Water coming from somewhere.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdrice15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nedd some ideas as to where I might have a leak in the cab. I found standing water in the bin under the rear driver side seat. I took the seats out trying to find it and found the carpet towards the door was soaked, the foam under it. Took the back seats out to try and find the leak and couldnt find anything the back covering of the cab was dry and the only wet areas are towards the side. So I first thought it was the door. I went around every door gasket with black rtv and dried everyting. A few days later....more water. This time I went around the rear window and the third brake light with rtv and dried everything. Looked today.....water standing in the bin again. Only thing I can figure is I didnt get the window good enough with the rtv. Its a power sliding and the channel is dry. Any ideas?

sent from my Morphed GS3

Dekman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Its most likely your 3rd brake light, I took mine out and cleaned it up then siliconed it in with new bulbs in it. Most guys use a rubber or closed cell foam. I wanted a guaranteed no leak seal I don't care if I have to cut it later. Dry as a bone now.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
What he said. The 3rd brake lights are known to leak

outlaw52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
that's where mine was leaking....I took it to the dealer and they siliconed the friggin thing. after I had to pry the light off and clean their mess. I fixed it myself
save yourself a headache and fix it yourself.

OP
OP
cdrice15

cdrice15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After putting silicone around the 3rd brake light and the rear window it was still leaking. I think I have it traced the sliding rear window. It wiggles at the top and dosent seem to be snug against the seal where it closes.

sent from my Morphed GS3

slowdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, it is the seals around the sliding rear power window on my 2007 Ram....the seals have shrunk leaving cracks at each corner of the sliding window.

I have not been able to locate a source for new rubber seals and although I have posted requests on this and three other forums in hope that the seals are available somewhere, no one seems to know where to purchase the seals, including the local dealer. Maybe some of the dealer shop guys on the forum can look into this problem....it is effecting a lot of us... If someone could at least tell us who made these windows for Dodge maybe we could source new seals directly from the manufacturer.

So far, the only solution available to everyone with this problem has been to seal the sliding window up with RTV or other sealant and say goodbye to the sliding window...or replace the entire window with a solid backlite.

Right now I have my backlite sealed with Shoe Goo because of all the rain we are getting in the S.E. right now....and Shoe Goo was all I had on hand....

One other thing...there are weep holes for drainage that leads from the sliding window track to the outside. They are simply not large enough to handle my leak, but I did blow mine open (they were clogged) with my air compressor. They are located 6.5 inches in from the lower corners of the backlite....the entire backlite not the sliding window. In other words measure inbound from the lower points of the window (outside) 6.5 inches, make note of that location from inside of the cab (the holes are actually under the sliding window cable so you cannot see them), take an air compressor and blow down past the cable and hopefully you will see debris or water blow out the back of the cab from up under the window. It took me a while to find mine and blow them out, but as soon as I did it was obvious and after that water would indeed slowly drain. I do not know if those weep holes were intended to drain any water that leaks past the seals or simply to drain any water caused by condensation. From the information that I gathered about them they were often plugged by sealant when the windows were installed at the factory. I also read one post where the owner drilled new drain holes....I am not sure I am that good with a drill....but I am about to try that if I do not find new seals.

By the way....these "seals" look just like window Sweeps or Dew Wipes like on the side windows....does anyone know if these are the same??

Keep us posted on your progress!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
cdrice15

cdrice15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally traced it to the sliding rear window. The window had some wiggle to it. Just went ahead and replaced with a solid back glass. Didnt use the slide anyways.

sent from my Morphed GS3

Kmiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 05 is leaking from the top passenger side. I am trying different things to stop it. Right now I have electrical tape on the seams of the windows but it's still leaking. Once it doesn't rain for a week or so I'm going to get some lex-el clear sealant seal all seams. Hope it helps. I put a towel in the inside corner and jammed it in between the window and trim and it catches the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk