10K pounds with the 6.4 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We are looking at a larger camper.. This turck pulls my current one great with the 3:73 and has gotten better as I have gotten more miles on it now. My camper is in the 6500 pound range I would "guess" based on the dry weight and what we carry. The one we are looking at is about 8700 dry so Im assuming probably 10K +/- in camping form heading to the campground.
While It may tow it home if we get it with the 3:73 I would quickly probably upgrade gears.. I feel that the 4:56 option would handle the weight pretty well. I'm guessing with 4:56 I could hold 5th on flat ground and probably be in 4th and third on longer pulls, which is about where I am now with the 3:73 and lighter weight.. What is the general consensus? Is this a somewhat correct line of thinking? I have a rear diff issue anyway that I am still trying to get resolved under warranty and If I get this camper, ill probably say screw it cause im tired of dealing with it.

OF note, the truck rarely sees interstate usage when not towing and probably driven 75% on back roads and in town, so I dont think the gearing will hurt me too much on MPG.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have pulled 11k+ lbs from the east coast to the midwest and back twice with the same setup you have. That's through the mountains of VA, WV, and PA. Personally, I think it does a good job. It's not a diesel and I don't expect it to pull like one.

If I were pulling those weights more frequently, I'd just go diesel. In my opinion, putting those gears in a gasser is like putting running shoes on the fat kid and expecting him to be an athlete. He could finish the race, but he definitely won't win any trophies. It's all about expectations, not capability. Your current setup is plenty capable. That is a fact, not an opinion.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have pulled 11k+ lbs from the east coast to the midwest and back twice with the same setup you have. That's through the mountains of VA, WV, and PA. Personally, I think it does a good job. It's not a diesel and I don't expect it to pull like one.

If I were pulling those weights more frequently, I'd just go diesel. In my opinion, putting those gears in a gasser is like putting running shoes on the fat kid and expecting him to be an athlete. He could finish the race, but he definitely won't win any trophies. It's all about expectations, not capability. Your current setup is plenty capable. That is a fact, not an opinion.

Well that certainly puts a different spin on things..I grew up in WV and if your pulling that weight in WV hills that says something.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That's all stock drivetrain besides a cold air intake and 35" tires. The only thing I've done is replaced all fluids with Amsoil.

These days, half ton pickups are rated for 10k+ towing. I think the 2500s are greatly underrated, because I've owned both and their towing characteristics are night and day different, not just a few thousand different.

As long as you don't mind not crossing the finish line first, you'll be fine.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
4.10 gears should be good.. but 4.56 cant hurt..

Its the mountain passes that will matter... flat should be ok

But honestly if you dont mind being slow... your current setup is fine

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4:56 or 4:88 if you are going to crack open the difs.

Reactions: U&A

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
As Rampant said... you should be good. Unless you are towing often I don't think it would be worth all of the trouble & money to change gears. Docpaulo stated 4.10's should be good but if you do decide to change out I would pass on the 4.10's & go straight to the 4.56. It's definitely not worth the hassle just to bump to the 4.10's.
I am still kicking myself for not ordering the 4.10's when I got my truck. It was like a $150 option at the time. I was all worried I might lose a little mpg's but I haven't seen anybody say there is a measurable difference in the two gear choices.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep lol.. Gotta love it. $150 from the factory and $2k plus after the fact.

I was quoted about 4800 from the dealer!

I look to tow probably 5-7 times a season, so round trip thats 10-14 times a year I suppose.
BUT some of it is up into wv, and I always hated that I-77 up to fancy gap from down around Mount airy, its long and fairly steep. I pull it in third at 65 with no trouble with the current trailer, but I imagine definitely being in second screaming for 7 miles or so with the 3:73s which bugs the crap out of me . Hmmmm.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a guy on here that transports with 3:73”s and he has over 180k miles, loves his truck. Just depends on ur wants and needs. Wish there was a 4:56 option. With MDS a higher gear option should net better mileage for real world driving.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 16 2500 with the 3.73 i hate them. I had the 3.92 in my 1500 way better. I also run larger tires on all my trucks. I wanted the 4.10 but nothing was around my area with the package I wanted. I stole my truck so I took it off there lot. I'm currently in the process of getting 4.56 gears in mine. $2200 for the gears and install from a specialty ring and pinion shop. And another $555 for the mag hytec diff covers from Matt at moes. So not cheap at all to do it after the fact.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 16 2500 with the 3.73 i hate them. I had the 3.92 in my 1500 way better. I also run larger tires on all my trucks. I wanted the 4.10 but nothing was around my area with the package I wanted. I stole my truck so I took it off there lot. I'm currently in the process of getting 4.56 gears in mine. $2200 for the gears and install from a specialty ring and pinion shop. And another $555 for the mag hytec diff covers from Matt at moes. So not cheap at all to do it after the fact.

Im at 3200 with Yukon gears front and rear and all bearings fluids and labor etc.. I think the Yukons are a tad more expensive than some others but they are supposed to be well made.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
There is a guy on here that transports with 3:73”s and he has over 180k miles, loves his truck. Just depends on ur wants and needs. Wish there was a 4:56 option. With MDS a higher gear option should net better mileage for real world driving.

Yeah he is over 200,000 now. Doesn't seem to bother him at all. I think if that is all I was doing with my truck I would set it up with a little shorter legs.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What kind of weight is he pulling?

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Im at 3200 with Yukon gears front and rear and all bearings fluids and labor etc.. I think the Yukons are a tad more expensive than some others but they are supposed to be well made.
Yep getting Yukon. Talked to a few guys on here about 4.56 or 4.88 just think 4.88 will be too much for my needs

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I think the member 68PW is talking about is in the "How many miles on your 6.4" thread a lot. For those that have already changed your gears, did you do it because you have towed 10K+ and weren't satisfied, or you just want more low end with big tires? Generally, people who put big tires on their trucks aren't serious about towing anything.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since you grew up in West Virginia:

I live in Charleston and have a 6.4 with the 4.10 gears. I tow a 34' Jayco that is 7800 empty. We have been to TN by way of the WV Turnpike, if you are familiar with the southern areas of WV. My truck tows just fine and will hold 3rd on most hills when going at least 60mph. If it is a back road, where the speed limit is lower, then I have shifted down to 2nd. But, for what I tow, maybe 5-6 times a year, my gasser is perfect. I love my truck, plus being gas I have more payload with the coil spring setup. I plan to eventually maybe swap gears, but if I don't, then it will be more than adequate.

These new HD trucks with gas engines are putting out the power and torque that the diesels of yesteryear put out. It's just at a higher RPM than a diesel, making it sounds like it is working harder. But, I can hit 6th if I take it out of tow haul down on I40 through TN, shifting to 4th or 5th on hills.

Hope it helps you some. If you need more specifics I can try to provide any info I can for you.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A lot of people are afraid of high revving their engine...

The reality is the hemi is built for high revs under load... it is not damaging it in any way other than burning fuel faster than normal...

As the old timers used to say... it cleans out the carbon...

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since you grew up in West Virginia:

I live in Charleston and have a 6.4 with the 4.10 gears. I tow a 34' Jayco that is 7800 empty. We have been to TN by way of the WV Turnpike, if you are familiar with the southern areas of WV. My truck tows just fine and will hold 3rd on most hills when going at least 60mph. If it is a back road, where the speed limit is lower, then I have shifted down to 2nd. But, for what I tow, maybe 5-6 times a year, my gasser is perfect. I love my truck, plus being gas I have more payload with the coil spring setup. I plan to eventually maybe swap gears, but if I don't, then it will be more than adequate.

These new HD trucks with gas engines are putting out the power and torque that the diesels of yesteryear put out. It's just at a higher RPM than a diesel, making it sounds like it is working harder. But, I can hit 6th if I take it out of tow haul down on I40 through TN, shifting to 4th or 5th on hills.

Hope it helps you some. If you need more specifics I can try to provide any info I can for you.

Hey Mountaineer! So what do you think your real world weight is with the jayco, you say 7800 empty, but do you tow it empty often, or do you load it up for camping? Curious, Thanks!

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of people are afraid of high revving their engine...

The reality is the hemi is built for high revs under load... it is not damaging it in any way other than burning fuel faster than normal...

As the old timers used to say... it cleans out the carbon...

I have a confession.. I loved my Ecoboost I had before this truck, Hated the sound. When I was running it hard it sounded like a family sedan. and now that I have a truck that sounds like a truck, I just don't like the sound of revving it over 3500 rpm for any length of time, like a long hill on the interstate for instance, I'm weird I guess!