08 Ram burning oil.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terry04720

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 08 Ram with 165,000 miles and a 4.7 that is burning oil. There is no leaks that I can see. The only time I see it smoke is after idling for a while and then taking off it will blow a little blue smoke. Does anyone have thoughts on where I should start? I'm thinking it might be valve seals but it is my under standing these trucks don't usually have that issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Rings and/or valves, hopefully they aren't corroded and just carboned up. I'd run redline si-1 for a couple tanks, if that doesn't help run sea foam through vac lines. Consider a tuneup after if plugs are old. You can run a HM oil as well, maybe a little thicker then spec.

Google redline si-1 and watch the youtubes. They boroscoped before and afters, as well as a member here. It will clean up those rings if you give it a chance. Full bottle first, then 1/2 bottle, then 1/2 bottle, over three tanks, should "doher" fine.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The important thing to remember about running high mileage formulated oil is that it never stops "conditioning" your seals if you use it all the time, I personally always recommend it as a last resort or if you are selling it to someone you don't care for. As Burla suggested, it could be your rings, however, we each have our own favorite additives we like running through the tank for cleaning fuel systems and trying to de-carbon combustion chambers. I happen to like Amsoil P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive (I use in conjunction with an oil change), Marvel Mystery Oil (as needed, helps frees up sticky injectors), and BG 44K (once a year to clean the fuel system) depending on what I'm trying to achieve with the vehicle and its general condition.

I believe the best thing to do if you plan on keeping your truck is doing a compression test if you firmly believe it is the rings and use an endoscope to inspect the cylinder for excessive carbon buildup.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Another thing that could be an issue here and causing smoke after sitting at idle for a while is valve seals. The older the seals get the harder the rubber gets and they lose their tension around the valve stem. Leaking valve seals and or worn valve guides will allow oil into the combustion chamber and cause the smoke when you first accelerate. Just another idea.

For the record I have remove and replaced 4.7 valve seals plenty of times over the years for this exact concern. You can inspect the guides and check wear while replacing the valve seals.

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn/Longhorn Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
Ditto on the valve seals. Shut the truck off for a couple of hours and upon startup if it smokes, you have oil seeping down the valve stems. A leak down test will tell you whether its bad rings or leaking valves...Good luck....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This guy used amsoil PI and tw-c3 in his hemi and this was what he pistons looked after...

full-76018-37987-p11.jpg

Then he put in one bottle of Redline si-1...

full-76018-37989-p33.jpg

Here's the thread at Bob's, more video's. I only care about results personally, not brand, this one seams to work. I encourage someone to get a 20 dollar boroscope like @Hemi395 did. Challenge these results. That was what he did, he was challenging the results from the video's, as it turns out the results are verified, that redline si-1 works. Seams to take two bottles, that has been consensus with 3 tests so far. Hemi395 is in the middle of this test, he will be posting results soon.