Weird situation Royal Purple / Amsoil AE filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Is this an old man fight compared to the usual under 25 spats we see on here?

Nah,, I have keep ol Burma on his toes as no one else appears to be able to see through his "Aura"

He does so well with some things, but then says something that's complete bullshorts,,,

Seen it happen over and over and over again on several subjects. I've come to expect it, so that's why I try to keep him on ignore.

But,,, every now and then I'll pop in to see what he's spinning,,,

Yep,,, still doing good some of the time, but just when ya think he's got it on cruise control, cruising along just fine,,,, he'll always take a hard turn off the road / over the cliff / into the canyon,,, Like a you-tube video of some of those crazy ass Russian drivers,,, :roflsquared:

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have used the Fram Ultra and given the numbers it's a good filter. It is however hard to get over the Fram of the past.

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pic

Sigh, nothing wrong with my RP filter that covers the holes at rest. or any other of the tens of filters we seen. Much better flow then Puro. Glad I have what I have, may look elsewhere unless I can get the same in the future.
Could you do us a solid burla and post a pic of one of your RP filters that are not like the ones we've seen on this post it would be awesome

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read

Check this interesting read out from RP
Based on the pictures you have sent us the anti-drainback valve does not appear to be installed backwards. If you look at the image below of a Royal Purple oil filter cross section, you will see that the anti-drainback valve is a much larger diameter than the diameter of the oil filter inlet holes. It seals where the outer diameters meets the contours of the base plate, which is not flat.

Extended Life Oil Filters

If this image does not appear in the email, listed below is a link to our Royal Purple oil filter webpage where you can see this image. The image is on the left hand side of the page.

Synthetic Oil Filters & Extended Life Oil Filters | Royal Purple

If the anti-drainback valve touched and covered the oil filter inlet holes when at rest, it would implead oil filter inlet flow when under pressure. The anti-drainback valve is still perfectly functional with the gap you are seeing as the sealing surfaces is not where the holes are.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple, and have a great day!

Best Regards,

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would if I could Thumperpa, but my camera must be broke I can't get the auto focus or manual focus to work. The adbv goes all the way over the holes but not flush to the back plate. I don't understand how the new valve works, but if there was any flow resistance with the old style then these newer RP filters would have even better flow. It is less important to have this in our filter locations then people who have them in other sideways applications, but I still don't like it. Just another example of people redesigning their product and not explaining anything. Happens all the time and it bugs me every time.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As promised
image_zpswkfjmoib.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Seems to hold
image_zpseievfpre.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So, I've done some side by sides with the Amsoil and Fram Ultra. This is my completely stupid, non scientific three Miller Lite review

The difference in size of the inlet holes is surprising. Fram has Amsoil beat in quantity and size
image_zps4zp8srfa.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Drain back valves are similar it just depends what angle the top is. Dished in or dished out
image_zpsgnaesofs.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

The holes in the Center tube of the Amsoil outnumber the holes of the Ultra. Wondering if this leads to a higher bypass rate
Amsoil
image_zps5eurtkz4.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
Fram
image_zpsilqi3zr7.jpg

Lastly, Fram has a metal sleeve joining the ends of the media, Amsoil appears to be glued
Fram
image_zpsion5q0dg.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
Amsoil
image_zpserckswdt.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So my stupid unscientific answer is the holes in the middle are way more important for flow. I know this because my hemi tick came back with puro synthetic filter even though they also have better inlet holes then rp, when I switched back to RP yup the tick went away. The RP has more inlet holes 8 which is good, but the puro had 6 big ones. As for the center holes, not even close RP had a bunch and puro had only a few. When I choose a filter in the future, whether it be RP or not, I will be looking at the center holes and my second main factor behind synthetic media.

I was really warming up to the idea of running Fram Ultra if not for the lack of center holes. Whoever designed that forgot their common sense. Thanks for tearing those apart and posting them pics bud. To be honest I am disappointed in Amsoil as well, 6 small holes on top, sigh.

Last edited:

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So my stupid unscientific answer is the holes in the middle are way more important for flow. I know this because my hemi tick came back with puro synthetic filter even though they also have better inlet holes then rp, when I switched back to RP yup the tick went away. The RP has more inlet holes 8 which is good, but the puro had 6 big ones. As for the center holes, not even close RP had a bunch and puro had only a few. When I choose a filter in the future, whether it be RP or not, I will be looking at the center holes and my second main factor behind synthetic media.

I was really warming up to the idea of running Fram Ultra if not for the lack of center holes. Whoever designed that forgot their common sense. Thanks for tearing those apart and posting them pics bud.

I cut open a 10-48 as well. Identical to the Amsoil in every way. Both cans were extremely tough to cut.

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Evolution

The ever evolving technology, something works let's make it worse I mean better. So I guess our RP filters are the way they should be and won't harm our motors. I'm going to use the one of the few RP filters I have and send the rest back for a refund and look into other options wix do, maybe fram ultra, or m1 the search will be fun

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It would be nice to see a company address everything in quality. I just don't get it, all of those multi million dollar companies and not one does everything right. Show me any filter and I bet they left something out. Maybe Amsoil and RP know what they are talking about, but try explaining it better so us dummies can understand will ya?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I cut open a 10-48 as well. Identical to the Amsoil in every way. Both cans were extremely tough to cut.

I have 8 holes on my RP, so they lowered the number of holes as well. Who is running **** overthere?

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just heard back from James with Royal Purple , sorry for the screenshots. ... I can't figure out how to copy a link on Tapatalk from my phone .

ae8e7955b8dd3416a2fb2815c85aba16.jpgfcbc8fb448888bd68544381777d18684.jpg

Oops posted out of order

Well guys looks like our RP 10-48 s are fine ! It appears they seal outside the perimeter of the holes on the backside of the faceplate . This would explain the Mopar filter and some others looking the same . Diff design only , looks like we may see both syles from different brands of filters .

Thanks RLK for taking the time to contact RP and relating the info So glad to hear that now I can enjoy my Redline and RP filter . Must admit I was a little worried with only 2500 miles on my truck even though it was super quiet at start up the topic had me concerned .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You run the larger filter correct?
I've heard there was two diff filters , I though someone had a clearance issue with it or something ?
The RP10-48 Seems tiny ..
What's the Royal Purple P/N for the larger filter ?

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
#

I've heard there was two diff filters , I though someone had a clearance issue with it or something ?

It's RP #20-820

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
!

It's nice to see that myself and R.L.K got the same information in our responses from RP, at least they are from two different employees at RP. The person who help me was Cody B. And James helped R.L.K so it's not like they blew us off, I would have felt warmer and fuzzier had they responded with info saying they changed the design because ? Seeing that burla and others have stated that they had 10-48 filters that were different I was really hoping burla would have been able to post a pic of one of his different style 10-48. I'm going to summit this weekend and I'll check out the other # RP filter 20-820 I'll post pics

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

The 13 and newer models run the smaller filter (10-48).

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I heard back from James again with Royal Purple and he had his guys cut a 10-48 apart for us here on the Ram Forum so we could see the way the ADBV is installed on the 10-48 filter !

Below ase some more screenshots of his email and some of the photos. The first photo is a photo of my filter .
Enjoy !
35fdb2feeb54fddc278d84d26c291723.jpg

1dbedcd3c71d2e8e31efcd497b4a5278.jpg0e3fd2b1036a69672487616284157f15.jpge408abc6c62bbabbeaaa2cdff935d2ee.jpg9a53ae9b83a0311eee43f786a35efdbe.jpg17dd66fe89c5dba01de74b72e0034855.jpg

Last edited:

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wow, great customer service. I emailed Amsoil last Friday and still no response.