Vibes at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

11Ram0utd00rsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are so many posts but no real answer. I hit 60 and above and the seats shake the center console ect. Oddly around 85 exactly it calms down but only 85 it comes back soon as I go above or below that. This can’t be good for the truck so I need to get it fixed. I’m very mechanically inclines I’ve rebuilt engines and transmissions I do all my own work short of special machines like tire balancing. Truck is stock for the moment it’s a 2011 1500 hemi outdoorsman. I keep hearing about bad driveshafts but I have 180k on the truck would it all the sudden go bad? Or am I looking more at road force balancing the wheels ? Tires have good tread and maybe a year old

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
There are so many posts but no real answer. I hit 60 and above and the seats shake the center console ect. Oddly around 85 exactly it calms down but only 85 it comes back soon as I go above or below that. This can’t be good for the truck so I need to get it fixed. I’m very mechanically inclines I’ve rebuilt engines and transmissions I do all my own work short of special machines like tire balancing. Truck is stock for the moment it’s a 2011 1500 hemi outdoorsman. I keep hearing about bad driveshafts but I have 180k on the truck would it all the sudden go bad? Or am I looking more at road force balancing the wheels ? Tires have good tread and maybe a year old
I'm currently dealing with something similar on my 2016. 70-80 mph is garbage. Been a constant battle for a while now with no answer.

I just had the driveshaft u joints done. They are Spicer 1350. Have a shop do them as you need a pretty good press and torch to get the plastic impregnated ones out. There's also an output shaft bushing the slip yoke rides on that may be wiped out. Tail housing doesn't come off these t cases, at least on my 2016, so check yours for slop.

Try a road force first, and check for runout in tires and wheels. If that is all good and doesn't help, look at driveshaft and t case output. Moving forward I'll keep updates as I try them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Read about similar issues in other posts here and elsewhere. Saw some suggestions such as bad rim, defective wheel bearing, and the issue previously listed here. My own closest analog was a broken belt on a front tire. Did not notice issue until I got up near highway speed and then it would shake and thump a bit. It was a "all of the sudden" moment, like you listed. Good luck.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could check torque converter, just a suggestion. I had this issue twice. First tires, then tranny. Feels like your whole cab is Jerry Lee Lewis at 60MPH!

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Random plug from my buddies suggestion. Possibly warped the rear rotors enough to warrant a high speed shimmy? Thoughts since it seems anything is currently plausible

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Start with the easy stuff, tire balance.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Start with the easy stuff, tire balance.
In my case I've already done tire balance and driveshaft.

Looking at my list of potential sources of the vibration, brake rotors are next on the list, both in cost and condition (stock with ~ 125k)

After that it's new tires.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
In my case I've already done tire balance and driveshaft.

Looking at my list of potential sources of the vibration, brake rotors are next on the list, both in cost and condition (stock with ~ 125k)

After that it's new tires.

Brake rotors won’t cause a vibration just while driving unless they are physically falling apart.

Have you had a road force balance done on your tires?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Brake rotors won’t cause a vibration just while driving unless they are physically falling apart.

Have you had a road force balance done on your tires?
According to the records of where I bring it. My buddy works the sales/service desk and he checked on how they wrote it up and it's put in as road forced. I did however drop it off so this time i cant be 100%. I use OK4wd here in NJ as they are pretty well established in the overland community and is one shop unusually trust to touch my rig. My question is does a road force necessarily spin them fast enough to indicate an issue above 70. They are smooth as silk to about 70 and than garbage till 80+

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That really does sound like a tire issue at those speeds. Most likely a little high on the road force. Would have to know the exact road force numbers to know for sure. The balancer doesn’t spin the tire anywhere near those speeds, but it doesn’t need to. Road force uses a drum to apply against the tire to similar forces as being on the road. A tire can balance just fine but if it has excessive road force there will be a vibration.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
That really does sound like a tire issue at those speeds. Most likely a little high on the road force. Would have to know the exact road force numbers to know for sure. The balancer doesn’t spin the tire anywhere near those speeds, but it doesn’t need to. Road force uses a drum to apply against the tire to similar forces as being on the road. A tire can balance just fine but if it has excessive road force there will be a vibration.
Unfortunately I don't believe they log the numbers. My gut tells me its the tires as well. I'm willing to give them another shot. (The tires that is) but I won't waste too much more time or money on this set. They are goodyear duratracs and I've not had luck with them, especially after they're below 1/2 tread.

I'm not too familiar with acceptable numbers for balancing.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will find that its not that people don't post the cure as most of us never really found a cure that they can say is a cure all . Many of these vibes you have read about can be caused by more than one thing and the vibe is the end result ( harmonics). I personally gave up . I sold the tires that seem to of brought the vibe out and they are fine on the new owners truck . Road force balanced by a number of machines and always came out fine . I put tires on that were 20 lbs lighter per tire and no vibe well past 100 mph.. I changed many parts and had no effect . I still have a couple ideas as to what it may be . 03 Ram before the previous mentioned 2014 had the same vibe and in the end it was a drivers side CV shaft which was cured by accident after poking a hole in the boot . I have seen a new Ram returned to the dealer because it could not be found after slightly bigger tires and leveled he now has a F150 same type of level and same tires no vibe . As you can see their is almost no positive way of finding the case for some of us to post back . most of us came up with a band aid. My present Ram I went by my experience from past as we all dlearn by and went with the same Nittos that stopped the vibe in the 14 and same setting on the Bilsteins that gave the best ride ( for me ) and a small body lift to give me the look I wanted and no vibe . I wish you luck and hope all said and done you are lucky enough to post you found exactly what was causing it . One thing that seems to continue to be consistent is most seem to be like 2013 and newer . What changed in the 13's , the front diff. Could it be the intermediate shafts in the front diff that the CV shaft attach to . The CV shaft has a lot more wobble at that connection than any other vehicle I have tinkered with even new.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
You will find that its not that people don't post the cure as most of us never really found a cure that they can say is a cure all . Many of these vibes you have read about can be caused by more than one thing and the vibe is the end result ( harmonics). I personally gave up . I sold the tires that seem to of brought the vibe out and they are fine on the new owners truck . Road force balanced by a number of machines and always came out fine . I put tires on that were 20 lbs lighter per tire and no vibe well past 100 mph.. I changed many parts and had no effect . I still have a couple ideas as to what it may be . 03 Ram before the previous mentioned 2014 had the same vibe and in the end it was a drivers side CV shaft which was cured by accident after poking a hole in the boot . I have seen a new Ram returned to the dealer because it could not be found after slightly bigger tires and leveled he now has a F150 same type of level and same tires no vibe . As you can see their is almost no positive way of finding the case for some of us to post back . most of us came up with a band aid. My present Ram I went by my experience from past as we all dlearn by and went with the same Nittos that stopped the vibe in the 14 and same setting on the Bilsteins that gave the best ride ( for me ) and a small body lift to give me the look I wanted and no vibe . I wish you luck and hope all said and done you are lucky enough to post you found exactly what was causing it . One thing that seems to continue to be consistent is most seem to be like 2013 and newer . What changed in the 13's , the front diff. Could it be the intermediate shafts in the front diff that the CV shaft attach to . The CV shaft has a lot more wobble at that connection than any other vehicle I have tinkered with even new.
I agree 100%

I'm used to tracking vibes from past vehicles. But none have ever been so mysterious and impossible to solve. I thought the Cvs since they have massive play at the intermediate shafts, but nope. Drive shaft joints, nope. Brand new tires in a more manageable size will be next I suppose.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for those who really would like to get into it as I was really close a couple years ago and have since just about given up as I figured if I encounter that again I will be finished with Ram . But I posted this link before but that was a while ago and maybe some may be a little more interested now. I find it amazing but not cheap and do not understand why Dealerships or real mechanics don't have this in their specialty tools .....watch and watch

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Check the wheels where the balance weights are & see if one or more are missing. It wouldn't be the 1st time I've heard of throwing a weight.

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I keep hearing about bad driveshafts but I have 180k on the truck would it all the sudden go bad? Or am I looking more at road force balancing the wheels ? Tires have good tread and maybe a year old

In my personal experience, Yes, they can all of a sudden go bad. (I'm talking about the driveshaft ujoints). But you can usually hear a clicking sound at low speeds coming from the seized ujoints.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In my personal experience, Yes, they can all of a sudden go bad. (I'm talking about the driveshaft ujoints). But you can usually hear a clicking sound at low speeds coming from the seized ujoints.
Quite often at that point they're easy to spot, there's a lot of rust around the u joint and on the driveshaft yoke. The absence of rust doesn't mean it's good but the presence of rust means it is bad.