What is this on my chrome bumper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigkevfann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
This discoloration was not on the bumper when I took it from the dealership a few weeks ago, so I know it happened on my watch. It is along the back pumper as if something ran out of the bed. I haven't hauled anything that would have done this. I have tried all the basic auto cleaners to get it off and nothing has worked. I did use some wd40 and goof off on an ugly stubborn tailgate sticker... But I cleaned it off quickly. But the discoloration is on both sides, and on the wrap around. The sticker work was only over one corner so it doesn't make sense that it would have been caused by that. Any ideas on what will rest20180510_183902.jpg 20180510_183929.jpg ore the chrome, or should I just live with it?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Dollar tree. Get a bottle of awesome. Yellow color liquid

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It may be something that the dealership put on the rubber step at the top of your bumper and it either got wet and "ran" onto the chrome or something else was spilled on the bumper. Try a chrome cleaner called "Blue Away". You can buy it at Amazon.
Jay

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This discoloration was not on the bumper when I took it from the dealership a few weeks ago, so I know it happened on my watch. It is along the back pumper as if something ran out of the bed. I haven't hauled anything that would have done this. I have tried all the basic auto cleaners to get it off and nothing has worked. I did use some wd40 and goof off on an ugly stubborn tailgate sticker... But I cleaned it off quickly. But the discoloration is on both sides, and on the wrap around. The sticker work was only over one corner so it doesn't make sense that it would have been caused by that. Any ideas on what will restView attachment 127992 View attachment 127993 ore the chrome, or should I just live with it?

It looks like someone may have used a power washer at your dealership and used to much soap and blew it up under the black plastic bumper covers and now its bleeding out from under the plastic covers while your driving down the highway. A good chrome cleaner (Mothers Chrome Polish) should take it right off. You can get Mothers chrome polish at any local wal-mart or auto supply store in your area.

Schlotzky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If liquid cleaners don't do the trick, you need something abrasive. Any automotive paint/chrome polish should do the trick. Probably even a magic eraser.

OP
OP
B

bigkevfann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks for the info. I will try those options. When it didn't budge one bit with the usual cleaners, I assumed it was permanent. I haven't tried anything abrasive.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
When you get it cleaned off take a clay bar with the detailer spray and clay bar the chrome it’ll make it so much smoother and really make it shine

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)