02 fuel pump install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DannyGVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My car was beginning to have a delay when going to start it up so I finally went and changed the pump. Initially I put the pump in bolted the bed back down and took the near empty truck to the gas station to fill up. I filled up and the gauge remained where it was. Day 2 I tilt the bed to the side and pull the pump. I rearrange the float as I though this was my issue. Prior to bolting the bed down I start the car and the gauge reads full. After doing some driving about 50 miles my gauge is still stuck in full and my dte reads as if the tank is full. I just unplugged the pump restarted truck and the needle dropped. I plugged the connect back in and the needle shot up again. Can it be a defective pump assembly? Any help would be appreciated.
I now think it is electrical being that it pins full as soon as I start the truck. I thought my float was installed upside down but I'd have some movement on my gauge. I read that the I need to take full pressure switch off old pump and put on new (don't thin this would affect gauge) . I held them side by side and didn't see anything to remove and put on new pump. All connectors were connected, not sure if that applies to my '02.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My car was beginning to have a delay when going to start it up so I finally went and changed the pump. Initially I put the pump in bolted the bed back down and took the near empty truck to the gas station to fill up. I filled up and the gauge remained where it was. Day 2 I tilt the bed to the side and pull the pump. I rearrange the float as I though this was my issue. Prior to bolting the bed down I start the car and the gauge reads full. After doing some driving about 50 miles my gauge is still stuck in full and my dte reads as if the tank is full. I just unplugged the pump restarted truck and the needle dropped. I plugged the connect back in and the needle shot up again. Can it be a defective pump assembly? Any help would be appreciated.
I now think it is electrical being that it pins full as soon as I start the truck. I thought my float was installed upside down but I'd have some movement on my gauge. I read that the I need to take full pressure switch off old pump and put on new (don't thin this would affect gauge) . I held them side by side and didn't see anything to remove and put on new pump. All connectors were connected, not sure if that applies to my '02.
If the truck starts and runs with the new fuel pump then the actual pump is not faulty but the fuel level sending unit is not working properly.

I recommend using the sending unit from your old pump or warranty the pump and be done.

OP
OP
D

DannyGVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you fastmopar69. I have a replacement unit in the way. My first time working on a fuel pump. I appreciate your help.