10K pounds with the 6.4 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Just an update. I bought A new 2018 Cherokee limited 304 BH Trailer this afternoon, I pick it up Friday, Ill see how it does I suppose! Dry weight is slightly lower than the one I was looking at, 8500 vs 8900..
I bet that will be awesome! let us know how the new revised pull does....Congratulations on your new Cherokee!

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In my 2002 1500 5.7 Hemi, I used superchips to modify the gear ratio. It cost me about $400 and I could modify to higher mileage or stronger towing. Just upgraded to 2500 6.4 HD 4X4 because I have a 13K boat I will be towing. I will look into superchips for this one as well. I have pulled 14 round bales with gooseneck with the 1500. Rams are awesome.

I'm interested as well as how it modified the gear ratios. Did you mean shift points?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ I wouldn’t use “super chips” on a newer gen truck just because so much more can be had from greene or Hemi fever.

12k pound towing with a half ton.... such over kill... I bet that is a scary scary ride pulling that much weight with such a small truck. Which is funny cause the consensus around here is gas Hd up to about 12k-13k and diesel hd after that. I thought a 2012 eco boost with a 28ft toy hauler behind it felt light on the front tires... just imagine 4K more pounds back there. Just my 2 cents..

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ I wouldn’t use “super chips” on a newer gen truck just because so much more can be had from greene or Hemi fever.

12k pound towing with a half ton.... such over kill... I bet that is a scary scary ride pulling that much weight with such a small truck. Which is funny cause the consensus around here is gas Hd up to about 12k-13k and diesel hd after that. I thought a 2012 eco boost with a 28ft toy hauler behind it felt light on the front tires... just imagine 4K more pounds back there. Just my 2 cents..

I own a 1/2 ton and tow about 8500 to 9500 lbs with it at times, pulling a Pontoon ,pull behind,Tandem flatbed. With no issues pulling the weight providing I adjust the speeds for the speeds and conditions. Always though I could do little more over its weigh rating of 9900 would be easy but not done it. Ram is saying now for 2019 with a 1/2 ton you can pull 12700 max. I really do not think Ram would expose their-self to the legal ramifications if its unsafe. If pulling for long distances more frequently may be best for a larger capacity.

One the largest issues of pulling campers/Trailers over the last 15 years when the 1/2 limits started with increases of pulling capacities with quality of build do we see many people who are unsafe with the trucks being safe. I will argue all day long pulling any loads below capacities of each series trucks at high speeds,Wet Pavement,Wind gusts days are very unsafe to say the least. The last 10 years is really bad. For quite many its I can pull more faster than you!! When I see 75 MPH pulling any thing with a PICKUP TRUCK I'm not impressed!

I have 2500 gas pass me pulling same weight or near my weight at 75 and 85 MPH!! LOOK AT ME!!! Its down right crazy to pull any trailers much over 60 MPH and be safe.The diesels have no better stopping power or stability than the gas. The 3500 dullies have passed me upwards of 85 MPH!! I would call that way past OVERKILL Just glad they pass and move on away from me. I would rather have a 1/2,3/4 or 1 Ton pulling at safe speeds at their limits with me on the road than high speeds at or under their limits at killer speeds with a load.

The diablo tuner with a Jay Greene Tune or Hemi fever Tune is not going to help a bit with towing at or near weight capacities. Many things come in to play with towing. Tongue weights as well play huge factors.The type and make of the hitching helps by far more than a Tune will.My weight limits is 9800 some 1/2 tons go to 10500.

If the new weight capacities do not feel safe at the new rate then move up to another truck or trade down in camper weight. I can pull 5400 Lbs pontoon dont know its back there hardly but my speed limit is 60 if dry ,no wind, and light traffic.....if not, slow to 50 or even less if I need too. If I become an "Obsticle" I speed up or slow down to not be.

The Driver ,equipment along with condition of what your pulling and weather factor all come in to play as most important keeping with the weight capacities of the pull vehicle. Nothing better than sharing the road with others who are pulling safe with you on the road.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You miss took what I meant by a Mile. You are 100% right for the most part. Where I am used to towing it is all grades.
At the end of the day towing that kind of weight with a N/A motor, the simple bolt ons are going to have a minimal effect, however extra horsepower and torque is extra hp and tq, no one is going to say no to it. But come on man you
Know as well as I do any forced induction vehicle is going to benefit from tuning, especially a small displacement motor with a turbo on it, so yes tuning can help towing depending on the application. I am glad you tow ur heavy boat and it works for you. The terrain, and weather I am used to towing in, it wouldn’t suit me. I also feel that if someone can get more HP/Tq our of their vehicle they are not going to say “ nope don’t do it” I don’t have a tuner yet, but I am pretty sure greene can change up some parameters on the tranny in my 2500 6.4, but I could be wrong, wouldn’t be the first time. Again this is just my opinion.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your absolutely right On having more HP on any motor cant hurt for sure and will help some, but its not going to change the weights for payloads and towing to any big degree at all on each series of trucks. I can't tell the difference between the stock tow/Haul mode or the the Tow mode on the diablo tuner either, I most certainly would not run jay greens tune when towing. I cannot speak for Hemi fever tunes since I have not ran one from Hemi fever. The Diablo with JG tunes you can sure tell the difference not towing any thing and MPG run s up a few MPG too.

IMO opinion HP tunes are for racing more than towing....Turbos and Superchargers are Different than tunes. A Turbo on a diesel will most certainly benefit in HP and tow same as with the 5.7 or 6.4 with Superchargers but your not changing the Frames, Wheel bases, Lug sizes etc with a tuner or supercharger.

If you increase Payload by Increasing Wheel Base then Increase axle size you most certainly can increase your pull capacity and can increase torque with rear gear change in all of the three Size trucks with out ever increasing HP ,which would be more significant than a tune for Transmission shift and Timing of the Motor.

The Pull capacity is what it is by the manufacture and pulling inside the capacities of each is what the design and costs are. The Preference of each driver may be different, which is fine, but may not not be needed or Required. I would prefer saving $$ but If money was not an object, operating costs, Garage Space, Insurance, Purchase Prices Etc. I have seen many who prefer a 3500 Ram to pull a 6000 Lb Pontoon boat....Nothing wrong with it it its what they prefer but its not needed is all I,m saying the person who ask if he needed 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton to pull with.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are getting to in-depth with it. These is so much data that has to be collected to make the decision of 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton from the stance you are taking. The best solution for the O.P would be to drive each and if he has friends with each, tow a load with each and see wich he prefers. Because at the end of the day, numbers are numbers and feelings are feelings. I value the numbers, but my gut, and common sense dictates my decisions.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I own a 1/2 ton and tow about 8500 to 9500 lbs with it at times, pulling a Pontoon ,pull behind,Tandem flatbed. With no issues pulling the weight providing I adjust the speeds for the speeds and conditions. Always though I could do little more over its weigh rating of 9900 would be easy but not done it. Ram is saying now for 2019 with a 1/2 ton you can pull 12700 max. I really do not think Ram would expose their-self to the legal ramifications if its unsafe. If pulling for long distances more frequently may be best for a larger capacity.

One the largest issues of pulling campers/Trailers over the last 15 years when the 1/2 limits started with increases of pulling capacities with quality of build do we see many people who are unsafe with the trucks being safe. I will argue all day long pulling any loads below capacities of each series trucks at high speeds,Wet Pavement,Wind gusts days are very unsafe to say the least. The last 10 years is really bad. For quite many its I can pull more faster than you!! When I see 75 MPH pulling any thing with a PICKUP TRUCK I'm not impressed!

I have 2500 gas pass me pulling same weight or near my weight at 75 and 85 MPH!! LOOK AT ME!!! Its down right crazy to pull any trailers much over 60 MPH and be safe.The diesels have no better stopping power or stability than the gas. The 3500 dullies have passed me upwards of 85 MPH!! I would call that way past OVERKILL Just glad they pass and move on away from me. I would rather have a 1/2,3/4 or 1 Ton pulling at safe speeds at their limits with me on the road than high speeds at or under their limits at killer speeds with a load.

The diablo tuner with a Jay Greene Tune or Hemi fever Tune is not going to help a bit with towing at or near weight capacities. Many things come in to play with towing. Tongue weights as well play huge factors.The type and make of the hitching helps by far more than a Tune will.My weight limits is 9800 some 1/2 tons go to 10500.

If the new weight capacities do not feel safe at the new rate then move up to another truck or trade down in camper weight. I can pull 5400 Lbs pontoon dont know its back there hardly but my speed limit is 60 if dry ,no wind, and light traffic.....if not, slow to 50 or even less if I need too. If I become an "Obsticle" I speed up or slow down to not be.

The Driver ,equipment along with condition of what your pulling and weather factor all come in to play as most important keeping with the weight capacities of the pull vehicle. Nothing better than sharing the road with others who are pulling safe with you on the road.

Well said. Thankfully most pleasure towing is done with safety and reasonable speeds. There's always some idiots that think just because they can tow at 75 mph its a good thing to do. I'm with you- when one of them come flying up on me I just want them to go around and get the hell away.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well said. Thankfully most pleasure towing is done with safety and reasonable speeds. There's always some idiots that think just because they can tow at 75 mph its a good thing to do. I'm with you- when one of them come flying up on me I just want them to go around and get the hell away.

Yes Sir!! Its scary as hell at times. Really scary the ones pulling a camper that is in very old and bad shape too.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are getting to in-depth with it. These is so much data that has to be collected to make the decision of 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton from the stance you are taking. The best solution for the O.P would be to drive each and if he has friends with each, tow a load with each and see wich he prefers. Because at the end of the day, numbers are numbers and feelings are feelings. I value the numbers, but my gut, and common sense dictates my decisions.

I am the OP, and the only question I had was regarding towing 10K with a 2500 6.4 and factory 3:73 gears.. how this slid into 1/2 ton trucks towing 12K pounds, I do not know... Especially on an HD thread. I have zero plans to go back to a 1/2 ton

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your correct! Don't know why I even care about a 3/4 ton. I have no need for one at the moment at all. Sorry to deviate from your thread. I'm out!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No worries, could of been the reference I made a few posts back,

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your correct! Don't know why I even care about a 3/4 ton. I have no need for one at the moment at all. Sorry to deviate from your thread. I'm out!

Yea, no worries, I just didn't want anyone thinking I was contemplating going back to a 1/2 ton! Im quite happy with my truck, just going up in weight towing by about 2500-3K pounds over my current camper and wanted to get advice!

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Heater I tow a Jayco Eagle HT 324bhts TT. 8900 dry 10k loaded. Pretty much same setup you are looking at. I towed down to Tennesse from NW ohio last year. I had a 2015 ccsb 4x4 with 6.4 and 4.10 gears. All stock truck. In tow haul truck didnt like 5th gear at all it would bearly hit it pretty much had to have a tail wind. So it was pretty much 4th gear most times. I no longer have the truck as I ended up not caring for the Ram platform and transmission. If you regear def. go with 4.56 or 4.88. Here is a link to my review on that tow.

http://www.ramforum.com/threads/8-hour-pull-6-4-hemi-4-10-gears.105192/

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What did you end up buying?

Guzzirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What kind of gas mileage do you get with 6.4

I had an 04 and 06 2500 Cummins when I lived in CO and they were great for towing in the Mtn passes at 10,000' plus. I moved to Bama and only have a small trailer now so new truck is a 2016 1500 5.7 with 3:92 gears I plan on moving back to Rockies and are debating another diesel or 6.4 2500. Diesel option has gotten expensive

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
What did you end up buying?

I ended up ordering a 2017 Ford F250 CCLB XLT 6.2 V8 4.30 gears. It was the truck i was going to order in 2015 when i bought the Ram. Bought the Ram because it was available and price was right. Its a very nice truck as was the Ram but the Ram and I just didnt blend well.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Congrats, good luck with the new truck! Friend of mine bought almost the exact same truck after he sold his Raptor. His only regret is the lack of posi and as a result the truck pretty bad in snow without 4wd. So hopefully you ordered that option:)

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Congrats, good luck with the new truck! Friend of mine bought almost the exact same truck after he sold his Raptor. His only regret is the lack of posi and as a result the truck pretty bad in snow without 4wd. So hopefully you ordered that option:)

Thanks! The 4.30 automatically gives you a Electric selectable locking differential. For 390 bucks its a no brainer. I usually let the truck do its thing. Only used the locker a couple times so far to see what it did. Usually the traction control does good to limit wheel slip like a limited slip and youre good. Even with traction control working it does not seem to limit throttle input too much. It still lets the truck rev up and start eating. Then you can here trying to brake the wheel thats slipping. Kinda like the 2012 grand cherokee we used to have except it did that at all 4 corners which made it handle very well in snow. Here is a link to a post i put up of my observations between the two trucks if anyone is interested. All in all the rpm ranges are about the same in both trucks its just the Ford is up a gear higher compared to the Ram and it pulls harder in every gear so it is less apt to downshift.

http://www.ramforum.com/threads/those-whove-traded.110383/page-6#post-1594232

Last edited: