08 Ram 1500 FOG LIGHT FACTORY WIRING HARNESS HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarcusB11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
My truck didnt come with fog lights, so i bought some, and also bought the factory wiring harness. Ok heres the deal.

There are 2 wires in the harness black and white.
Which is the positive/hot???

Im assuming black is negative and white is positive. But im not sure..not familiar with white wire in automotive wiring.

Heres a pic.

20190901_125115.jpg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Didn't your fog light kit come with the instructions and diagram for the wiring? Is it the Mopar Accessory kit?

OP
OP
MarcusB11

MarcusB11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
No instructions, the wiring kit is plug and play for rams already equiped with the factory foglight switch..
Im modifying the harness by wiring up my own toggle switch...just need to know what the white wire is for

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No instructions, the wiring kit is plug and play for rams already equiped with the factory foglight switch..
Im modifying the harness by wiring up my own toggle switch...just need to know what the white wire is for
Can you give me the part number you have for the kit?

OP
OP
MarcusB11

MarcusB11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
I went ahead and spliced the white to a red wire. Ill hook everything up when i get a 3 prong switch and ill see what happens

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you bought a factory wiring harness to hook up fog lights, why didn't you just wire it in like factory to a factory switch instead of screwing around with a CAN bus electrical system that is VERY sensitive to voltage variations?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I definitely wouldn’t play the see what happens game on a truck with a TIPM. Go to harbor freight and pick up a multimeter for 5 dollars. That will at least tell you what is positive and negative. But either way tying something into the tipm and using your own toggle switch on it will probably cause that thing to lose its mind.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Idk if you'd be interested, but I checked on fog light wiring just a couple of days ago on my 2006 base ST. I looked at the wires running into the headlight switch, back of the instrument cluster, and under the front of the truck, and the wiring for fogs is all there. If you'd rather go OEM you could check into it, based on every thread I've seen its like its a 50/50 chance of these trucks having fog light wiring preinstalled

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarcusB11

MarcusB11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
My truck didnt come with wiring or foglights.

OP
OP
MarcusB11

MarcusB11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
So i hooked everything up to a 3 prong toggle switch everything worked fine. White wire was in fact the hot wire. Fog lights now work. No issues