this mod, I've decided the Ram engineers know a heck of a lot more than me, so I'm leaving well enough alone. My stock fans are staying!

TXCOMT

OP
OP
VB712

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So many mixed reviews here

Remove clutch fan and install 180 thermostat. .. power gain?