10 speaker Alpine system upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to post a link for those of you wanting to upgrade your Alpine system. This upgrade costs a little bit, but you can definitely get a really good upgrade with the speakers of your choice, including a good sub and sub enclosure. I personally don't have it because my Ram didn't have the 10 speaker upgrade. For what you spend on this, compared to the marginal upgrades you buy from Mopar (ie Kicker Mopar, etc) this route would get you a lot more flexibility. Hope this helps some of you out.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
The Kicker Mopar are just factory speaker replacements. 6 speakers, so it cant compare to an amplified 9 speaker with sub system. Its not intended for the Alpine replacements.

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Kicker Mopar are just factory speaker replacements. 6 speakers, so it cant compare to an amplified 9 speaker with sub system. Its not intended for the Alpine replacements.
My intentions were to give an example, not to specify. Sorry if it was misconstrued that way. But regardless, it is a way for some to think about if they are planning to upgrade the 10 speaker set up.
I see you're a fellow okie :) Where at?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
No worries, just added to clarify the Alpine and base audio and Mopar/Kicker packages, and differences.

yes sir, Stillwater. :)

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No worries, just added to clarify the Alpine and base audio and Mopar/Kicker packages, and differences.

yes sir, Stillwater. :)
Right on. I live around Woodward, but grew up in Guymon. lol

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Heck yea, its nice up there!

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Heck yea, its nice up there!
Can't complain. It's not bad.
I didn't realize you worked for Kicker, so if I offended you, that was not my intention. ;) You really should put a bug in r&d's ear to do an amp like the Kenwood for the Ram. I mean, you guys already have mopar speakers for the ram, why not do an amp like the Kenwood. Plus your amps are good so that would probably make some people happy.
PS: I'm still using my zx400.1 :favorites13:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
No didn't offend me at all. You never know what our R&D guys might come up with next. :)
But we do plug and play 9 channel amps for many OEM vehicles, Ram, Ford, GM, Suburu, etc in the VSS line, which is what I have.

And have you seen our IQ amps we released in 2015?
They already had time alignment, etc

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to post a link for those of you wanting to upgrade your Alpine system. This upgrade costs a little bit, but you can definitely get a really good upgrade with the speakers of your choice, including a good sub and sub enclosure. I personally don't have it because my Ram didn't have the 10 speaker upgrade. For what you spend on this, compared to the marginal upgrades you buy from Mopar (ie Kicker Mopar, etc) this route would get you a lot more flexibility. Hope this helps some of you out.

Funny... these guys are down the street from me. We go to their shop when we are sold out of a kit and need it same day.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Interesting, thats a HELL of alot of work. Any reason you couldn't just upgrade the amp in the factory spot and utilize the stock wiring. Plug and play besides setup? I like how they say you basically need to know what your doing to configure it and the instructions are very lacking. I would be down with a factory upgrade amp, plug and play in the stock location for a little more power but utilizing the stock headunit EQ etc.

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting, thats a HELL of alot of work. Any reason you couldn't just upgrade the amp in the factory spot and utilize the stock wiring. Plug and play besides setup? I like how they say you basically need to know what your doing to configure it and the instructions are very lacking. I would be down with a factory upgrade amp, plug and play in the stock location for a little more power but utilizing the stock headunit EQ etc.

I think what they mean is you need to know how to adjust the time correction and stuff like that. Which if you know how, it is definitely a worthy investment. The amp gives more power than the factory. I don't know if there is an amp that replaces factory. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would much rather go with an aftermarket radio because of better quality, etc. and this set up, I'm sure would sound way better than factory. IMHO. But that's why I shared it :) Options!

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
does the AR unit work with other amps? if so can u list them, ive used JLAudio for the last 20 years in all my vehicles(truck, boat, car). new truck I just bought and cant wait to put a real system in it

cpotts13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What do yall estimate this type of setup would cost? Install + equipment. I dont live too too far from them, and certainly dont have the technical knowledge to do this one on my own..

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does the AR unit work with other amps? if so can u list them, ive used JLAudio for the last 20 years in all my vehicles(truck, boat, car). new truck I just bought and cant wait to put a real system in it

The AR gives you preamp level outputs that can then go to whatever amp you like. The JLs are solid amps. There are many that are cheaper but not as well built/supported. Then there are the serious high end amps.

Depending on what you want, if you add a DSP (digital signal processor) that would go in between the AR and your amps.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The AR gives you preamp level outputs that can then go to whatever amp you like. The JLs are solid amps. There are many that are cheaper but not as well built/supported. Then there are the serious high end amps.

Depending on what you want, if you add a DSP (digital signal processor) that would go in between the AR and your amps.

in the setup it almost looks like the amp(kenwood) and the AR are so called married together. what I mean is that it plugs right into the amp, do other amps have the same plug ins. The last amp(xd700) I bought was probably back 2010 for my old 2001 truck.... upon further review writing this I see they still make this amp and it doesn't look llike it has the same plug ins as the kenwood. like to just buy another one of these amps to bridge to run fronts,back and 2 subs

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I just looked at the video again, that Kenwood unit is a DSP and amplifier combined into one. That makes sense with what you’re saying. Many higher end head units also have the Maestro connections built in.

Seems like a clean setup. You could check Crutchfield for some pricing info on the hardware, but I’d suggest heading over to the shop and talking to them. The worst that could happen is that you decide it’s too expensive.