Water under the rear seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Morbid611

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I decided to just silicone around my third brake light. Top and sides, not the bottom. I did a real nice clean bead of 100% silicone ( clear ) made sure it was 100% silicone so it will peal off when I have to get back in there. Gonna get some rain the next few days I'll post the outcome. Fingers crossed...

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
So I decided to just silicone around my third brake light. Top and sides, not the bottom. I did a real nice clean bead of 100% silicone ( clear ) made sure it was 100% silicone so it will peal off when I have to get back in there. Gonna get some rain the next few days I'll post the outcome. Fingers crossed...

If you did it right.. You will be fine..

Spray it with a water hose.. I would do that before putting it in rain.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this problem in my 2011 and my current 2013. Pulled the 3rd brake light off, siliconed around it, stuck it back on and problem solved. No issues with water for about a year now.

Morbid611

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you did it right.. You will be fine..

Spray it with a water hose.. I would do that before putting it in rain.

So far so good. Had allot of rain last night and all day today. Didn't get a chance to take a hose to it yet cause the rain came shortly after I siliconed it. I checked every spot were it was coming in from and it was bone dry. Still killed me to take a caulk gun to a brand new Ram but had to get that water to stop coming in. :favorites13:

Morbid611

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After a **** load of rain, I washed the truck and i sprayed the hose on the third brake light and all around the back window its still bone dry inside. And believe me I checked everywhere. So far caulking the brake light was the answer. If i have anymore problems I'll post. Hope this helps people if they come across this thread.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
Wonder if IKE ever figured this out? I had the same exact issue with my truck before I left. I ended up using 100% black silicon from Home depot for a quick fix. I applied the silicone completely around the 3rd light, the rear window and the little channels on the roof at the corners. I hate being 14,000 miles from home, but at least I left the truck in the garage... at least the sealant will have time to set up before I need to it to work lol

krisbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem. Took it to the stealership, they said they sealed the 3rd brake light and it leaked... Back to the stealership, they replaced the 3rd brake light and it leaked... I replaced it with a recon and it leaked.. So fed up I went and bought clear silicone and ran a bead all around the gasket and it leaked. At this point I was ready to throw a 2x4 threw the back window. I notice when replacing the light with the recon the screws had a plastic washer, so i went back to the drawing board and replaced the plastic washers with a thick heavy duty rubber washer and no leaks... smh

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
My only issue with clear anything is that it fades and turns odd colors that is noticable against a colored surface.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My only issue with clear anything is that it fades and turns odd colors that is noticable against a colored surface.

Exactly why I used black..

I do the same thing with my aftermarket headlights and never had problems using black.

apriliaalex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to unclog the holes for the rear window drain tubes and seal the 3rd brake light and that did not stop the leaks. I think the water comes through the rear window seal too fast. Poor design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDHemi16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
apriliaalex if you are looking for a fix, check the cabin vents. They are the vents under the back window between the bed and cab. You have to remove the rear seat to get to them. Take them out caulk and re-install. I did all the other fixes first but this is where mine was leaking from. No more water.

apriliaalex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
apriliaalex if you are looking for a fix, check the cabin vents. They are the vents under the back window between the bed and cab. You have to remove the rear seat to get to them. Take them out caulk and re-install. I did all the other fixes first but this is where mine was leaking from. No more water.

The water is pooling in the storage basins. The basins hold the water and it does not leak under into the metal body of the truck. So it’s not the rear vents. I stripped the truck rear seat area down to the metal last week and pressure washed the rear of the truck until I found the water comes into the rear sliding window seal. Once I discovered that I was able to track down the clogged drain tubes and clean out. It seems crazy to think there’s be clogged a week later but who knows. I plan on checking the drain holes again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
If you haven't fixed this yet, this video might be helpful.

Slapaho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had been struggling with water under the backseat of my 14 Crew Cab for months. I browsed all of the various forums and was convinced that it was that 3rd brake light seal. I replaced that lousy seal with a doubled up kit I found online but I still had water under the seat after the next rain. I finally grabbed a watering can used for watering flowers and poured water over the 3rd brake light, cab seams, sliding rear window etc but saw no water entering from those areas. However I did see water behind the seat. It turns out those cabin exhaust vents behind both seats were leaking like a sieve. These are the one way vents that allow the pressure to escape when you close your doors, run the AC, etc. Both vents were missing the little one way flaps and the rubber seals were cracked. I bought Mopar replacements online for $20 apiece and installed them in less than an hour. I did have to remove the small driver side rear seat but I was able to replace the passenger side vent by reaching under the seat and pulling back the liner enough to get my hand in there. Removing both seats is probably a better idea and you will have to get under the truck to slide the new vents to the hole between the bet and cab. If your Ram is leaking I definitely recommend using the watering can method as it only takes a few minutes but can save hours of frustration and throwing brake light and window seals at the problem.

Damnram17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love my Ram but had the same issue of water behind my back seat for quite a while. Replaced the seal twice on the 3rd brake light but noticed both times that there was no sign of any moisture behind the light nor any staining on my headliner. Took my truck to the dealer and paid them $149 to tell me the back window was leaking and quoted me $600 to pull the window, reseal and re-install so I said no thanks, ordered the replacement “Bodyside Aperture Exhausters” cab vents part number 68323649AB and decided to tackle the job. Took about 90 mins with some air tools and a buddy’s help. Old vents were loose and clearly leaking. Took some finagling to get old vents out and then attached some string to new vents and passed them up between bed and cab while my buddy pulled the string from above. Space between cab and bed on passenger side was a little tight but we were able to get vents aligned and they snapped right in. While we had everything apart I blasted the light, window, and between the cab and bed with a hose for a few mins and zero leaks. Note about vents… there’s a very clear design difference between new and old vents including fewer individual flaps on new vents, a cup/channel on the bottom of inside of new vents obviously designed to channel water back out of the truck if any gets past the flaps, and a much better seal on the outside that compresses when vents are snapped into place. I strongly recommend swapping vents ASAP if you’re getting leaks or even proactively to prevent them. Original vent design is poor at best. Good luck in your water intrusion battle but vents are clearly faulty on these trucks.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had been struggling with water under the backseat of my 14 Crew Cab for months. I browsed all of the various forums and was convinced that it was that 3rd brake light seal. I replaced that lousy seal with a doubled up kit I found online but I still had water under the seat after the next rain. I finally grabbed a watering can used for watering flowers and poured water over the 3rd brake light, cab seams, sliding rear window etc but saw no water entering from those areas. However I did see water behind the seat. It turns out those cabin exhaust vents behind both seats were leaking like a sieve. These are the one way vents that allow the pressure to escape when you close your doors, run the AC, etc. Both vents were missing the little one way flaps and the rubber seals were cracked. I bought Mopar replacements online for $20 apiece and installed them in less than an hour. I did have to remove the small driver side rear seat but I was able to replace the passenger side vent by reaching under the seat and pulling back the liner enough to get my hand in there. Removing both seats is probably a better idea and you will have to get under the truck to slide the new vents to the hole between the bet and cab. If your Ram is leaking I definitely recommend using the watering can method as it only takes a few minutes but can save hours of frustration and throwing brake light and window seals at the problem.

A friend of mine had that same problem. I never heard those leaking until he had his changed.

What is the part number for the mopar replacements?

jerm53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just found water stains on headliner in both upper rear corners of the cab..