what should I expect to pay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hutchjoecraft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I need to do the plenum reinforcement kit. I go through oil but can't find it leaking. What should I expect to pay to have it done?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Depending on your local shop rates $4-700 would be in the ball park. Depends on what quality parts and how thorough they are. And how you want the plenum fixed. New gasket or new plate and gasket

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Hey rowdy what's a good estimate for the time it'll take me to do mine this weekend? Starting Friday night around 6:30 and working til 11 then all day Saturday. That enough time?

OP
OP
H

hutchjoecraft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well luckily enough for me I found someone selling a 5.9 with 148000 for 300! Same guy I bought my truck from. He is also willing to install it for another 150!!! 5.2 going bye bye!

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Hey rowdy what's a good estimate for the time it'll take me to do mine this weekend? Starting Friday night around 6:30 and working til 11 then all day Saturday. That enough time?
I would think so, it depends on your skill level and what tools you have available. I did mine and replaced the timing chain and valve covers in a half day at work with air tools.
But its best to not rush. I think driveway job time is probably 5-6 hours. Make sure to change your oil when done.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think so, it depends on your skill level and what tools you have available. I did mine and replaced the timing chain and valve covers in a half day at work with air tools.
But its best to not rush. I think driveway job time is probably 5-6 hours. Make sure to change your oil when done.

Just curious why?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I'm assuming your asking why change the oil? Because even though you drain the coolant before removing the intake there's is quite a bit of coolant that will drain straight into the crankcase once you loosen the intake and it will usually drain out when you lift the intake at an angle.
Most don't do this is why I said it. After a timing cover or intake this should always be done.
Once your done drain the oil, water is heavier and will come out first. Most of the time you'll see it run green for a second or two.
The other thing I do, lay rags in the valley while cleaning the head surfaces to catch the debris then carefully lift it out then use 1 qt clean oil to was the coolant and small debris into the pan.uploadfromtaptalk1427260496204.jpg

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gotcha makes sense was just wondering because im probably going to do the plenum gasket in the next few months and ive still got a fresh oil change in there with less than 300 miles right now but im about to put 1300 on it.