04 Ram 4.7 Timing Chain Slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb Parker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I bought an 04 Ram with the 4.7. I got a screaming deal on it because it's a little noisy at idle. It sounds alot like a diesel especially when it's cold. It quiets down once its warmed up, but sometimes the sound completely goes away. Anyway, I pulled the valve covers today (Holy **** these engines sit far back) to see if the timing chain is what I was hearing.

This is what I found:

This is the driver's side. I checked the passenger side before this, and I didn't notice any slack like this.

Looks like it's time to a timing chain kit. Do you guys think it could just be a bad tensioner? The truck only has 136,000 miles on it so I have a hard time believing that the chain's developed this much slack. What do you guys think?

Bigdog9598

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 - 4x2 - SLT
Engine
4.7 flex
Caleb, no one has responded, curious what others think. I don't have noise coming from my chains but about to turn 190,000 miles on mine and considering changing them.

Luis tucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With how much slack and build up on the chains I'd just do the timing job a complete kit will come with the chains tensioner for both sides and all guides which are actually a pale color by the way see how those are almost stained as brown as the oil don't be surprised if they snap while trying to remove them I have 175,000 on my 4.7 and did them and most if not all slapping noises went away

Hexxus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think my chains are sloppy too. When I remote the truck while standing in front of it, I can hear some clatter.

OP
OP
C

Caleb Parker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm going to buy the $300 Mopar timing chain kit and do the whole thing. I'm also going to buy lash adjusters and change those out while I have it all torn apart and probably do the water pump too.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm going to buy the $300 Mopar timing chain kit and do the whole thing. I'm also going to buy lash adjusters and change those out while I have it all torn apart and probably do the water pump too.
I’m glad to see you’re using OEM parts
Although I’ve never done the chain and tensioner, I do recall a lot of past threads complaining aftermarket part failures
My 4.7 has 235000km or 145000miles and is probably coming due for the same work
Let us know how it goes for you

Hexxus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I am looking for the mopar timing kit too but cannot find it, can you share your link?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye