1/2 ton to 1 ton rear end swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KadenJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, y'all! Super new here I literally only joined in the attempt to find someone that might know more than I do about this area of tech work. I'm looking for any knowledge you guys might have on my attempt to go from a 1/2-ton 4.7 rear end to a 1-ton rear end. I met a guy who had done this on his rig but he took it to a shop to have it done. I am less interested in having someone do it for me and would rather try to do it myself. I have the technical knowledge and abilities but I don't know where to start, or even if it's possible. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm aware that this is an abnormal conversion for a 4.7 of all motors. I'm looking to prep the rig for a flatbed but if I were to do the flatbed now I know my rear end wouldn't be able to support it.

The end goal is to have a pretty beefy 4.7 that I can off-road and show off for its peculiar set-up.
Thank you!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
9¼ is pretty beefy (same one the hemi uses, and all big block cars and trucks from 1974 or so to 1978). Why do you think it won't be enough? If it's too much for that axle, safe bet it'll be too much for that frame.
2wd or 4wd? 1 ton axles are big and heavy and have different ratios than the the half tons. If you have a front pumpkin you may not be able to match ratios.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Exactly above. You won't gain more payload with what you are doing, in fact if you are thinking of carrying more than truck is rated for, you may end up on here as a picture of truck bent in half as we have recently seen a number of. Just buy a heavier duty truck and know it can handle what you want to do.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated even if you swap the axles you are still limited by the actual frame. I know there are flatbeds available in aluminum that are light weight which may be better for you than a big steel flatbed. I believe that with a 4.7 1500 your payload should be around 1500lbs or so if I’m correct. That’s a decent amount for a 1/2 ton truck. Is it a crew cab or quad cab? And instead of beefing up the 4.7 you can drop in a 5.7 and be ahead already on power at a pretty low cost.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Actually you will lose payload by swapping in that axle due to the heavier weight.

You did mention off-roading? If you aren't driving it on the street than payload won't matter from a legal standpoint but yeah, like said, your frame will decide how much weight the truck can handle

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen plenty of s10s, rangers, etc with flat beds and none of them needed a one ton rear-end.

OP
OP
KadenJ

KadenJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
9¼ is pretty beefy (same one the hemi uses, and all big block cars and trucks from 1974 or so to 1978). Why do you think it won't be enough? If it's too much for that axle, safe bet it'll be too much for that frame.
2wd or 4wd? 1 ton axles are big and heavy and have different ratios than the the half tons. If you have a front pumpkin you may not be able to match ratios.
I had seen a friend of mine do it, I was hoping to see if I could match the effort. I have a 4wd so it would be a full 1ton conversion but yeah the lord I looked into it the more this all makes sense. I’ll probably just beef it’s suspension and then flip it for a heavy duty.

OP
OP
KadenJ

KadenJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually you will lose payload by swapping in that axle due to the heavier weight.

You did mention off-roading? If you aren't driving it on the street than payload won't matter from a legal standpoint but yeah, like said, your frame will decide how much weight the truck can handle
Alright, thank you man!

OP
OP
KadenJ

KadenJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't really care what you're going to do with it but if the truck is 4x4 then you better make sure the gear ratios match
Yeah it’ll have to be a front and rear conversion. Maybe too much effort for a 4.7…..

OP
OP
KadenJ

KadenJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Oh. I didn’t think of it like that. Thank you man!

OP
OP
KadenJ

KadenJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As stated even if you swap the axles you are still limited by the actual frame. I know there are flatbeds available in aluminum that are light weight which may be better for you than a big steel flatbed. I believe that with a 4.7 1500 your payload should be around 1500lbs or so if I’m correct. That’s a decent amount for a 1/2 ton truck. Is it a crew cab or quad cab? And instead of beefing up the 4.7 you can drop in a 5.7 and be ahead already on power at a pretty low cost.
Where could I look into a aluminum flat bed?? That would be way better for me. Then I could put money into suspension and a near motor.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You could likely find one of those vehicle yards that are all over Az.
that have a used bed that you could buy for less than $1,000

something like this, only well used

flatbed_header.jpg

IMG_7866_2-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had seen a friend of mine do it, I was hoping to see if I could match the effort. I have a 4wd so it would be a full 1ton conversion but yeah the lord I looked into it the more this all makes sense. I’ll probably just beef it’s suspension and then flip it for a heavy duty.
Which entails fab work, as ½ tons have IFS and ¾ ton & up are solid axle.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't, just don't.....

If you need an HD truck buy an HD truck. I cringe every time I see bubba ideas like this, People wanting to make a dually out of a SRW etc etc. The time and $ invested is a losing proposition.

OP
OP
KadenJ

KadenJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't, just don't.....

If you need an HD truck buy an HD truck. I cringe every time I see bubba ideas like this, People wanting to make a dually out of a SRW etc etc. The time and $ invested is a losing proposition.

It was for the uniqueness of it lol.