1/2 ton to 3/4 ton towing.....worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Night and day! I didn’t get a chance to read all of the comments, but in my experience it is truly night and day.

I had a Max Tow F150 with a 3.5Ecoboost. I loved that truck. Towed all over CO including almost every major mountain pass out here. Took it slow and never had a problem, but I had to drive it the whole time. Two hands on the wheel, felt every road imperfection, wind gust, and everything that passed me on the interstate.

Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi now. This thing is a dog compared to the Ecoboost. Struggles up the big grades, worse gas mileage, and overall lack of power up here at elevation but............It’s the best move I’ve ever made. The stability and sheer weight of the Ram make the bigger truck a winner in my book. One hand on the wheel, no more white knuckles, no more sweating the drive to camp. Wind, big rigs, and bumps in the road are all gone. 65mph the whole time and relaxed. Definitely night and day if your set up is dialed in.

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For what it's worth, I just came back from a weekend of towing with our new to us 3/4 ton 2500 with the 6.4 HEMI. Old truck was an 06 Mega Cab 1/2 (sorta) with the 5.7 HEMI. Old one did great - I've never had sway issues, no wagging - probably due to long wheelbase, almost 3/4 ton rating on back end, etc. So I can't speak of that particular issue but I can tell you that I have enjoyed the trip much more than with the old one from a driving standpoint. Truck seems much much happier and capable. Now, it's not fair comparing an '06 with a '17 but I'm very happy we switched...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I made the same choice about 3 years ago. Had a blacked out ram 1500, 3.92 gears, set up just the way I wanted it, weight distribution hitch, helper bags, upgraded springs, it rode perfectly level, but the camper was like a sail - strong winds would have me all over the road. It was ok for short trips, but something longer than an hour or two would have me gritting my teeth and doing 50 MPH on the highway, once I got up to around 55-60, it would start moving it around. Pin weight for the camper was just under 1000lb (https://www.hitchrv.com/product/new-2021-crossroads-rv-sunset-trail-ss331bh-1246629-29), and camper weighed around 8k, maybe 8500 loaded with our groceries (but tanks empty).

The specs said we were good... but the ride said differently. Upgraded to a 2014 ram 2500 (diesel was probably overkill, but pulls it well), entirely different experience - loved traveling again. Firmly planted on road, no "extra" suspension help needed, even with our 5th wheel. You don't necessarily need the diesel, but I did commute in it sometimes, so the MPG when not pulling was pretty nice (18-20 highway driving, non-deleted). Then we got starry eyed and upgraded to a 5th wheel :) 5th wheel rides differently, but also a great ride.

I am no expert, but think it comes down to the fact that a 8-9k trailer weighs more than the 5-6k truck... and once you get moving, the wind makes it a rough ride on the 1500.

Hemi_Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I down sized my trailer last year which my 2001 Ram 3500 dually diesel pulled like it didn't even know it was back there.
Now I have an older Ram 1500 and a 21 ft camp trailer which I love because I can ease thru the Nevada back country on dirt roads.
We don't travel like we used to. Now we try to manage doctor appt's !
I LOVED that diesel !! So I recommend you get at least the 2500 diesel Ram while you are young and strong. You will LOVE it !!
Have a great day !

grumpyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went a 2500 for the exact same reason , the sway is gone with the 2500 , I assume you already have the weight distribution hitch, from what I have been able to find out over the years one of the main reasons the sway goes away on 2500's is the 10 ply tires used on them for the load capacity, I never tried 10 ply on a 1500 , but if the wife told me to get a new truck I wouldn't even have time to post here , I would be at the dealer. I bought a 2019 in dec. and called 2 dealers and went back and forth and ended up getting the 2500 6.4 with 8 speed for 37245.00

Tony Stark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2014 2500 with 5.7. It did fine with my 30 foot TT. Pulled it 16,500 miles in 2017. Plenty of power and comfortable to drive. Traded it for a 2017 1500 with 5.7 and 3.92 rear. Pulled good and rode good but cross wind was scary. Adjusted WDH, added second sway controller, put in Timbrens. Still not good. Traded for 2019 with 6.4 and 4.10 rear. No comparison. Would never go back. Now I have a 36’ fifth wheel. The 6.4 is plenty and driving is comfortable. Fuel on the road and towing is about the same for all three trucks. Around town mileage sucks.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 1500 and towed a 29' TT that was 35 foot total length. Dry weight was 6750 and I believe the tongue weight was 775. When loaded it actually weighed 8400 on the scale and we had about 900#s on the tongue.
I had sway, especially down steep hills and when the wind would gust. I went to Load range D tires and that helped. I got a Equalizer 1400 and when properly set it helped.
What took most of the sway was getting more weight on the tongue. I loaded the front up to 1050 and things were better. Like you, the wife told me to get a bigger truck. :) She hated sway!!

With the 2500 I had a little sway and loaded the front to 1200#s, went thru the WDH setup again and the sway was gone. I went down 6% and 7% grades with semis passing me and there was no sway! One time I was coming back on a 200 mile camping trip and the winds were about 17 to 20 mph (with gusts) and I hardly even noticed it! I moved up to a 5th wheel and I just back into the pin drop the jacks and off I go. The 5th wheel sits on the back axle and tows like a dream, no more sway bar/hitch playing around!

If you do go for the 2500 I would recommend getting the 4.10 gears. Especially if you plan on putting on some 35s to fill the fender openings since this will reduce your overall gear ratio. With the 4.10s you will be in the higher gears when towing. Mine is a 6 speed and my 5th wheel weighs about 12,000 loaded.

You can buy a pin scale for around 200.00 They even sell cell phone app/system that weighs your tongue. That way you don't need to keep going over to the scale. Also when you load your TT differently you can check to see you have adequate tongue weight.

Last edited:

Chris Holub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Coming from a 2011 Toyota Tundra with a 5.7 Gas motor and the truck rated to tow 10,500 lbs and now have a 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel there is no comparison and for me the biggest thing was the safety of now having the exhaust brake too. My 5th wheel is only 6600 lbs empty but still once we load it up and climb north up the mountains out of Phoenix to Flagstaff the Diesel just is worth all the money

-Chris

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
QUESTION - Should I buy the new truck?

We've been trying to sell our travel trailer for a month now, and no one is biting. We're selling it for a list of reasons, but a big one is that it basically maxes out my 2015 1500 on both payload and towing capacity, and it's a beast to drive with (it just acts as a big sail). I'm tired of white knuckling long drives.

So now the wife tempts me with "why don't we just get a bigger truck"?

I nearly fainted. I think I said "giggity" out loud, involuntarily.

We JUST paid the 1500 off. But since it's her idea.....

I start looking at 2500s, and we can definitely afford it.

Now the real question - will upgrading to a 3/4 really be that different when pulling a travel trailer? For those of you who have trailed the same stuff with both 1/2 and 3/4, what were your experiences?

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
I just upgraded to an enclosed trailer for my race car and found that the "sail effect" was brutal on the 5.7. I was pulling with a 2019 1500, prior to that I had an open trailer pulling it with a 2014 1500, no issues, I just traded my 1500 for a 2019 2500 Cummins, wow, no comparison. Smooth, plenty of power and very stable. If your wife said go ahead - do it !!!

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not a weight problem (no bounce on the tail), it's a sway problem. It's 32ft long and the wind just grabs it and whips my tail end around. Not sure if it's the 1500's non-traditional coil spring rear suspension or what.
I believe my Keystone 267bhs is heavier than yours? Not sure. I'm a little 0ver 7000 loaded. It;s all about weight distribution buddy. Your trailer is NOT too heavy for your truck. Does truck and trailer sit reasonably level when hooked up? You definately need a load leveling hitch, maybe you do I couldn't tell from your post. Lots of sway is a sign of imbalance.
Also this trailer I have is about the same length as yours, a little over 30' with tongue. I have towed several travel trailers, and former semi driver. The keystone has the spaced out axels. For example had a smaller JAYCO, 800 lbs lighter than the Keystone. They advertise the JAYCO as one of the easiest to tow. The Keystone hauls easier and with same truck I get around 1 MPG better mileage towing the heavier Keystone....and far less sway.
Again truck and trailer should be basically level when hooked up. You will feel some amount of sway with all travel trailers. Post a pic with trailer attached to truck. Also remember fuel mileage with bigger truck the 95% of the time you're not towing. Talked to guy that just bought a 2015 2500 4 wheel drive with the 6.4. older gentleman, a painter, gets around 11 MPG in town.Maybe the new ones are better. I'll keep my 2018 1500, 5.7 at 17-18 around town. When I tow the trailer i have to put cruise on 75 on the interstate to keep under 80.

Walt2137

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cruiser RV Viewfinder Signature. 32' tip to tail. Running an EAZ-lift WHD with sway control. 6500 lbs dry, about 700lbs tongue weight.

to make it more comfortable tighten up a little more on the weight distribution.

MadManMadan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
QUESTION - Should I buy the new truck?

We've been trying to sell our travel trailer for a month now, and no one is biting. We're selling it for a list of reasons, but a big one is that it basically maxes out my 2015 1500 on both payload and towing capacity, and it's a beast to drive with (it just acts as a big sail). I'm tired of white knuckling long drives.

So now the wife tempts me with "why don't we just get a bigger truck"?

I nearly fainted. I think I said "giggity" out loud, involuntarily.

We JUST paid the 1500 off. But since it's her idea.....

I start looking at 2500s, and we can definitely afford it.

Now the real question - will upgrading to a 3/4 really be that different when pulling a travel trailer? For those of you who have trailed the same stuff with both 1/2 and 3/4, what were your experiences?

Yes it makes a huge difference. We had a 1500 and had the same things happen with us. Even with the weight distro and sway control. I went to my first 2500 and I barely even knew the trailer was behind us. BTW we tow a 19 Jayflight 2019 28MDR. Never looked back. Matter of fact recently upgraded our 16 2500 to a 19 2500 Laramie Mega.

Jim Flaherty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About a year ago there was a post with photos comparing the brakes of a 1500 and a 2500. That alone should provide the answer. Brakes on my 1500 not much different from the wife's minivan.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About a year ago there was a post with photos comparing the brakes of a 1500 and a 2500. That alone should provide the answer. Brakes on my 1500 not much different from the wife's minivan.

Good point,
I actually forgot to plug our 7500# trailer to the 2500 til I stopped an hour later, didn't even realize because of the stopping power.

My trailer has to much tounge weight for 1500's with full fresh water and all the junk I carry in the bed.

dbctmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pull a Coachmen 310BHDS. It's 35.5 ft hitch to bumper and weighs about 8000 - 8500 lbs, depending on what we load into it. Pulled it for several years with my previous F-150 with all the max tow package. I use an Equalizer 4-point WDH. My 2019 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 with 6.4 Hemi definitely feels more stable. There is still some push from crosswinds but not nearly as bad as with the F-150. Whether you upgrade the truck or not, I would recommend upgrading your WDH. The sway control with the Equalizer is way better than my previous hitch, which was a Curt that was made like the EAZ Lift. I have also learned to slow down. I generally try not to tow faster than 55 on the interstates, maybe 60 if there is little wind or traffic. Takes a little longer, but I arrive much more relaxed.

David

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Plus the re-sale on a diesel is higher than that of a V8.

The purchase price for a new diesel pickup is $8,000 more than for the same truck with a gas engine. So of course the resale price is going to be higher but it is not $8,000 higher.

A diesel truck will tow a 15,000 lb trailer load more readily than a gas powered one and there is the benefit of having the exhaust brake. But the truck costs more to buy and a hell of a lot more to operated. I pay twice as much for oil changes and 4 times as much over 100,000 miles for ATF changes and I need to replace the fuel filter in a third as many miles as with a gas fueled vehicle. Anyone every replace the injectors on a gas engine? On a diesel engine it is not uncommon and the cost is more than $4,000. I pay as much for diesel as I would for premium gas. I also have to buy DEF and I have had one $700 NOx sensor replaced at 20,000 miles. That one was done under warranty but the next one will be at my expense.

A shorter trailer will be lighter, easier to manage on the highways, and there will be twice as many campsites available.

Go to the closest RV park and wearing a mask take a look at the trailers and ask their current owners how many plan to buy a larger or a smaller trailer or something else like a motorhoome in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca