What years would you recommend for a 2nd gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
May I ask why a 2nd gen?

Because there are a lot of us that like that body style.....

V10, yeah, basically a big block, gets 10 mpg loaded or unloaded. Manual trucks can get to 14 mpg when driven right

OP
OP
A

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
Thats cause most think the v10's are junk..

But the or OP, Gas or Diesel
If gas then later year models have better interiors and fitment.
If diesel the earlier 12valves are great easy and cheap to modify
later 2nd gen diesels with the vp44 pumped 24valves aren't bad either but run computers.

May I ask why a 2nd gen?

Sure, Prices are in the 1500-5000 range Body style is pretty nice. The magnum engines are a proven design (although not efficient) Easier to work on. Ford's in the same year and price range tend to shoot spark plugs out the head, Chevy owners seem to think very highly of them when selling $$$
almost as much as toyota owners although i think toyota owners are justified.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious, knowing your taste and reason why a 2nd gen helps give advice.

But with all that I'd go with the later years especially the OBD2 equipped trucks. Fit and finish is a little better and options were a little better imo in the 99-02's I'm not to familiar with the 5.9L gas motors as all the rams I have owned or worked on were all diesels.

But LMC truck parts has a tone of inexpensive parts for these years so they make a good base for a project play truck

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Just curious, knowing your taste and reason why a 2nd gen helps give advice.

But with all that I'd go with the later years especially the OBD2 equipped trucks. Fit and finish is a little better and options were a little better imo in the 99-02's I'm not to familiar with the 5.9L gas motors as all the rams I have owned or worked on were all diesels.

But LMC truck parts has a tone of inexpensive parts for these years so they make a good base for a project play truck

:roflsquared: :lol: Said no one ever :happy175: :rofl:

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I wouldn't go that far. lol

LMC just has everything all in one place. If you're willing to do the legwork, you can get the same parts much cheaper.
agreed. Its a pain to find some things/iffy websites that you might not want to give your number out to lol

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
Thanks guys, i am curious why dodge stuck with a trans that you still had to adjust the bands in compared to the other manufacturers?

OP
OP
A

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
It was a good move by Dodge

Could you elaborate? Of course i hear of horror stories about people being on their 3rd transmission and the service interveral being 20-30k for flush and adjust bands

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
All OEMs in the 90s had a 30k interval. Just something you do when you change the spark plugs. lol

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was being kinda sarcastic haha I've heard it's good for a maintenance so the transmission is operating good, also heard tho adjusting bands can destroy a trans too. Gotta have a professional do it or know what you're doing.

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wa seeing kinda sarcastic haha I've heard it's good for a maintenance so the transmission is operating good, also heard tho adjusting bands can destroy a trans too. Gotta have a professional do it or know what you're doing.

Anytime a trans is involved a pro is always the right choice...

but I think there are alot of aftermarket support that can build up them trans to be bullet proof.

OP
OP
A

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
Anytime a trans is involved a pro is always the right choice...

but I think there are alot of aftermarket support that can build up them trans to be bullet proof.

Yeah but adjustments should be able to be made by your common owner. I wouldnt buy an older truck if i didnt think i was capable of doing an equal or better job at anything not requiring major machining.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most guys, and I don't mean this in a **** way, but most do not have the knowledge needed to adjust things like the tranny right and cause more damage than they help it. is why I give that advice.. If you know how to adjust it then your a step ahead.

Ive built a few older ford trans, but adjusting them bands still scares me cause I'm not sure of my adjustment if its too much or too little etc. I still take it to my buddy who runs a transmission shop. mostly cause I'm not confident in my trans adjusting ability. I'll stick to engine building and fabrication.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wa seeing kinda sarcastic haha I've heard it's good for a maintenance so the transmission is operating good, also heard tho adjusting bands can destroy a trans too. Gotta have a professional do it or know what you're doing.

These trans are actually really easy to adjust the bands on, I wouldn't recommend it without a quality torque wrench though.
94+ Ram AT band adjustment

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
R/T Fire is spot on, most people don't know wtf they're doing or have the right tools or resources.
If you're willing to do the reading, buy the tools and take your time, it's not THAT hard.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Post 98 for sure. If I were looking for another 2nd gen (and lets be honest arent we all at some point? lol), I would look for:
1500 with 318/5.2 and a 5spd (dont feel like there is any point to a 1500 with the 360, why not just get a 2500 for the stronger axles)
2500 with v10 and 5spd or a builetproofed auto (forget which one they used)
1998-98.5 2500 with Cummins and 5spd (12valve mechanical engine, not computer controlled, typically easier to work on and typically more reliable)

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Ever since I joined forums 2 months after I bought my truck (over 2 1/2yrs ago) I've been saving money to buy a 97+ V8 2500. I still haven't found one in decent shape or for a fair price. At this point I can afford something in a 3g hemi 2500 range, still can't find one of those! Pushing me more and more towards a new new truck. Why does all the good stuff have to be nfs or way overpriced. :sad72:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I'll take my 96 over any other year thanks but that's me.