Vibes at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Resurrecting this thread a bit...

After 5k miles on a new set of tires, I had a persistent shake at 65 to 75. Thought I was gonna be headed for a long road of grappling with this.

Took the truck back to Discount Tire yesterday to start the "fight" for a fix, guy handed the keys back to me 20 mins later and apologized: 3 out of 4 tires were off. Truck running smoother than ever has at all speeds now.

The NVH app mentioned earlier in this thread looks like a great way to get some insight on persistent vibrations. Good luck to all on any longer fixes.

71Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All,
Unfortunately, this is a huge problem that Ram won't acknowledge. But here is the catch...it doesn't affect every Ram truck out there. Its more of a hit or miss scenario. I have a 2015 Ram 4x4 Laramie. I have been playing this game for over 2 years now (vibration at highway speeds...but its not consistent). I can be doing 75mph with my cruise on and it will ride like a Cadillac, then out of no where it will start vibrating my center console and the seats. I have replaced the tires 3x over 2 years, the drive shaft, axle shafts, rotors and the shocks have all be replaced as well. Tires have been balanced, road forced at many different locations and none of this corrected the problem. The dealer was helpful at first but then it came to a point that they just didn't know what to do next...and this is right at the time my warranty expired. I have forked out so much money already with no solution. I have read countless posts on many different websites and a lot of people are experiencing the same thing I am. I honestly think there is a design flaw somewhere that might be to costly to actually repair via recall. I say this because of all the dealerships out there that have tried to fix this problem...with no success. Its easy to replace tires, drive shafts, axle shafts, rotors and any other components in the driveline. But when the dealer, who is supposed to be the expert when it comes to your vehicle and has direct access to the auto manufactures engineering department for assistance...comes up with nothing...that's a problem. Our trucks are not that old, mine was 3yrs old when I started experiencing vibrations. I have read posts of even newer trucks experiencing the same thing. I read a well written post earlier from a gentleman that went a lot further than I did...as in recreational maintenance (meaning throwing money at replacing everything in hopes you find the problem and don't) and his last sentence went along the lines as...Dodge/FCA wont say there is a vibration problem and that if you have a vibration, your stuck with it.
However, like I said earlier...it doesn't affect every Ram out there. Good friend of mine bought one identical to mine a few months after I bought mine. His truck does not vibrate at highway speeds...or at least is doesn't yet.
If you have a Ram 1500/2500 and it doesn't vibrate at highway speeds then you should consider yourselves lucky. A lot of Ram owners out there...are not so lucky.

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Curious what you're running for tire pressure and how old are your shocks?

71Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck calls for 39 PSI, and I run that. I have also experimented with air pressures all the way down to 34 PSI. I believe the lower pressures may absorb some of the vibration but in my mind...that's not a fix, its just a band-aid. The vibration is still there. My shocks are 4 months old. When I installed them, it made no difference at all. I was really hoping that was the problem.

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck calls for 39 PSI, and I run that. I have also experimented with air pressures all the way down to 34 PSI. I believe the lower pressures may absorb some of the vibration but in my mind...that's not a fix, its just a band-aid. The vibration is still there. My shocks are 4 months old. When I installed them, it made no difference at all. I was really hoping that was the problem.

Tire pressure isn't a band-aid. Over inflated tires, combined with road conditions can have a significant impact on NVH. There are a couple of concrete highways near me that have the worst combination of seam spread combined with my wheelbase to create a unique vibration pattern at certain speeds. This is no fault of the vehicle. You're also running 20" wheels, low profile tires are notorious for transmitting more tire input, contributing to NVH. You running load range E tires too?

Tom6363

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4x4
Engine
6.4/3.73
Random plug from my buddies suggestion. Possibly warped the rear rotors enough to warrant a high speed shimmy? Thoughts since it seems anything is currently plausible

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Just an FYI, when I bought my truck new in 2014 I had a small shake in the front that at freeway speed could be noticed. I took it back to the dealer multiple times without a fix. I lived with it for three years until I changed my brake pads and to my surprise found what looked like a rotor that had been dropped under heat (it had a dent in the rim). Long story short, the pads where getting tapped by the rotor on rotation enough to make the front wheel barely shake until freeway speed.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Just an FYI, when I bought my truck new in 2014 I had a small shake in the front that at freeway speed could be noticed. I took it back to the dealer multiple times without a fix. I lived with it for three years until I changed my brake pads and to my surprise found what looked like a rotor that had been dropped under heat (it had a dent in the rim). Long story short, the pads where getting tapped by the rotor on rotation enough to make the front wheel barely shake until freeway speed.
It's crazy all the variables at play when it comes to NVH on the highway. Add another crazy situation to the list.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

71Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
kmrtnsn
I just read your response and I do agree with you about road surfaces contributing to vibrations. As for the tire pressure, my truck recommends 39psi. Granted, different tires and different applications may require you to run different PSI. When I ran a lower PSI (on any of the tires I have ran) the vibration may have been reduced but it wasn't eliminated. So that is what I meant by a band-aid (Temp fix). Now the first couple years I owned the truck...I ran 39PSI. I tow a lot and do a lot of highway driving...and I got better MPG running 39psi. However, there was no vibrations during this time despite what PSI I ran.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I'm currently dealing with something similar on my 2016. 70-80 mph is garbage. Been a constant battle for a while now with no answer.

I just had the driveshaft u joints done. They are Spicer 1350. Have a shop do them as you need a pretty good press and torch to get the plastic impregnated ones out. There's also an output shaft bushing the slip yoke rides on that may be wiped out. Tail housing doesn't come off these t cases, at least on my 2016, so check yours for slop.

Try a road force first, and check for runout in tires and wheels. If that is all good and doesn't help, look at driveshaft and t case output. Moving forward I'll keep updates as I try them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have a 2016 and get crazy vibes around 70+. I had new tires put on and alignment which they redid since it epwas off again after about 700 miles on the new tires. I give up. I actually took a video of a half full bottle of water Vibrating in the console cup holder so I can show a tech when I take it back in soon.