What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
well for starters the rear of the truck started out higher than the front by about 4", second there isnt a 5/7 drop that will let you tuck a 28" tire, and yes the 5/12 drop is a 5" drop up front and a 12" drop on the rear, the truck has been measured against my black 2003 sitting there and against a few others, the rear of the truck is 1-2" lower than the front, if you look my rear tires are bigger than the front tire to keep it kind of level but the rear of the truck is still 1" +/- lower than the front, the rear drop was achieved with custom drop leafs, a flip kit, and drop shackles.

ill break this down for ya man....

a flip kit will get you a 4" drop in the rear and that includes putting on a extended rear leaf spring shackle (aka: a lift shackle) a flip kit with the OEM shackle will get you a 6" drop, and a flip kit with a drop shackle will get you an 8" drop, which that is what i have, then you have custom leaf springs that get you another 4" so 8+4=12" plain and simple, that plus measuring other trucks confirms it, now if you want to question ride quality, my truck rides like factory, except for the fact that my truck hits the ground through many intersections and parking lots, my truck achieves a factory ride that low because of custom frame and suspension work...

next on the topic of wheels, im running a 275/40/20 on the rear roughly a 28.5" tire, when i ran a 3/5 drip i was running over a 30" tall tire and still had a bunch of wheel well room, the 22s will have lower profile tires on them which yes will remove some of the smooth ride but not enough to be a problem, if you remember i had the 22s modified to fit my truck, so they will tuck better and give me more room for clearance than i have now...

hopefully that helps you understand my suspension and how i got what i did, there was alot of time and money spent to keep this truck "usable" while being extremely low, as it sits, all the cross-members, control arms, gas tank, exhaust, ect. is only 2" off the ground so i have to be extremely careful driving the truck around, but i only drive it a couple times a year and only on roads that i know, even with my current setup being a well engineered as it is, i would never daily a truck this low without it being on air, which ive already started ordering parts for this truck to switch over to air from static low
Hmm. Nice. Through my measurements, the rear rides 3" higher than the front on stock sus. Which is a a 3/5 leaves that 1" of good looking rake for towing and hauling. If you were to do more, I'd suggest 2" of rake, but the 3" it normally has is ridiculous.

Anyway, despite the bigger rear tires, I'm still confused at how level it is. A 5/8 drop would be perfectly level, so 5/12 is starkly Cali-lean, you know?

And another thing. It's only got 2" of ground clearance? I've heard others with 5/7 (or was it 4/6?) drops still have 6" of clearance at the gas tank (lowest part)

How do you go over speed bumps? :anitoof: Lol.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Hmm. Nice. Through my measurements, the rear rides 3" higher than the front on stock sus. Which is a a 3/5 leaves that 1" of good looking rake for towing and hauling. If you were to do more, I'd suggest 2" of rake, but the 3" it normally has is ridiculous.

Anyway, despite the bigger rear tires, I'm still confused at how level it is. A 5/8 drop would be perfectly level, so 5/12 is starkly Cali-lean, you know?

And another thing. It's only got 2" of ground clearance? I've heard others with 5/7 (or was it 4/6?) drops still have 6" of clearance at the gas tank (lowest part)

How do you go over speed bumps? :anitoof: Lol.

05 rams sat different than the 03 did, my dads stock 05 was actually taller up front than my 03 stock, it used to **** me off because at first i wanted to lift my show truck before it was a show truck, also the pix are taken in my driveway which isn't level, so it makes the pic look a bit off, i wouldn't **** ya about my truck, you're my favorite **** man!

oh and for the record, i cannot go over any speed bumps, i made that mistake once and i got high centered really bad

and the reason i did the rear so low vs the front is i planned on doing a bigger wheel in the back like a 20/22 stagger, which i may still wind up doing, but either way the drop is coming off soon and both the show truck and the black truck will get bags, im tired of not driving the truck because im scared to get stuck on pavement lol

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Pictures of the switchback leds. I LOVE the white lights all around!!!
202fcc46f4c986880fbb9f84685c5863.jpg
With turn signals on
f9f4fa7cbe91aff51547369bbf4c6eb5.jpg
Just a good looker lol
794c24163497d4961d5997b43fda00d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks really good!

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
05 rams sat different than the 03 did, my dads stock 05 was actually taller up front than my 03 stock, it used to **** me off because at first i wanted to lift my show truck before it was a show truck, also the pix are taken in my driveway which isn't level, so it makes the pic look a bit off, i wouldn't **** ya about my truck, you're my favorite **** man!

oh and for the record, i cannot go over any speed bumps, i made that mistake once and i got high centered really bad

and the reason i did the rear so low vs the front is i planned on doing a bigger wheel in the back like a 20/22 stagger, which i may still wind up doing, but either way the drop is coming off soon and both the show truck and the black truck will get bags, im tired of not driving the truck because im scared to get stuck on pavement lol
****, lol. Okay. So, are you gonna do more mods to it so you can lay frame or no? How high are you going to set it while you drive? Oh, and, at said height, are the wheels and tires gonna look make it look like a skateboard? ((This is one of my greatest fears in lowering my truck. Being stuck with tires that look to small.))

Btw, I think a 20/22 stagger would be sick. Have exactly the same size tires on both, just two an r20 and two an r22. I'd like to see that for sure. Maybe do a 22/24 stagger for even MORE wheel beauty. :D

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
****, lol. Okay. So, are you gonna do more mods to it so you can lay frame or no? How high are you going to set it while you drive? Oh, and, at said height, are the wheels and tires gonna look make it look like a skateboard? ((This is one of my greatest fears in lowering my truck. Being stuck with tires that look to small.))

Btw, I think a 20/22 stagger would be sick. Have exactly the same size tires on both, just two an r20 and two an r22. I'd like to see that for sure. Maybe do a 22/24 stagger for even MORE wheel beauty. :D

the blue truck will not be modified to lay frame, it will go to where the cross members, tank, exhaust ect. touch down, ride height will be pretty much what it is at right now but have the adjustability to go up when needed, where its at now when cruising is nice, it messes with you though because in the cab when you look out the window you see the ground really close lol, for right now since the place i bought my new wheels from would only sell me 4 matching wheels at a time im going to run my 22s all around, i am going to find 2 of the same rim in 20" though, i will NEVER run a 24 on my blue truck...

the black truck i plan to do whats needed to lay full frame on the ground, its going to be a dragger and a frequent driver, i currently have 24s for it, im not personally a fan of 24" or bigger wheels but i got a killer deal on them and i think they would look good on the truck so we will see

and to add to the stagger situation, i believe the tire sidewall should be the same all the way around, which again is why i did such an aggressive drop on the rear, the front keeping the same sidewall it has would be a pretty good size 22" tire on the rear, so when it comes down to it i may have to actually tub the rear on the blue truck, but we will see how it goes when i cross that bridge

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
the blue truck will not be modified to lay frame, it will go to where the cross members, tank, exhaust ect. touch down, ride height will be pretty much what it is at right now but have the adjustability to go up when needed, where its at now when cruising is nice, it messes with you though because in the cab when you look out the window you see the ground really close lol, for right now since the place i bought my new wheels from would only sell me 4 matching wheels at a time im going to run my 22s all around, i am going to find 2 of the same rim in 20" though, i will NEVER run a 24 on my blue truck...

the black truck i plan to do whats needed to lay full frame on the ground, its going to be a dragger and a frequent driver, i currently have 24s for it, im not personally a fan of 24" or bigger wheels but i got a killer deal on them and i think they would look good on the truck so we will see
Nice. We'll see what I go with wheel/tire wise and drop wise if I don't change trucks first. Thinking 22s. They look right in the wheel wells if the drop is moderate. 20s on 33s feel like 17s on a normal car. Makes you really wanna put 18s-20s on it. (21s-23s would be the full size truck equivalent)

On a side note, I've quickly been turned on to the idea of a stagger wheel diameter with the same profile and width.

Seems like a killer idea for a 2wd, you know? Perhaps a little less for a QCRB, but if i get an 09-10 QCRB I'd likely try to make it a QCSB, which, I feel, would tighten up the wheelbase enough to compensate, and that's even of it DID look funny on a QCRB to begin with.

Hmm. Making me rethink wanting a 4x4. Only issue is that I also want to travel. And snow is a no go zone for a rwd vehicle, especially a truck, despite, supposedly, having a 56/44 weight distribution stock...

Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Nice. We'll see what I go with wheel/tire wise and drop wise if I don't change trucks first. Thinking 22s. They look right in the wheel wells if the drop is moderate. 20s on 33s feel like 17s on a normal car. Makes you really wanna put 18s-20s on it. (21s-23s would be the full size truck equivalent)

On a side note, I've quickly been turned on to the idea of a stagger wheel diameter with the same profile and width. Seems like a killer idea for a 2wd, you know?

same profile and width is a must on a stagger IMO, on your truck you could easily pull off a 22" wheel with the right tire, if you want to just bring the rear of your truck down to level you could put a 31" tire under the truck and have a good aggressive stance

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Would the ride height be different because of coil vs torsion bar suspension?

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
same profile and width is a must on a stagger IMO, on your truck you could easily pull off a 22" wheel with the right tire, if you want to just bring the rear of your truck down to level you could put a 31" tire under the truck and have a good aggressive stance
Lol, added to my post a bit as you were typing that.

As far as your. Suggestion, I was thinking a 32/22 rear and a 30/20 front on a 3"-4" front drop with the rear leveled including the tire difference.

Possible body mods to clear those treads and maybe an extension to 5" front drop with the rear leveled if that'll clear. I don't wanna be TOO low, as I still wanna be able to duck into or out of a steep drive quickly, but I also don't want it looking goofy like the tires being too small for the suspension.

I've considered the idea of putting an extension rim around the edge of the wheel wells to make them a smaller radius and/or more rounded than square-ish.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Would the ride height be different because of coil vs torsion bar suspension?

4x4 trucks always sit higher, but my dads truck was basically the same exact truck as mine, 2wd hemi, just his was an 05 and mine was an 03

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Pretty sure they do. 02s and 03s were torsion front. 04+ was coils and struts in the front from what I read. And a better steering wheel and pcm/tcm, of course.

the struts didnt start till 2006

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
the struts didnt start till 2006
Mine has springs and separate dampeners/shocks. I thought that was coils and struts, and the version where the two were combined was called "coilovers"

Also, you missed a post of mine and my addition to the other one. Then again, its kinda hectic right now. With 4 convos between 3 people and a pm thread, too.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
all the 02-05 1500 2wd rams were coils and separate shocks that i can confirm, 06+ 2wd i think they went to the struts/coilovers, ill have to verify, my 06 and 08 3/4 ton are springs and separate shocks.

a part of me wants to say that they had independent springs and coils on all 1500 2wd rams in the 3rd gens but ill have to verify with some of my other documents for confirmation

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
ok i just looked up a 2006 ram 1500 2wd and no torsion bars and no coilover/struts, so the 1500s appear to have the same style setup for all 2wd rams

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I'm still having a misfire. No codes but the RPMs will flutter here and there and I'm getting a popping out of the intake. Thinking Crankshaft Position Sensor might be the culprit. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Here is my show truck before it was ever close to show status with a 31" tire and a level kit

e00f0438b54a709328e6f877b5f025ec.jpg
Lol, added to my post a bit as you were typing that. Is that a front level(lift) or rear level (shackle)?

This is what you missed

Seems like a killer idea for a 2wd, you know? Perhaps a little less for a QCRB, but if i get an 09-10 QCRB I'd likely try to make it a QCSB, which, I feel, would tighten up the wheelbase enough to compensate, and that's even of it DID look funny on a QCRB to begin with.

Hmm. Making me rethink wanting a 4x4. Only issue is that I also want to travel. And snow is a no go zone for a rwd vehicle, especially a truck, despite these ones, supposedly, having a 56F/44R weight distribution stock...

As far as your suggestion, I was thinking a 32/22 rear and a 30/20 front on a 3"-4" front drop with the rear leveled including the tire difference.

Possible body mods to clear those treads and maybe an extension to 5" front drop with the rear leveled if that'll clear.

I don't wanna be TOO low, as I still wanna be able to duck into or out of a steep drives quickly, but I also don't want it looking goofy like the tires being too small for the suspension.

At the same time, I don't want to have to cut into the bed for a c-notch, so however low I can get with how ever big a c-notch will clear without bed mods while not bottoming out the suspension harshly will be where I likely stop if it fits the other criteria.

I've considered the idea of putting an extension rim around the edge of the wheel wells to make them a smaller radius and/or more rounded than square-ish so they hug the tires' diameter closer and give a nicer fitment.