10K pounds with 6-4 hemi Part 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I wanted to give a quick update because the other thread seemed to kinda get off track a bit.. I just got home with the new camper. it is 38'. Dry weight was 8550 LBS. They added the propane tanks full and a large battery so IM guessing somewhere in the neighborhood of another 100 pounds, maybe 130 lbs?
Anyway, I was extremely pleasantly surprised. The 3:73's did an adequate job and I took a route home that I could get on the interstate for about 5 miles with moderate hills etc. It had no issues holding 5th on level ground and even some short minor hills. I expect 3rd on really long moderate steep hills, but even then I'm only taching about 3400 rpm at 65, not bad at all.
On the backroads it cruised in 4th (i had the others locked out) at 45-50 Mph with no trouble.

BTW, Id like to post pictures, but apparently my photobucket account went all" you gotta pay us now" Anyone recommend a free hosting site?

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I use Imgur. Kinda sucks but its free (for now).

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Good to hear. I am curious do you use tow/haul mode. Whenever I used tow haul truck did not like to use 5th very much at all. And if it did it was never there long. Hope it performs well for you when you get her all loaded up. Congrats on the new camper! They rock.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mohemipar.. Thanks ill need to look into that site!

Blue streak, I do use tow haul mode, and it seems to shift to 5th fine during normal driving, but if it needs to downshift for a hill or something, then it takes a bit to upshift back to 5th.. I have actually taken it out of tow haul mode to shift and then put it back in.. Seems if you let your foot off far enough it upshifts fine, but when y our towing a load, you linda don't want to take your foot out of it.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
glad you're pleased!

you can load some pictures to your account here on the forum

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
8550# dry should put you pretty close to 10K loaded and the truck should handle that fine. Even with the 3.73 gears you will love it. With my 11K 5th wheel it seems I'm in 2nd or 4th most of the time. 2nd is good right up to 60 MPH. The real power seems to be around 3-5K RPM which is about 40-60 MPH. I've hauled up steep grades at altitude and been able to easily maintain speed. This engine is a total beast. The biggest issue you'll have is if/when you dip too low to hold 2nd. There's just a ****-show around 30-40 on steep grades with your setup (and mine). Otherwise, this truck is close to perfect.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ Argument for 4:88 gears right there lol