Very bizarre feeling when surpassing 5k rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mehhh. Probably not a whole lot different then your electric bill for ac lol
I’ll tell you what: my heating bill during winter is twice as much as my cooling bill during summer. My heating is through gas not electric. Dunno if that would make a difference if it were electric too

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll tell you what: my heating bill during winter is twice as much as my cooling bill during summer. My heating is through gas not electric. Dunno if that would make a difference if it were electric too
North carolina? Seems like you would use a heat pump (electric) for heating purposes. Heat pumps even work up here most of the time during the winter (unless its just flat out bitter cold)…i would think they would be perfect for down there.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is stock and I get wheel hop if I floor it

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Rear lower control arms eliminate wheel hop. @Nick@GotExhaust is our go to vendor on this forum for suspension related items like that. The OP has a different issue that is more than wheel hop.

OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

North carolina? Seems like you would use a heat pump (electric) for heating purposes. Heat pumps even work up here most of the time during the winter (unless its just flat out bitter cold)…i would think they would be perfect for down there.
My house was built in 2006 and they used gas. There’s always two schools of thought on whether electric or gas is better.
With gas, well, you use gas to produce the heat so if the current is out you’re still able to produce heat whereas with electric…you guessed it; if your electricity is out you’re screwed. However, it’s an additional expense. Not to mention that it also provides the heat for the water heater. But I typically have an additional $150 billl during winter time for the heater.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My house was built in 2006 and they used gas. There’s always two schools of thought on whether electric or gas is better.
With gas, well, you use gas to produce the heat so if the current is out you’re still able to produce heat whereas with electric…you guessed it; if your electricity is out you’re screwed. However, it’s an additional expense. Not to mention that it also provides the heat for the water heater. But I typically have an additional $150 billl during winter time for the heater.
Your gas furnace wont run without electricity either…just sayin. In our climate around here it seems its kinda a wash on which setup is a cheaper system to operate. But, if the temps get frigid, the heat pumps simply cant really keep up anyway, so gas furnaces are way more common. Down there though, i would think a heat pump would be more common.

Just put some control arms on that sucker already and see if that bizarre feeling goes away.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
So today I was driving home from work and at one point I floored ****** (my 1500) but I had this bizarre feeling that my rear wheels were slightly turning and I felt like my rear end was going to fall apart. I don’t know if it was all in my mind. Anyhow, do you guys think there is something I can do to beef up my steering components and/or my differential compartments.?
I am currently running a 6 inch lift with 22x12.5 on 37x13.5.
Anyone with experience have any feedback?
Unless you put some ladder bars on the diff, it is the springs twisting and the tires walking forward. It could also be bad ujoints. Unless you put a double u-joint cv joint on the driveshaft, it is going to eat u-joints, especially when applying pressure to the system. It could also be the bushing in the tail shaft of the transmission wearing out, causing the driveshaft to wobble....does it leak trans fluid when driving? That s why...............So you are probably thinking if i just wanted to drive it every day, i probably should have left it stock. Having the driveshaft at more than 4 degrees causes a lot of problems. It can destroy transmission, eat u-joints like candy and possible even brake a leaf spring.............But if you have to.....double u-joint cv joint drive shaft just like the one on the front diff. Dodge saw it was a problem and fixed the front.......ladder bars on the rear end will keep the springs from twisting. After you get that far, pull the tail shaft off the transmission and have a trans shop press i a new bushing and seal......do all of that and you will get a couple of years out of it without a problem. But you will eventually have another problem........My bro has a transmission shop. I saw a lifted ram get towed in that the entire tail shaf was ripped off the unit because of the lift kit.............he fixed it and told the customer there is no warentee because it will happen again. Lifted with big tires puts a lot of strain on the drive system. rule of thumb, 35 inch tires needs 4.10 gears. 37 inch 4.56. That is how toy keep the strain off the rest of the drivetrain but is still going to cause problems with the rear diff bearings and wear and tear on the ring and pinion.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unless you put some ladder bars on the diff, it is the springs twisting and the tires walking forward.
Starting with the Gen4 trucks (2009 and newer) the 1500s have a 5 link rear suspension, ladder bars would be a step backwards.

OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you put some ladder bars on the diff, it is the springs twisting and the tires walking forward. It could also be bad ujoints. Unless you put a double u-joint cv joint on the driveshaft, it is going to eat u-joints, especially when applying pressure to the system. It could also be the bushing in the tail shaft of the transmission wearing out, causing the driveshaft to wobble....does it leak trans fluid when driving? That s why...............So you are probably thinking if i just wanted to drive it every day, i probably should have left it stock. Having the driveshaft at more than 4 degrees causes a lot of problems. It can destroy transmission, eat u-joints like candy and possible even brake a leaf spring.............But if you have to.....double u-joint cv joint drive shaft just like the one on the front diff. Dodge saw it was a problem and fixed the front.......ladder bars on the rear end will keep the springs from twisting. After you get that far, pull the tail shaft off the transmission and have a trans shop press i a new bushing and seal......do all of that and you will get a couple of years out of it without a problem. But you will eventually have another problem........My bro has a transmission shop. I saw a lifted ram get towed in that the entire tail shaf was ripped off the unit because of the lift kit.............he fixed it and told the customer there is no warentee because it will happen again. Lifted with big tires puts a lot of strain on the drive system. rule of thumb, 35 inch tires needs 4.10 gears. 37 inch 4.56. That is how toy keep the strain off the rest of the drivetrain but is still going to cause problems with the rear diff bearings and wear and tear on the ring and pinion.
Awesome. Thanks. I’ve been looking at normal wear & tear parts just to keep the truck running smooth. I still drive her like I stole her which in turn has me averaging about 10.5 mpg. I don’t have leaf springs tho. She’s got springs in the back as well.
After driving her more Ive come to realize that it’s nothing that’s broken or anything of the sort but rather the car kind of acting like a truck on 37’s (not very forgiving when you start getting upwards of 50 mph). In any case, thanks for the heads up.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could this be why I’m getting vibration at 70 plus with 4 inch super lift and 275 65 20s or we think it’s a bad tire?
Could be A LOT of different things. Hard to say what it is. But i wouldnt think its your control arms causing it.

OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could this be why I’m getting vibration at 70 plus with 4 inch super lift and 275 65 20s or we think it’s a bad tire?
That sounds like it can be your tires. What kind of tires and how is the tread on them?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Most likely a tire balancing issue. Rotate your tires the vibration should move.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most likely a tire balancing issue. Rotate your tires the vibration should move.
I’ve had them balanced multiple times by tire warehouse where I got the tires. Going to have to dealer look as I have a evap code as well.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I’ve had them balanced multiple times by tire warehouse where I got the tires. Going to have to dealer look as I have a evap code as well.
Yeah but guys that balance Kia wheels all day tend to struggle with truck wheels. “Believe” me most guys find me after visiting 5+ shops/dealers

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah but guys that balance Kia wheels all day tend to struggle with truck wheels. “Believe” me most guys find me after visiting 5+ shops/dealers
I mean I did go to ram dealer but I agree with you. Why don’t you come up here a little north. Tech said its90% better I’ll find out tomorrow when I take 95. I shoulda know better then to fill the truck too to do a smoke test. Maybe I’ll just buy the eSIM and purge and do it myself.