Vararam Intake Comparison Dyno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcompany

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im looking strictly for efficiency. The extra power helps though haha

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So, when can I get one for my 6.4L 2500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So would a stock truck see the same gains?

Unlikely, if you think about an engine, it is an air pump. If it can discharge more air than what it can take in or vise-versa then it isn't running efficiently. Also, if the engine computer can't fuel the air flow the engine can't make power.

Since the test truck had headers, the air discharge was optimized. Any improvement in inlet air would make an impact.

namccanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Unlikely, if you think about an engine, it is an air pump. If it can discharge more air than what it can take in or vise-versa then it isn't running efficiently. Also, if the engine computer can't fuel the air flow the engine can't make power.

Since the test truck had headers, the air discharge was optimized. Any improvement in inlet air would make an impact.

You should spend some time reading the reviews by people that actually own these intakes.... and not so much on Wikipedia.... These intakes are proven on our trucks! Bolting it on a stock truck, you will DEFINITELY see and feel a difference! Add a few other bolt-ons and you'll continue to feel gains. Vararam does their research and produces a proven product!

RAMHEMI06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI-5.7
Would the results bs the same on a 3rd Gen (06) truck? I have a Mopar intake on it now and am currently looking for another. I know 4th Gens put out a lot more power and mount different. I have exhaust and that's it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You should spend some time reading the reviews by people that actually own these intakes.... and not so much on Wikipedia.... These intakes are proven on our trucks! Bolting it on a stock truck, you will DEFINITELY see and feel a difference! Add a few other bolt-ons and you'll continue to feel gains. Vararam does their research and produces a proven product!

I form opinions from my own experiences and data, as a back yard engine builder with in daily driver limits and from my 30 plus years as a GM powertrain engineer. I am not sure how to read your comment, I was not challenging the results. I commented that the same dyno results would not be seen on a stock engine compared to an engine with headers. So you disagree with my comment regarding the ability to move air in and out of an engine equally?

I have a 2013 Hemi RAM, this is my first ever purchase of a Chrysler product so I am a bit naive about Hemi bolt-ons and what really works versus the hype.

Please, would you share with me what are the "few other" bolt-ons I can add to excite the butt dyno and what results (honest result) I could expect? Thanks.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

This is true, but if the stock intake is restrictive you will see your gain as you are able to flow more air in. I have had my vararam since December. Before it I could almost keep up with my co worker in his cummins, now I can beat him most days. That right there is proof to me.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I form opinions from my own experiences (30 plus years as a GM powertrain engineer) and not from a single source. So you disagree with my comment regarding the ability to move air in and out of an engine equally?

I have a 2013 Hemi RAM, this is my first ever purchase of a Chrysler product so I am a bit naive about Hemi bolt-ons and what really works versus the hype.

Please, would you share with me what are the "few other" bolt-ons I can add to excite the butt dyno? Thanks.

Off topic a bit but,

You worked for gm for 30 years, what made you wake up one morning and say " you know what i want to drive a ram!" ?

Im glad you finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel :p

namccanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I form opinions from my own experiences and data, as a back yard engine builder with in daily driver limits and from my 30 plus years as a GM powertrain engineer. I am not sure how to read your comment, I was not challenging the results. I commented that the same dyno results would not be seen on a stock engine compared to an engine with headers. So you disagree with my comment regarding the ability to move air in and out of an engine equally?

Please, would you share with me what are the "few other" bolt-ons I can add to excite the butt dyno and what results (honest result) I could expect? Thanks.

I've read a few of ur posts... and u sound like a text book... but ur an engineer, which explains a lot of that....

Anyways, welcome to the forum and I'm glad you seen the light!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Knotts89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was wondering if the vararam intakes will work on the 3rd gen trucks that have tow hooks on them? My truck is a 08 1500 qc with the front tow hooks and I am really wanting one of these intakes but dont really want to loose the tow hooks.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You worked for gm for 30 years, what made you wake up one morning and say " you know what i want to drive a ram!" ?

Yes, why the switch?

I reached 200,000 miles on my 2003 Tahoe and decided it was time for a new truck. My needs changed and I needed a pickup so I could haul small trees (wife and I have a small tree farm) but I still needed an up trim for outages in Rochester, Mi, snootyville :).

I looked at and test drove the new GM pickups but I was unimpressed, not with the truck but with the interior. This is subjective but I am tired of mono-tone gray or black interiors. I didn't like the red back lighting either, just made the truck feel cheap. They could have done better on the seating comfort and the MSRP was bit high for less.

Looked at Ford but didn't care for the chiseled interior look nor the attitude of the Ford dealers I visited. Yep, the F150 is a strong seller but they didn't need the attitude to prove it.

Heard a lot about the new RAMs so I stopped by a dealer and took a look. By now you likely guessed I was more interested in the interior, I believe all of the big three trucks are good so my choice was about the interior, that is where I spend all my time.

I felt very at home in side a Laramie and after the test drive, well, I drove the truck home. Big plus was the truck was made right here in SE Michigan but so is the F150s, not GM's offerings. This means no door dings and scratches when parked (UAW stuff still goes on).

I get employee pricing on all three now that my oldest took a job at Chrysler, he now has two years of power train engineering under his belt. It wasn't about the money, it was about how I felt about the truck. In retirement I still work for a Teri 1 supplier supporting Ford programs. I've had many compliments from Ford guys on my RAM.

I've read a few of ur posts... and u sound like a text book... but ur an engineer, which explains a lot of that....

Anyways, welcome to the forum and I'm glad you seen the light!

Thanks. My wife tells me that all the time. She can't understand why I can't just answer a question, I can't understand why she doesn't understand the answer, and she is a professor at the local college.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I reached 200,000 miles on my 2003 Tahoe and decided it was time for a new truck. My needs changed and I needed a pickup so I could haul small trees (wife and I have a small tree farm) but I still needed an up trim for outages in Rochester, Mi, snootyville :).

I looked at and test drove the new GM pickups but I was unimpressed, not with the truck but with the interior. This is subjective but I am tired of mono-tone gray or black interiors. I didn't like the red back lighting either, just made the truck feel cheap. They could have done better on the seating comfort and the MSRP was bit high for less.

Looked at Ford but didn't care for the chiseled interior look nor the attitude of the Ford dealers I visited. Yep, the F150 is a strong seller but they didn't need the attitude to prove it.

Heard a lot about the new RAMs so I stopped by a dealer and took a look. By now you likely guessed I was more interested in the interior, I believe all of the big three trucks are good so my choice was about the interior, that is where I spend all my time.

I felt very at home in side a Laramie and after the test drive, well, I drove the truck home. Big plus was the truck was made right here in SE Michigan but so is the F150s, not GM's offerings. This means no door dings and scratches when parked (UAW stuff still goes on).

I get employee pricing on all three now that my oldest took a job at Chrysler, he now has two years of power train engineering under his belt. It wasn't about the money, it was about how I felt about the truck. In retirement I still work for a Teri 1 supplier supporting Ford programs. I've had many compliments from Ford guys on my RAM.

Thanks. My wife tells me that all the time. She can't understand why I can't just answer a question, I can't understand why she doesn't understand the answer, and she is a professor at the local college.

You could have just bought a beater, you would have been right at home in Pontiac! I know what you mean about Rochester, I was never upscale enough to live there, just work there.

namccanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was wondering if the vararam intakes will work on the 3rd gen trucks that have tow hooks on them? My truck is a 08 1500 qc with the front tow hooks and I am really wanting one of these intakes but dont really want to loose the tow hooks.

Yes it will work with the hooks.... and I have one for sale currently. The "snorkel" will sit in between the hooks... but you'll definitely want to buy some kind of grill to cover it so you won't suck up any birds or small children.... lol

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are going to make me buy one and dyno stock intake, stock intake diablo tune, intake with stock tune and intake with diablo tune aren't you.

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You guys are going to make me buy one and dyno stock intake, stock intake diablo tune, intake with stock tune and intake with diablo tune aren't you.

That'd be great. We did that a number of times over on LX Forums. Not only with intakes but other mods.

We would get donations from members to help with testing and such. Was pretty sweet.

Knotts89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Namccanna do u have pics of the one that you have for sale and how much are you asking for it?

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Snootyville? I've not heard that expression but totally concur. I live there and can't stand the people around me.
I suppose they all just forgot they put one leg on at a time, like the rest of us.
Ok back on topic - Moe will be receiving my order here shortly, I'm convinced now.
My only other questions would be, can I install a 87mm TB and 14" muffler on my 2014 1500 4x4 Express without lights going off and no tune, along with Vararam?