Why 22" Wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, the tire itself does play a part, a very large part. For example, look at the POS Goodyear SRAs that came on the RAM, those things ride beautiful because the sidewall in them is paper thin. They were a horrible tire and you take just about any tire out there in the same size is going to ride much rougher but be 10,000 times better. Even worn out than those SRAs ever will be. But then you take a tire with the same diameter but on a 17 inch rim and even with a stiffer sidewall will usually ride better than the 20s
The 17" Goodyear SRA's that came on my wife's Jeep in 2013 were just fine. So much so that when they wore out at 60,000 miles I bought another set. Now I don't think they are available anymore.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I have 22" hellcat reps for our trucks with a 45 series tire. Ride isn't that bad but the tires are tad thin and 1/2" shorter overall height. 22" is not out of place on our trucks but I will be stepping up my 285/45 tire to a 305 to get a bit more sidewall in the next year or so. I use the 22's for summer and swap to the stock 20's for fall/winter. Now I would agree that a 24" is too big.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
It's about handling, control and tire dynamics. The best driving performance and handling is done through the suspension, not high sidewall tires. High sidewall tires flex and cause unpredictable handling and responses.
It's not 1970 anymore, vehicles are performance machines.
Oh man...Did you just say all that out loud? Some of the goobers on this board ain't gonna like that...... "It's bad 'nough these here trucks got that thar Japanese ignition 'stead of reliable points, but now we gots to spend big money on tarrrrs that don't do nuffin"

5150Eddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I have 18"on my 2016 and I think those are too big, may go to 17". Tires cost more also. And whoever thought it would be a good idea to have the TPMS set at 80 lbs in the rears? At that pressure running empty my spine would be permanently dislocated.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
. And whoever thought it would be a good idea to have the TPMS set at 80 lbs in the rears? At that pressure running empty my spine would be permanently dislocated.
It's all in the math and the rated cargo load. If the tires are at max inflation they'll carry max load assigned to the tire which meets the standard needed for the truck's capacity. The silly part isn't in the idea of having the tire set at max...The silly part is the guberment telling the consumer they can't adjust the TPMS settings.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have 18"on my 2016 and I think those are too big, may go to 17". Tires cost more also. And whoever thought it would be a good idea to have the TPMS set at 80 lbs in the rears? At that pressure running empty my spine would be permanently dislocated.
Mine actually rides really well just keeping them at 80 rear/75 front like the pillar and the manual say to do. I've been ribbed about it by a bunch on here, but I have almost 3000 miles on this truck since I picked it up and there isn't the least bit of tread wear. I'm not interested in getting the AlphaOBD and changing the parameters, and I can't lower them more than 10% anyway as my TPMS alert will go off non-stop, so I'll just leave them as they are.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haven't the sport model run 22" s for years?

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I’m looking at new 1500’s. Found a Laramie Ecodiesel I like, except it has the Night Edition, which includes 285/45/22 tires. Seems like the lack of sidewall would degrade the ride significantly. Am I too old school in thinking 22” wheels and 45% aspect tires are a bad combination for a truck?

I’ll keep the truck stock and use it mostly for long road trips; with occasional towing (6,000 lbs) and a little gentle off-roading).
Inner city ghetto dweller appeal.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my 22's, but for looks, not ride quality. My 2 cents for what it sounds like you want, buy the truck you like with the 22s. Find some 18" factory takeoffs on eBay or marketplace, sell your 22s on eBay or Marketplace and pocket $500+. Also, if those 22s are the factor GoodYears, you aren't getting much life out of them anyway so sell them new.

Malodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If it was a 4 x 4 then they come with 20" rims and an 18" spare.
That is the way my '21 Ecodiesel was configured.

Malodave

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2020 Laramie Longhorn new and it came with the optioned 22-inch tires ... I find they ride just fine but then again, I also have the air suspension that might make the difference ... I had 20-inch on my previous two RAM's which also had the air suspension as well and I haven't noticed any difference ...

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I’m looking at new 1500’s. Found a Laramie Ecodiesel I like, except it has the Night Edition, which includes 285/45/22 tires. Seems like the lack of sidewall would degrade the ride significantly. Am I too old school in thinking 22” wheels and 45% aspect tires are a bad combination for a truck?

I’ll keep the truck stock and use it mostly for long road trips; with occasional towing (6,000 lbs) and a little gentle off-roading).
Do some serious research on that V M Motori engine. They can be a real problem. They are not using then any longer. If you get it ask for a HUGE discount!

YooperEE5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have owned my 2019 Laramie 4x4 1500 for a little over 1 year now - the original owner ordered it with 22" wheels - that would not have been my choice but it rides just fine and also does well in the woods. It hauls a box full of very heavy firewood no problem also.

Not sure on the original tires but it had pretty new Nitto Ridge Grapplers when I bought it. They were fine but I had some front end noise that turned out to be a wheel bearing but didn't find out until after I tried new tires.

So now I have 2 sets of expensive 285 45 R22 tires but I'll likely keep this truck long enough to wear out both sets....

The factory running boards are lower than I would like for the woods but one has to be careful and that is another topic ;-)

ACEd

Reaction score
Engine
Diesel 6.7
They are usually lighter for the same overall diameter. Helps with mpgs.
Actually the wheel + tire assemblies are heavier for a given overall diameter - metal is a lot heavier than rubber filled with air. You might get a small MPG benefit due to increased stiffness, but the trade is:
1. Stiffer Ride (observed LT275/70R18 vs the 20in OE on same 2500Ltd)
2. More likely to damage expensive rims on curbs (been there, done that)
3. Poorer handling due to higher unsprung weight (trivial on a truck)
4. More expensive (how is less material in a tire more expensive - because they can claim lower volume and there is limited competition)
5. Harder to find / $pecial Order / Less options
6. Frequently lower load capacity at a given width and diameter
On the plus side, on a race car, you can put bigger brakes under larger diameter wheels which more than offsets the unsprung weight issue and increased stiffness there is frequently a benefit.
So it gives vehicle a sexy racing look and manufacturer can add $1200/2000 price tag to sticker for what costs them about $400 extra at the OE level.

DickLowman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have no dispute with other posts on this thread, but will express my thoughts in the hope that FCA is monitoring this. I bought a Ram Tradesman for service, not style. If Ram had only been offered with the stylish oversized low profile tires and foo-foo rims, I would have looked for options at GMC or Ford. 17-inch tires with real, practical, steel rims on the Tradesman work well for me. That's my vote.

Sol-Invictus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I have no dispute with other posts on this thread, but will express my thoughts in the hope that FCA is monitoring this. I bought a Ram Tradesman for service, not style. If Ram had only been offered with the stylish oversized low profile tires and foo-foo rims, I would have looked for options at GMC or Ford. 17-inch tires with real, practical, steel rims on the Tradesman work well for me. That's my vote.
Yes that is why I am running these on my Tradesman. Good basic and simple.

20231029_073907.jpg

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agreed...

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excuse what might be a ridiculous question….but if the truck comes with 22’s I assume 20’s would work, what about 18’s. Don’t mean to high Jack just wondering for my thought process.
Yep, 18’s will work with correct sized tires - with larger sidewalls, ride better, about same mpg. Tires much, much cheaper also, more options also.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
One of the reasons I ordered my truck instead of taking one off the lot: I did NOT want low profile tires, especially on a truck. The reality is this: I would have ordered 16 or 17 inch rims if they'd been offered. I despise large rims/low profile tires on any vehicle, but especially on a truck. I now live in upstate NY. Every winter we get potholes that are a foot deep. You don't want low profile tires on unrepairable large rims when you hit one. About a year after we bought my wife's 2008 Solara I bought downsized rims and tires after she slammed a pothole at just 50 mph. The incident destroyed the front AND rear right side tires and rims. Downsized tires and rims for all four wheels cost about 20% less than replacing the two original rims and tires. That's insane. She never noticed the difference.

Low profile tires are not for most American cars and trucks on American roads. They're for real sports cars that go 100+ MPH on autobahn smooth roads. None of which is applicable here in the good old USA, where the interstates are falling apart around us. Only posers put low profile tires on trucks.