Winter Driving | 2500 vs. 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
stoney

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
duratracs are great...as long as you don't go near dirt,rocks,mud or sand.

For me, they will be my day to day driver for all four seasons.....no off roading or that sort of stuff.

I typically hate goodyear tires, never had a good set yet, always found them to be crap & like hockey pucks after a year, but I find it hard to ignore all the great reviews on the Duratrac tires, so I am actually considering buying a set of goodyear tires, which I thought I would never purposely do.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For me, they will be my day to day driver for all four seasons.....no off roading or that sort of stuff.

I typically hate goodyear tires, never had a good set yet, always found them to be crap & like hockey pucks after a year, but I find it hard to ignore all the great reviews on the Duratrac tires, so I am actually considering buying a set of goodyear tires, which I thought I would never purposely do.
It depends on the vehicle they are out on. Most people love the duratacs but a lot of HD owners who think they are way too soft to tow with or haul with.

OP
OP
stoney

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
It depends on the vehicle they are out on. Most people love the duratacs but a lot of HD owners who think they are way too soft to tow with or haul with.

I'll have to take better note of the vehicle people drive that like these tires.

I know the reviews I have read where they are on HD trucks, that is one of the reviews/opinions that is extreme, the tire life/wear....but that seems to always be one of the drastic opinions on most tires based on peoples driving habits and road conditions.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Mastercraft courser mxt, so I don't expect very good ice/slush performance but they are still better than the transforce tires that came on my truck. Being in Ontario I'm not sure if the snow tire law applies to HD trucks or not but it only leaves you with around 5 options if I remember right and you listed 2 of them. I've also heard good things about the general grabber at2's which I why I think they will be going on my wife's grand cherokee.

I see that 1010 Tires.com rated the grabber pretty good. General Grabber AT2 Tire Reviews (85 Reviews)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's kindof funny. Back in June I put Duratracs on my '09 1500. Took it down to the beach and it drove through the sand like a dream. My buddy's 2500 still had the Flintstones on and even after we experimented with everything from 30 to 50 pounds it always had a harder time. True it was heavier but mine would just glide across the beach. Enter winter....poor planning in a way since I sold that 1500 with less than 2000 miles on those duratracs and new rims. But they were 17's. I suppose i'm doomed to suffer this winter with the Flintstones.

I will say I expect alot more breaking of traction in the snow this year. Even with the tires being crap, my 6.4 is a huge difference from the 4.7 and I'm like a child. Can't wait to go to an empty snow blanketed parking lot....and leave Redneck Alien signs in it.

warwagon98xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Duratracs are the great in the snow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
stoney

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
Received some winter conditions finally.....truck feels much better than my 1500 so far.

2WD rear traction is way better, I used to have to put my 1500 in 4WD just to get out of my driveway that has an incline, tracking seems better up front, the only condition that felt worse was driving down a slush covered road, drivers side tire was in little to minimal slush, passenger tire was in 6 or so inches of slush, trucked pulled harder than I expected it would towards the road side ditch, but I was expecting the pull, just seem to pull harder.

soper72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 Outdoorsman CC
Received some winter conditions finally.....truck feels much better than my 1500 so far.

2WD rear traction is way better, I used to have to put my 1500 in 4WD just to get out of my driveway that has an incline, tracking seems better up front, the only condition that felt worse was driving down a slush covered road, drivers side tire was in little to minimal slush, passenger tire was in 6 or so inches of slush, trucked pulled harder than I expected it would towards the road side ditch, but I was expecting the pull, just seem to pull harder.

I just drove mine in some ice/slush this morning. I almost put it in 4wd before pulling out because I didn't expect to be able to make it out of the driveway. Ended up going all the way to work in 2wd, heated seats and steering wheel were nice too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
stoney

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
When do people normally turn off their electronic stability control, if at all?

Manual states to turn off on loose gravel, etc...conditions, so I am thinking wintery, snowy & icy conditions would apply.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When do people normally turn off their electronic stability control, if at all?

Manual states to turn off on loose gravel, etc...conditions, so I am thinking wintery, snowy & icy conditions would apply.
You can't really turn off the stability control. You can turn it off in 4wd up to 45 mph and in 4 low it is off, but for normal driving in 2wd it can't be disabled.
The main reason people shut it off is to mess around doing donuts and such.

OP
OP
stoney

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
You can't really turn off the stability control. You can turn it off in 4wd up to 45 mph and in 4 low it is off, but for normal driving in 2wd it can't be disabled.
The main reason people shut it off is to mess around doing donuts and such.

So what is turned off when you hit the button on the dash that has a symbol for electronic stability control with the word "off"?

OP
OP
stoney

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
Traction control.

LOL...when I quickly checked the manual this morning, it referenced it as stability control, but I know there is a light that also comes on in the dash when traction is not so good, that has/uses the same symbol.

Okay, so when or what conditions are guys turning off traction control?

turboguy327

Reaction score
I have a 2012 mega cab 6.7. It's leveled with 33x12.50s. Mastercraft MXT and haven't had much snow in upstate NY yet but with the mastercraft AXT this truck was unstoppable last winter plowing. Even in 2WD in spots. No weight.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2012 mega cab 6.7. It's leveled with 33x12.50s. Mastercraft MXT and haven't had much snow in upstate NY yet but with the mastercraft AXT this truck was unstoppable last winter plowing. Even in 2WD in spots. No weight.
Prepare to have your hands full unless you are in deep snow. I just put the axt's on my wife's grand cherokee, great tire in the snow although the tread pattern sucks for sound. I have the mxt's on my truck and in deeper snow they are awesome, but in hard packed snow or ice they suck.

OP
OP
stoney

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
LOL...when I quickly checked the manual this morning, it referenced it as stability control, but I know there is a light that also comes on in the dash when traction is not so good, that has/uses the same symbol.

Okay, so when or what conditions are guys turning off traction control?

Experimented with this feature on the drive home on some snow/icy roads.

With traction control off, truck is more squirrelly on corners, tends to want to spin out more - likely fun in a controlled environment
With it left on, stills wants to spin out, just not as bad, definitely more control.

This was in 2WD only.

turboguy327

Reaction score
Prepare to have your hands full unless you are in deep snow. I just put the axt's on my wife's grand cherokee, great tire in the snow although the tread pattern sucks for sound. I have the mxt's on my truck and in deeper snow they are awesome, but in hard packed snow or ice they suck.

I wanted AXT and use them every year but did the lift and they don't make the AXT in a 33" tire. After this year I'm gonna go back to AXT in a 35x12.50.