Why 22" Wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m looking at new 1500’s. Found a Laramie Ecodiesel I like, except it has the Night Edition, which includes 285/45/22 tires. Seems like the lack of sidewall would degrade the ride significantly. Am I too old school in thinking 22” wheels and 45% aspect tires are a bad combination for a truck?

I’ll keep the truck stock and use it mostly for long road trips; with occasional towing (6,000 lbs) and a little gentle off-roading).

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Cause they look "cool".
Why wouldn't you prefer a tire that
1. Wears out faster, and
2. Costs more to replace

Seems like a fantastic idea! :rolleyes: All the MFG's are doing it.

(Please read the above in the most sarcastic tone you can imagine.)

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They are usually lighter for the same overall diameter. Helps with mpgs.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The 22s will be easy to sell or trade for 20s or 18s. There's no shortage of rims and rubber out there.

Rcamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excuse what might be a ridiculous question….but if the truck comes with 22’s I assume 20’s would work, what about 18’s. Don’t mean to high Jack just wondering for my thought process.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
It's about handling, control and tire dynamics. The best driving performance and handling is done through the suspension, not high sidewall tires. High sidewall tires flex and cause unpredictable handling and responses.
It's not 1970 anymore, vehicles are performance machines.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
18s are about the max that should be on a truck. Anything larger just looks ********. It's one of the first things I did with my 2019 classic, it had the 20-in wheels with the night edition, pulled those off. Sold them. Put on a nice set of ram replica 17 in. Looks a thousand times better with more rubber between the rim and the ground.
I really don't get how they think 22-in look cool. They look ********. And they aren't practical for a truck that does truck things or car things. A rubber band around a piece of metal is not practical.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Excuse what might be a ridiculous question….but if the truck comes with 22’s I assume 20’s would work, what about 18’s. Don’t mean to high Jack just wondering for my thought process.

Any factory option will work, and usually you can go even smaller.

You're good on downsizing rims until you get to the "does it hit the brake calipers" limit.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
18's work great. That was one of the reasons I went with a Ltd Longhorn instead of a Ltd when I ordered out my '22 2500. 18's were not available on the Ltd. I prefer a better ride to being stylish.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I’ll say from experience that it’s the tire that produces the best ride, not the rim size. I had 18” rims and the Firestone HT tires on my ‘22 and they were some rough riding tires. My ‘23 has a 20” rim with the Firestone AT tires and they ride much better, tires on both setups were the same circumference and aired up to factory specs.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
18s are about the max that should be on a truck. Anything larger just looks ********. It's one of the first things I did with my 2019 classic, it had the 20-in wheels with the night edition, pulled those off. Sold them. Put on a nice set of ram replica 17 in. Looks a thousand times better with more rubber between the rim and the ground.
I really don't get how they think 22-in look cool. They look ********. And they aren't practical for a truck that does truck things or car things. A rubber band around a piece of metal is not practical.
Careful, all PPL ******** bout them 22's, some RAM Engineer may get the IDEA to put a Carolina "SQUAT" on a brand new RAM with 22" tires (cool look)??? (sic). :anitoof: (Guess after the Squat they put a "Bowtie" on the hood)< lmao.

FTR: I had 20's on my ED, I have 18's on my 5th Gen. Works and performs fine. If I needed a more aggressive tire beyond Falkens, now you talking suspension changes, lift, etc, BUT I have no need for a truck with that capability. But just my situation.

eee.JPG

Last edited:

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Careful, all PPL ******** bout them 22's, some RAM Engineer may get the IDEA to put a Carolina "SQUAT" on a brand new RAM with 22" tires (cool look)??? (sic). :anitoof: (Guess after the Squat they put a "Bowtie" on the hood)< lmao.

FTR: I had 20's on my ED, I have 18's on my 5th Gen. Works and performs fine. If I needed a more aggressive tire beyond Falkens, now you talking suspension changes, lift, etc, BUT I have no need for a truck with that capability. But just my situation.

View attachment 531469
Never have understood why that is so “cool” to some folks, I’d be afraid to mow over something because I couldn’t see what’s in front of me. Maybe it’s just an age thing, IDK.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
... and aired up to factory specs.

Try reducing air pressure and you'll see the difference. Factory specs are for stiff AF sidewalls for load rating and fuel economy, regardless of sidewall height.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I’ll say from experience that it’s the tire that produces the best ride, not the rim size. I had 18” rims and the Firestone HT tires on my ‘22 and they were some rough riding tires. My ‘23 has a 20” rim with the Firestone AT tires and they ride much better, tires on both setups were the same circumference and aired up to factory specs.
Yes, the tire itself does play a part, a very large part. For example, look at the POS Goodyear SRAs that came on the RAM, those things ride beautiful because the sidewall in them is paper thin. They were a horrible tire and you take just about any tire out there in the same size is going to ride much rougher but be 10,000 times better. Even worn out than those SRAs ever will be. But then you take a tire with the same diameter but on a 17 inch rim and even with a stiffer sidewall will usually ride better than the 20s

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never have understood why that is so “cool” to some folks, I’d be afraid to mow over something because I couldn’t see what’s in front of me. Maybe it’s just an age thing, IDK.
North Carolina passed a law in Transportation Code about the Squat BS. Against law to drive down road like that and big $$$$ ticket. I 100% agree on that, might be OK at a swap meet in a parking lot, not driving down the road.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's about handling, control and tire dynamics. The best driving performance and handling is done through the suspension, not high sidewall tires. High sidewall tires flex and cause unpredictable handling and responses.
It's not 1970 anymore, vehicles are performance machines.
Yea but trucks? I think 20 is the highest I would prefer. Love my 20s.
IMO 20" is a fine size on modern trucks. Large enough to be stylish while still allowing enough sidewall for ride quality.
Unless the main/only reason you bought your truck is to use it as a towing/hauling machine and don't give a squat about style. Or much about ride quality, although a smoother ride is always better. My truck rides smooth enough that it is a pretty comfortable daily driver, but I can load a VW bug in the back and tow a 12,000# 5th-wheel from coast to coast if I've a mind to.