What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
left my door spears on.....need the protection from errant humans and their shopping spree's.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Its been spring here for a while already, you live in the wrong area - LOL

Yup almost no snow this year & awesome weather for winter, I think the mildest winter I ever had.

Well my heart is bleeding that the snow is almost all gone as we barely had any as well, and since I ski a lot, this season was one of the worst for the sport in the last 20 years... Instead of just grinding and whining that the snow is gone I am just turning over to the nice lukewarm weather to come...

What? Just because there's no splines left? There's nothing wrong with that.

LOL :crazy:

left my door spears on.....need the protection from errant humans and their shopping spree's.

I hear you on this one... Just not quite sure yet... May depend on whether it makes the paint job more awkward or not...

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Noticed that the truck was handling a little bit goofy, so I got under it to see if anything obvious was wrong. Oh boy was there something obvious. Maybe Belltech should use steel instead of aluminum on these.

Something went horribly wrong here...
Almost looks like the nuts were not torqued enough allowing the part to wiggle around until the hooks actually gave up from all the torsion... If that is the case, not quite sure steel would have been much better. It may have last a little longer but would have eventually failed as well.

Then again, this is just a theory! (I'm definitely not an engineer)

Last edited:

hdbiker1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Installed new electric seat motor for rear tilt. Also installed front shock extension because of shock topping out after leveling. Next I have to clear the drain for the rear sliding window.

Notthatlow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well in the last month I replaced the motor, reservoir bottle, thermostat housing, thermostat, oil lol, dipstick, tag and title, flushed the radiator a hand full of times and no telling what else lol its finally driveable now though!!!!!

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Got it back from the shop yesterday.
There was a faded spot on the truck for a while, almost looked like someone took sandpaper to it and felt like that too. the shine was gone. I used turtle wax polishing compound about 10-15 times and it finally looks shiny again and feels smooth. Took the steps off earlier. Looks way better now. The white spot on the bed is while the polish was still on it.
d3a2fe130b6440e4bd5122061b82174b.jpg
dd73f5fc716c43004f5d0091476a86bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can you see what's wrong???

picture.php

picture.php

Oh and by the way the rear and front wheels are currently parallel to the sidewalk and the front wheel is on the pavement... :eek: :mfr_omg:

Thank's to my nice hometown for having streets that look like a friggin exploded minefield...

I'm in a tight spot money wise so I found a pair in a local salvage yard for 150$... too bad I can't spare the $$ and time to install a flip kit while under there...

Last edited:

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
& ive been cutting vinyl today = did not have enough & one of them screwed up & messed one other up.

When it gets warmer, I will put on what I have.

& yes when you gloat about nice weather, it turns colder & snow = does not accumulate. So Not so bad.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something went horribly wrong here...
Almost looks like the nuts were not torqued enough allowing the part to wiggle around until the hooks actually gave up from all the torsion... If that is the case, not quite sure steel would have been much better. It may have last a little longer but would have eventually failed as well.

Then again, this is just a theory! (I'm definitely not an engineer)

They were both actually still torqued properly on the pieces that were left. The one side was shattered into 3 pieces around the bolt, but the pieces were still bolted on. The other side (the one in the pictures where it looks like it was moving around) likely looks like that because it obviously got beat on for quite a while, but that was the side still holding the bushing on the truck. I actually bent it as bad as it is by grabbing it and twisting it on the nut before I gave up and grabbed a socket.

What makes it worse is that that stud (the one still holding the bushing and crossbar on) broke when I tried to take the nut loose. So I had to go find a stud that would fit and thread it down between the spring to get it in there.

After comparing the stocker to the Belltech, I think part of the problem is that the aluminum mounting bars are actually hollow. There's space in between and they're still not as thick as the stock crossbar. I have the thinnest bumpstops on the front that I could find and there's no marks where they have contacted the control arms at all. So it appears that the shocks will bottom out before the bumpstops and I must have hit them really hard, which stressed the thin aluminum and it gave way. Not the shock's fault at all, because they're not really designed to have to take that type of abuse. I have ordered some thicker bumpstops and filed a warranty claim on the bushing. I really don't know if they'll warranty it, but I have no problems buying a new bushing and crossbar and will have no hard feelings if they turn down the warranty claim.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They were both actually still torqued properly on the pieces that were left. ... I have the thinnest bumpstops on the front that I could find and there's no marks where they have contacted the control arms at all. ...

Might not be a bad idea to find a slightly thicker bump stop, or shave a thicker one to the proper size so the shocks don't bottom out...

Just saying...

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Might not be a bad idea to find a slightly thicker bump stop, or shave a thicker one to the proper size so the shocks don't bottom out...

Just saying...

They were both actually still torqued properly on the pieces that were left. The one side was shattered into 3 pieces around the bolt, but the pieces were still bolted on. The other side (the one in the pictures where it looks like it was moving around) likely looks like that because it obviously got beat on for quite a while, but that was the side still holding the bushing on the truck. I actually bent it as bad as it is by grabbing it and twisting it on the nut before I gave up and grabbed a socket.

What makes it worse is that that stud (the one still holding the bushing and crossbar on) broke when I tried to take the nut loose. So I had to go find a stud that would fit and thread it down between the spring to get it in there.

After comparing the stocker to the Belltech, I think part of the problem is that the aluminum mounting bars are actually hollow. There's space in between and they're still not as thick as the stock crossbar. I have the thinnest bumpstops on the front that I could find and there's no marks where they have contacted the control arms at all. So it appears that the shocks will bottom out before the bumpstops and I must have hit them really hard, which stressed the thin aluminum and it gave way. Not the shock's fault at all, because they're not really designed to have to take that type of abuse. I have ordered some thicker bumpstops and filed a warranty claim on the bushing. I really don't know if they'll warranty it, but I have no problems buying a new bushing and crossbar and will have no hard feelings if they turn down the warranty claim.

Im chiming in late, but is the shock short enough for the drop you have on the truck???