What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Well this weekend i pulled this back in the shop for one more chance at living...

c839e62398a4a07d8f14105173c2ad45.jpg

If you saw my last post about this thing, it had completely pissed me off to no end and i was ready to scrap it, and the biggest problem i had run into was that the torque converter not fitting into the crank, well i spent last week talking to a trans shop in search of a torque converter that would fit the motor and my trans, long story short i found a guy there who had actually done the same exact swap im doing (putting a Jeep Liberty 3.7 in my ram) well apparently the 03 Liberty had 2 different transmissions and the jeep i got mine from had the different trans.

Apparently dodge put spacers on the back of the crank so that the other trans would fit and the trans shop told me that an air hammer would remove the spacer since it was pressed in...

So here it is

1eabc8ca20e830f41258e592a55204e1.jpg

This simple POS was the cause of half a days worth of headache and many cusswords, but its removed now and we did a bunch of checking and now the trans should have no problem fitting, so next week when my buddies and my schedule match up we are gona stab the trans back in, replace the damaged fuel rail and tighten up all the lose ends and hopefully she will be running and driving!

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That’s great news! It sucks it was a headache but nothing beats a simple solution to an impossible problem!

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
That’s great news! It sucks it was a headache but nothing beats a simple solution to an impossible problem!

very true, so honestly now, it should be all straight and forward getting her together and started, i literally have 2 motors worth of spare parts to get her running and thats not counting the motor in her now, so i have 2 perfect fuel rails laying around and multiple of anything else i need to fix/swap out to make her perfect, so far the engine has been gone through inside and out, new gaskets, cleaned, all new sensors, tensioner, idler, water pump, TB has been gone through and cleaned, so there really isnt much to go wrong with this motor, but if it does, like i said i have plenty of spares :favorites13:

so i need all the prayers that i can get, but the first week of December she should be alive!

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
very true, so honestly now, it should be all straight and forward getting her together and started, i literally have 2 motors worth of spare parts to get her running and thats not counting the motor in her now, so i have 2 perfect fuel rails laying around and multiple of anything else i need to fix/swap out to make her perfect, so far the engine has been gone through inside and out, new gaskets, cleaned, all new sensors, tensioner, idler, water pump, TB has been gone through and cleaned, so there really isnt much to go wrong with this motor, but if it does, like i said i have plenty of spares :favorites13:

so i need all the prayers that i can get, but the first week of December she should be alive!

Good job I’m glad it worked and and yet another single cab is saved from destruction lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Has anyone put a coil spacer on top of a lifting spring?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6

im thinking your ball joints would scream ****** murder untill you ripped their heads off :roflsquared:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Good job I’m glad it worked and and yet another single cab is saved from destruction lol

man trust me, i really hate to see this much time and work that i put into the truck go to waste, 95% of the people call me crazy for putting this much time into the truck but i mean, im a die hard ram guy, i love 3rd gens and even more 3rd gen reg cabs, plus there will never be any doubt i built this truck if this all works out, hell when this is all said and done, ill have "built" this truck more by hand than my blue one, and i have a part in all aspects of that truck lol...

so far in this black truck i have:

Cosmetic

sport bumper conversion
custom shaved and painted grill
black OEM 2014 20s
roll pan
wire in OEM foglights and switch
custom lights
debadge (driver side and tailgate)
painted handles
there is over 20 hours in polishing the drivers side, rear, hood and front of the truck (i need the truck to run so i can do the pass side and be able to move in and out of the garage)

mechanical work

before first motor swap (blown engine)

about 5 hours in diagnostic (tear down of top end and then bottom once i found major damage on top)
new power steering lines
fixed vacuum leaks

2nd motor (first swap)

i had 12 hours in tear down of top end of the motor and cleanup with new gaskets and TB service
replaced all sensors
48 hours in the first motor swap total (2 guys with 24 hours each)
that 48 includes the removal and installation of the new motor, multiple component swaps, few wiring fixes and ultimately finding out that all that work was for nothing because the motor was from an 04 and not compatible with the truck.

so at that time the truck was trailered back to my house where it was pushed back in the garage where i spent the next 8+ months trying to find a compatible motor for my truck that didn't cost more than replacing my entire truck.

so fast forward to where we are now, i have 48 hours in complete tear-down and pretty much a complete rebuild, this motor was completely gone through, all gaskets are new, all sensors are new, water pump is new, tensioner and idler pulley are new, replaced the intake manifold, new plugs, new coils, and of course the engine was cleaned so much that you didnt need gloves to install the motor and not get dirty.

then me and the same friend from last time put in another 24 hours each into this swap only to have it mate up with the trans and to find out the fuel rail is cracked.

the fuel rail is easy and i have 2 of them laying around but the trans was the bigger issue which we got the resolution to last Friday.

next step will be about another half day each from me and my friend buttoning everything up and finally seeing if the ole girl will run...

so needless to say this old girl has been the source of a lot of misery in my life over the last 1.5 years, so she better run now!

I named this truck "Kali" when i got her which is based off a goddess named "the dark one" or "the black one" depending on your source, often the source of destruction, which at the time of me naming this truck i didn't know that this motor that i just installed is at least the 4th motor that has been installed in this truck...

story time over lol, i think i need a drink after realizing how much time has actually been dedicated to this truck...

oh and if you want to put a number of time on this truck, in my area the average cost per hour for mechanic work is $90 an hour, so add that up to what ive listed and then there is still more time in her on top of everything ive listed

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Did the standard routine of driving it. Looked in woe at my effed up bed. Prayed to the car gods that I can get it perfect some day.

Probably gonna clean all of the glass surfaces later.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Did the standard routine of driving it. Looked in woe at my effed up bed. Prayed to the car gods that I can get it perfect some day.

Probably gonna clean all of the glass surfaces later.

what did you do to your bed

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
man trust me, i really hate to see this much time and work that i put into the truck go to waste, 95% of the people call me crazy for putting this much time into the truck but i mean, im a die hard ram guy, i love 3rd gens and even more 3rd gen reg cabs, plus there will never be any doubt i built this truck if this all works out, hell when this is all said and done, ill have "built" this truck more by hand than my blue one, and i have a part in all aspects of that truck lol...

so far in this black truck i have:

Cosmetic

sport bumper conversion

custom shaved and painted grill

black OEM 2014 20s

roll pan

wire in OEM foglights and switch

custom lights

debadge (driver side and tailgate)

painted handles

there is over 20 hours in polishing the drivers side, rear, hood and front of the truck (i need the truck to run so i can do the pass side and be able to move in and out of the garage)

mechanical work

before first motor swap (blown engine)

about 5 hours in diagnostic (tear down of top end and then bottom once i found major damage on top)

new power steering lines

fixed vacuum leaks

2nd motor (first swap)

i had 12 hours in tear down of top end of the motor and cleanup with new gaskets and TB service

replaced all sensors

48 hours in the first motor swap total (2 guys with 24 hours each)

that 48 includes the removal and installation of the new motor, multiple component swaps, few wiring fixes and ultimately finding out that all that work was for nothing because the motor was from an 04 and not compatible with the truck.

so at that time the truck was trailered back to my house where it was pushed back in the garage where i spent the next 8+ months trying to find a compatible motor for my truck that didn't cost more than replacing my entire truck.

so fast forward to where we are now, i have 48 hours in complete tear-down and pretty much a complete rebuild, this motor was completely gone through, all gaskets are new, all sensors are new, water pump is new, tensioner and idler pulley are new, replaced the intake manifold, new plugs, new coils, and of course the engine was cleaned so much that you didnt need gloves to install the motor and not get dirty.

then me and the same friend from last time put in another 24 hours each into this swap only to have it mate up with the trans and to find out the fuel rail is cracked.

the fuel rail is easy and i have 2 of them laying around but the trans was the bigger issue which we got the resolution to last Friday.

next step will be about another half day each from me and my friend buttoning everything up and finally seeing if the ole girl will run...

so needless to say this old girl has been the source of a lot of misery in my life over the last 1.5 years, so she better run now!

I named this truck "Kali" when i got her which is based off a goddess named "the dark one" or "the black one" depending on your source, often the source of destruction, which at the time of me naming this truck i didn't know that this motor that i just installed is at least the 4th motor that has been installed in this truck...

story time over lol, i think i need a drink after realizing how much time has actually been dedicated to this truck...

oh and if you want to put a number of time on this truck, in my area the average cost per hour for mechanic work is $90 an hour, so add that up to what ive listed and then there is still more time in her on top of everything ive listed

Yeah brother that’s a lot of hours in that truck haha precious time I must say lol hopefully at the end here everything will turn out good I’m on the same boat since I’ve had my truck I’ve put in so much hours I wouldn’t want to ever get rid of it and have to restart it all over again lol

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
what did you do to your bed
Took the plastic liner out in prep for a tonneau and found rust and paint problems as well as a couple dents. Gonna have to sand to metal and bedline with herculiner to be satisfied.

Should I prime the metal before the herculiner or no?

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just sand rust down, and scuff up paint. Don't take it to bare metal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Took the plastic liner out in prep for a tonneau and found rust and paint problems as well as a couple dents. Gonna have to sand to metal and bedline with herculiner to be satisfied.

Should I prime the metal before the herculiner or no?

I added a bit of primer to the really bad rusted places when I did mines wouldn’t hurt I say

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L

Chris runs a spacer on the 6” RCX KIT. From what I’ve seen and heard he hasn’t had to much of an issue but he did put in the crossmember drop.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I have a 2wd and the maxtrac kit I have 3 inch springs in it now and I want to go another one or two but if I do that I know my joints are going to get a crazy angle for 2 wd I can’t find anything to help for a lift

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I have a 2wd and the maxtrac kit I have 3 inch springs in it now and I want to go another one or two but if I do that I know my joints are going to get a crazy angle for 2 wd I can’t find anything to help for a lift

lift spindles, get some of those and you can get another 3"

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replaced the EGR in my 4.7. What a ***** that was. Due to it's location, pretty much going at it blind. PITA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk