What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I stuck mine under a shop light and got it hot enough I couldn't touch it without gloves. Definitely makes install easier...

Ares_288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Magnum
Today was an oil change and cleaning the throttle body(I think I might make a thread with pics). Swapped to a new oil drain plug also. Then gave Gunk engine cleaner and some Gunk engine shine a try today. Immediate results look good. I'll have to look in the morning to see if the results actually keep up.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I so wish for a good snow storm... I'm jealous... Really...

Our ski resorts are on ice because of the warm Christmas weather and barely any snow falls since then... I hate skiing on ice.

one of the scariest things on earth, is cutting a corner ,then hearing that teeth chattering clatter of ice under the ski's

fires-out

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 HD
Engine
6.4 Hemi
getting it ready an loaded up to go back to work.

Attachments

• 20150128_091148.jpg
    20150128_091148.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 37

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove it through some snow to and from work.
What a beast! :favorites13:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I got a new floor jack!! Whoopi.... a jack is important with a lowered truck lol....

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Installed a SONNAX Performance Line Pressure Booster on my 545RFE trans. today.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Front differential oil change, Gear and half shaft inspection, U-Joint greasing.
Upstream O2 Sensor replacement.
Wanted to do a Transfer case oil change but the fill plug is seized in the threads and is now stipped... Will get a replacement plug and then will get back to try and force it out of there... Zip gun, welding on a stud or any other method than I will figure out at the time... ;)

Thank god I was knowing enough to try and open the fill plug before I dumped the old fluid out...

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Front differential oil change, Gear and half shaft inspection, U-Joint greasing.
Upstream O2 Sensor replacement.
Wanted to do a Transfer case oil change but the fill plug is seized in the threads and is now stipped... Will get a replacement plug and then will get back to try and force it out of there... Zip gun, welding on a stud or any other method than I will figure out at the time... ;)

Thank god I was knowing enough to try and open the fill plug before I dumped the old fluid out...

two things that work good grind a extension flat on bottom pound the plug with a sledge to mushroom it inwards drive the extension in with a 5lb sledge to seat it in the bottom then hit it with an impact. if that does not work try using a threaded pipe removal tool

trapahollic92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Debaged

Debaged the Ram 1500 from the sides. going to remove the tail gait badges tomorrow. QUESTION????? Should i remove the 4x4 decal or leave it? Would appreciate any input.

trapahollic92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
picture.php

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Debaged the Ram 1500 from the sides. going to remove the tail gait badges tomorrow. QUESTION????? Should i remove the 4x4 decal or leave it? Would appreciate any input.

It's a personal choice. I plan on removing everything. And there is a lot of it.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
two things that work good grind a extension flat on bottom pound the plug with a sledge to mushroom it inwards drive the extension in with a 5lb sledge to seat it in the bottom then hit it with an impact. if that does not work try using a threaded pipe removal tool

The plugs are Hex... Otherwise I would have already tried the trick you mention...
I had a Torx drive that was slightly larger than the 10mm Hex of the bolt and I hammered it in and the plug did not budge a yota... One of the guys back at the DIY garage suggested I try and get it out with a zip gun but I want to have a replacement plug before we attempt this I don't mind shattering the plug out of there but want to be able to reclose afterwards.

One question I have is the following: There is a note on the casing not to use an impact on the plug. If I start hammering something in the plug what are the risk that the aluminum casing could shatter and break?

Thank's for the tip.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The plugs are Hex... Otherwise I would have already tried the trick you mention...
I had a Torx drive that was slightly larger than the 10mm Hex of the bolt and I hammered it in and the plug did not budge a yota... One of the guys back at the DIY garage suggested I try and get it out with a zip gun but I want to have a replacement plug before we attempt this I don't mind shattering the plug out of there but want to be able to reclose afterwards.

One question I have is the following: There is a note on the casing not to use an impact on the plug. If I start hammering something in the plug what are the risk that the aluminum casing could shatter and break?

Thank's for the tip.

I personally would not hammer on a transfer case. I would, and have drilled out a stripped plug, and replaced the plug with a hex head bolt (It was for my jeep wrangler, and I got a cherokee bolt to replace the plug).

I have had apart the NP231 TC several times (Installed a slip yoke eliminator on a few of them, and a 4:1 low range on mine), the aluminum was very thin... I just assume they are similar for these 1/2 ton pickups.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
One of the guys back at the DIY garage suggested I try and get it out with a zip gun

I must have came up in a different neighborhood.... lol

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thank's for the tip.

never use an impact or air ratchet to install because it will drive it right through always put anti seize or thread tape on it when installing it. Is the plug steel or aluminium too ? I think you should try using a pipe thread extractor on it you may need to drill out the hex to a circle. As for an impact to remove it (this is why hammer impact drivers work good for removing screws down force and shock) should not be a problem and its the jarring force of the impact that will break it free brute force will only slowly distort the plug. next step is drilling it through and using a screw type extractor not the square type. last resort is drilling out the plug and installing a helicoil thread set.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
My old jack (cheap) had become more trouble than it was worth. I could jack it up but it wouldn't release to let it down. The little star wheel just spins. It's going the dump....
Got the Hoosiers today, but I'm not feeling well. I'll mount then tomorrow... Vertigo sucks...

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
My old jack (cheap) had become more trouble than it was worth. I could jack it up but it wouldn't release to let it down. The little star wheel just spins. It's going the dump....
Got the Hoosiers today, but I'm not feeling well. I'll mount then tomorrow... Vertigo sucks...

I have a scrap pile that my old one went to.....I replaced mine with a advance auto special they were having during the holiday season......scored a 3 ton jack w/handle for 24 bucks.
On the vertigo, I have another forum buddy (harley davidson), he came down with it before a ''ride'' to N.H. last riding season....been sidelined off the bike ever since he says meds keep it check......but well you already know the ''but''.
My sincere sympathy Greg.:favorites13: