What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
blueish smoke on start up is prolly valve guides...not a big deal.......just annoying. To do a proper guide job the heads need pulled and a new head gasket anyways....valve guides and valve seating should be done together imo.
Thanks, can head gaskets be done without machining the block?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Thanks, can head gaskets be done without machining the block?

sure, but why take the chance....a machined head is insurance when ya throw it back togather........if ya take it down that far you get it all done or don't do it at all..

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
sure, but why take the chance....a machined head is insurance when ya throw it back togather........if ya take it down that far you get it all done or don't do it at all..
Well money is the why, don't have it to throw at it, I was just thinking added insurance of doing it and manifold gaskets to keep it running good, thought if I'm right there with the manifold might as well hit the heads too.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Well money is the why, don't have it to throw at it, I was just thinking added insurance of doing it and manifold gaskets to keep it running good, thought if I'm right there with the manifold might as well hit the heads too.

no one says ya can't do it your self...all you need is a rubber dart and some valve solvent... (I don't remember the actual term). The main thing is to have the valves seated in the head....assuming the head(s) are themselves in good shape . That only happens at a place that can have them micro-blued.......but thats not expensive........engine work is cheap if ya know what you are doing. I used to but now I'm fat and lazy.......well fat anyways,lol.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
no one says ya can't do it your self...all you need is a rubber dart and some valve solvent... (I don't remember the actual term). The main thing is to have the valves seated in the head....assuming the head(s) are themselves in good shape . That only happens at a place that can have them micro-blued.......but thats not expensive........engine work is cheap if ya know what you are doing. I used to but now I'm fat and lazy.......well fat anyways,lol.
Been there with ya on the weight issue brother but, I got smart and started making better decisions on eating and take my vitamins everyday and lost 30 lbs in 3 months without exercise,

what i was saying about money was towards the machining part, having the block and heads done, would i be wrong to assume the shop would rebuild the heads? Not just machine them assembled so shavings can get inside everything.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Been there with ya on the weight issue brother but, I got smart and started making better decisions on eating and take my vitamins everyday and lost 30 lbs in 3 months without exercise,

what i was saying about money was towards the machining part, having the block and heads done, would i be wrong to assume the shop would rebuild the heads? Not just machine them assembled so shavings can get inside everything.

back in the day I bought a newly refurbished head for a hundred and a quarter. any shop worth their saltwill have the head(s) in immaculate shape.....I wouldn't think twice about shavings.. quick inspection as for the valve guides ,rockers and push rods....they should have been bathed and dried before reassembly. what are refurbs going for these days anyways??

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
back in the day I bought a newly refurbished head for a hundred and a quarter. any shop worth their saltwill have the head(s) in immaculate shape.....I wouldn't think twice about shavings.. quick inspection as for the valve guides ,rockers and push rods....they should have been bathed and dried before reassembly. what are refurbs going for these days anyways??
Not bad, there's a performance engine shop not too far from me wonder what they would charge? Or maybe even diagnostics and go from there.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Not bad, there's a performance engine shop not too far from me wonder what they would charge? Or maybe even diagnostics and go from there.

good start. hey we know it's running, just keep an eye on the oil, add some motorkote, or marvel mystery oil(s)...ad save up.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
good start. hey we know it's running, just keep an eye on the oil, add some motorkote, or marvel mystery oil(s)...ad save up.
It didn't run, but wondering if it was all the rain, gonna try it today after I get home it's been dry for a couple days, ya I watch the oil cause it was using some but like the coolant it has slowed a bit.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Just tried it, started right up, a 2 sec stumble at first start but then ran great like it never had a problem, intake gaskets sucking water in?

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered some paint and a set of mini-H1 projectors. I have 2 extra sets of headlights, so why not try something different with them?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I ordered some paint and a set of mini-H1 projectors. I have 2 extra sets of headlights, so why not try something different with them?

Get on it! If it all works out you wont ever want to go back to a non retrofitted light

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bullitt keep me posted on the progress will ya? I'm planning on doing this soon and would love to see how they turn out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Demons lights made me slightly jealous lol

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Demons lights made me slightly jealous lol

lol ive had brighter too :roflsquared:

i did the FXR projector retrofit a very long time ago when it first came out and it puts the MH1 projector to shame, i miss that retrofit but it was a pain to build since that retrofit is 100% a full custom build vs the MH1 being easy to install

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
Question for y'all is road force balancing worth the extra money? Need to balance the 35s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is road force balancing lol. I've heard of it, but don't know