Vararam vs S&B decision logic??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I read through posts and searched about it and it appears 50/50 on the CAI. I have a 13 CC Sport Hemi with 8 spd. This is my logic on choosing the best CAI for my situation and I wanted to know if I'm correct or missing something.

Putting looks aside and sound...the vararam outshines the S&B on Highway performance but city driving is a toss up. I do mostly city driving, but do take highway trips atleast 1 to 2 times a week (50-100 miles) with the yearly 3500 mile round trip down south & 1200 mile round trip to Myrtle. No offroading, driving through rivers, or snow banks. They both cost around the same and if I'm not mistaken the SB costs more with the optional scoop. Wouldn't it make sense to get the Vararam just for the occassional increased performance on the highway if they are a toss up for city? Now if S&B had better city performance that would be a no brainer but everything I read says no advantage over VR.

Again, looks, sound, etc aside. Not knocking SB cause I really like that CAI but it seems the Vararam is a no brainer unless I'm missing something. I plan on getting the bigger TB and 18" mufflex also, but don't plan any other performance mods in the near future. Maybe a tuner and headers in a few years.

Is my logic off on this??

OP
OP
Doc221

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh & sorry for another CAI post...

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought the vararam, ported tb and 24" magnaflow. All three together make a good difference. Just waiting on a tuner for the 13s

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Logic seems pretty sound to me! If your staying on-road, get the vararam. If you go offroad, get the S&B, as it's built for water, and if needed you can plug the lower holes with the supplied plug. :waytogo:

TXCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I went thru the same thought process, and chose the vararam because overall felt like it would provide better performance for my driving habits, which sound similar to yours. Probably talking a few hp difference on the hwy because of the ram air, nothing huge. I'm happy with it.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
I went for the Vararam for its looks and the amount of space it clears up in the engine bay. I know S&B is supposed to have great fit and finish, but my brother got one for his 2010 Lariat, and he had a hell of a time getting it to fit properly. Also, I park in a gravel lot for work, and that clear window on the S&B would drive me absolutely nuts haha

ramnutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would folks that live in northern climates with snow need to be concerned with the Vararam? Granted, I am in Florida now, but I may be moving north and still trying to decide on a CAI.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Would folks that live in northern climates with snow need to be concerned with the Vararam? Granted, I am in Florida now, but I may be moving north and still trying to decide on a CAI.

I hope not...I just installed mine...what would be the concern with snow?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
Doc221

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I read a previous thread about this and heavy snow conditions shouldn't hurt anything. You may just notice some snow on the front of the filter.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
I read a previous thread about this and heavy snow conditions shouldn't hurt anything. You may just notice some snow on the front of the filter.

Gotcha. I'm crossing my fingers for a ton of snow in NY this year now that I traded my AWD IS250 for my Ram, so I hopefully I get to weigh in on this haha.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The S&B looks like. well, a nicely designed (yawn) CAI.
The Vararam is the guy outside the seedy bar standing beside a WICKED custom chopper, all sleeved out, and dangerous looking LOL
I got the S&B because my wife liked it better and hat was better than nothing. Even with the optional scoop I doubt there is little more than hair difference in performance between the two but the Vararam looks BADASS doing it. Old school greaser style, pure power.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It's your truck--if you're happy with the decison, I'm happy for you! :Sumo:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Both are very nice intakes. Up north, you may get a little snow buildup if you are driving in heavy snow or have that very fine snow blowing sideways with the wind. While driving, it is not an issue as very little of that would be able to get through the filter. I would just pop the hood after a heavy snowstorm and brush off any snow that may be built up around the filter. We have hundreds of Canadian customers running the Vararam without any problems.

If you choose to go with S&B, then you can just plug the lower scoop with the cap that is provided with the kit. This will keep any snow from getting into the airbox.