Water Stained Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just recently purchased a 2013 Ram 2500 Crew Cab. The truck has been cared for incredibly well. However, I did find one area that is bothering me. Water stains around the bottom of the third brake light in the headliner. Searching the web, I found that the brake light leak problem has been around for years.

Anyone know of a cleaning method?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A lot of detailers have a steam cleaner they use for such things.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently had a similar issue....XM antenna leak. Sealed it up and then used and Blue Coral upholstery cleaner from Orielly's. Fixed it up.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I noticed a faint water leak stain on my 2013 on passenger side, isn't too bad and I already installed a led blacked out 3rd brake light and added a better seal. But I was thinking of using some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and mist the area. On my old class A RV, I had a bad leak, turned the ceiling in the spot almost black, the hydrogen peroxide totally removed the stain with no scrubbing.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just noticed this on both sides in the back. My third break light is stock and the only other thing I can think of is the automatic wash I go and use. Now what are my options do I go to a detailer and have them steam it?

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently had a similar issue....XM antenna leak. Sealed it up and then used and Blue Coral upholstery cleaner from Orielly's. Fixed it up.
Maybe this is my
Problem but I have it in the rear of quad cab on both sides.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would my third break light do it out of nowhere never had an issue till now assuming it’s the high pressure auto wash I have been using?

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could try and removing the 3rd brake light and resealing it. You have nothing to lose.

brad byron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you havent fixed the third breaklight problem, MOFORKIT makes a real good gasket to replace the original. search on amazon for it..............

16Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is an old post but I just went through this. I had a water leak from my sunroof and 3rd brake light. Both produced bad water stains on the headliner. The old guy (owner with 40+ yrs experience) that fixed a water leak from my sunroof told me the best thing he has found to remove water stains on the headliner is Febreze. Yes the air freshener. He said to just spray it on the headliner and scrub with a cloth until it's gone/clean. He showed me and sure enough Febreze Air Freshener got it clean like new. Added bonus was it smelt better in the cab also.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know this is an old post but I just went through this. I had a water leak from my sunroof and 3rd brake light. Both produced bad water stains on the headliner. The old guy (owner with 40+ yrs experience) that fixed a water leak from my sunroof told me the best thing he has found to remove water stains on the headliner is Febreze. Yes the air freshener. He said to just spray it on the headliner and scrub with a cloth until it's gone/clean. He showed me and sure enough Febreze Air Freshener got it clean like new. Added bonus was it smelt better in the cab also.

Gotta admit, that febreze has a certain something to it, like catnip for humans!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Steam clean it is the most effective way. I actually have a small area on mine that I need to address. Give me a couple of hours and I will try something that I have at home and see if it works. On super dirty vehicles I bust this thing out with Shine Supply Solution. Ill try just solution by itself in a little bit and report back.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I just did solution and a microfiber towel. It appears to have worked, but I may need to spot treat it again with Shine Supply Fabric RX. I am taking pictures. Let it dry for a few hours and I will give a full update.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off seal/stop the problem . The gasket on AMZ could be a player or the attach. Your decision.

Cleaning. I suspect to try simple to complex. I.e. rubbing with vinegar, Febreeze etc. up to steam cleaning or paying a detailer.

Our 2015 needed a bulb, we luckily replaced it with OEM parts already on. Watched for leaks. We had none.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.png
    IMG_0329.png
    347.3 KB · Views: 2

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So to update sorry it took a bit. Shine Supply Solution cleaned mine right up. They were dark brown stained.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can I clean my tile grout with this? I might be in the "and much more" category.:)

SIMPLIFY YOUR CLEANING.
Solution is an advanced multi-purpose cleanser that will clean anything it touches. Its pH balanced formula delivers safe and effective results on nearly any surface. Solution can do this because it works by emulsification. This means that instead of “burning” off grime, which is ineffective and unsafe, it actually “loosens” the soiled area ensuring successful results.

Solution is safe and effective on:

leather
vinyl
plastics
tires
wheels
undercarriage
engines
paint
AND MUCH MORE

Dilute Solution with water according to what task your'e performing.

10:1 for light interior cleaning, leather and exterior paint prep.
4:1 for heavy cleaning on vinyl, and plastics.
1:1 for heavy duty cleaning, undercarriage and motor cleaning

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Solution is one of my favorite products for heavy soiled stuff. If its not that bad, then Totally Awesome is my go to there. If I am in a time crunch I will bust out Koch Chemie ASC. It is just not that cost effective.